... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful to teletone

Premium Member

to teletone

Re: cleaning corrosion off the inside of a tiny connector

Good quality fine pitch connectors are usually not prone to oxidation or corrosion.

Some of the allow is supposed to rub off each time to keep the contacts clean. Grease and dirt can prevent that.

teletone
join:2010-06-07
Toronto, On

teletone

said by lutful:

Good quality fine pitch connectors are usually not prone to oxidation or corrosion.

Some of the allow is supposed to rub off each time to keep the contacts clean. Grease and dirt can prevent that.

the connector was wet at one point. i have repeatedly soaked the connector with isopropanol and blew it out with duster which helped quite a bit but one of the pins is still green. i wonder if i let the isopropanol sit in the connector for about 15 minutes, keeping the connector wet all the whole time, then dusting it off would make a difference? i should put a corroded penny in a cup of isopropanol and time how long it takes to clean.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

said by teletone:i should put a corroded penny in a cup of isopropanol and time how long it takes to clean.

prediction based on high school chemistry: infinity.

teletone
Toronto, On

teletone

said by dave:

said by teletone:i should put a corroded penny in a cup of isopropanol and time how long it takes to clean.

prediction based on high school chemistry: infinity.

yup, hours later and no change. "no pun intended"
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
Ottawa, ON

1 edit

lutful to teletone

Premium Member

to teletone
said by teletone:

the connector was wet at one point ...

Of course. Water is used to clean PCBs and FPCs at the factory.
»www.smta.org/chapters/fi ··· lean.pdf

P.S. MSDS lists some of the chemicals for MG 406B Super Wash ... please add the numbers to see roughly what percentage is left for any chemical you wish to ridicule.

teletone
Toronto, On

teletone

i meant it got wet from a water spill and was allowed to stay wet for weeks. it seems the water followed the flat flex cable (which i refereed to as the ribbon cable earlier) and got into the connector. the PCB connector was green in many spots on the outside and i cleaned it all off with cotton swabs and isopropanol. unfortunately, i can't clean the inside really well. the third or forth pin from the left is green on the inside of that connector. i had to use a small flashlight and a magnifying glass to see it. will 406B get rid of that green? it seems more of a degreaser. the deoxit looks like it will remove the green but i'm worried about its effects on the flat flex cable and how to/ and if i have to clean the deoxit off.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
Ottawa, ON

1 edit

lutful

Premium Member

Your "green" is probably much more copper carbonate than copper sulphate.

Check app note and MSDS for that DeOxit stuff. Lithium-based "deoxidizer" pastes, meant for rubbing on/off larger copper surfaces, could actually clog up the fine pitch connector and ruin the delicate end of the flat flex cable.

You can inject (literally, with a fine needle) a clear solution which has approx 5g pure salt completely dissolved in 250ml clear 5% vinegar and has been passed through a bleached coffee filter.

You have to immediately flush it out with warm distilled water injected same way and dry thoroughly. Adding some isopropyl alcohol helps evaporation of residual water by binding the molecules.

teletone
Toronto, On

teletone

said by lutful:

Your "green" is probably much more copper carbonate than copper sulphate.

Check app note and MSDS for that DeOxit stuff. Lithium-based "deoxidizer" pastes, meant for rubbing on/off larger copper surfaces, could actually clog up the fine pitch connector and ruin the delicate end of the flat flex cable.

i purchased the deoxit D100L-2C last night. i checked the MSDS and technical info for that specific product and didn't see anything. to my knowledge, this one is a liquid and not a paste. i would never put a paste in that tiny connector.

link: »store.caig.com/s.nl/it.A ··· .1610/.f
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
Ottawa, ON

lutful

Premium Member

I have never encountered such an MSDS ... difluoroethane base + a few percent trade secret. So if a kid squirts it into drinking water like those Mio ads ... who do you call?

Just to keep a list for posterity ... there is another product called "De-Ox-ID" from GC Chemicals which has difluoroethane with heptane and naptha. MG Super Wash has difluoroethane, pentane, butane, hexane, etc. All are known ingredients.

teletone
Toronto, On

teletone to lutful

to lutful
said by lutful:

You can inject (literally, with a fine needle) a clear solution which has approx 5g pure salt completely dissolved in 250ml clear 5% vinegar and has been passed through a bleached coffee filter.

You have to immediately flush it out with warm distilled water injected same way and dry thoroughly. Adding some isopropyl alcohol helps evaporation of residual water by binding the molecules.

all i have is iodized table salt, sea salt and rock salt. is regular iodized table salt acceptable?

i assume clear vinegar is the same as white?

what is the maximum time in seconds the salt/vinegar solution stay on/in the fine pitch connector?

should i just flush with the S/V solution, flush with warm distilled water, flush with isopropanol, without wasting any seconds waiting in between?
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
Ottawa, ON

lutful

Premium Member

White vinegar is OK as long as it is usually 5% acetic acid in water. There is only 10-20mg/kg iodine as potassium iodate in table salt. Warming the vinegar will help to dissolve salt faster but cool down to 40C before injecting.

The mixture needs to dissolve the green copper carbonate and any blue/green copper sulphate. Those areas will absorb enough of the mixture and start changing color. You can rinse at the point. If no color change occurs, rinse after 10 minutes, dry and try a few more times.