All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
nexuz1647
join:2013-07-13

nexuz1647

QoS for gaming

I hope this is the right place to ask this, I'm pretty new to forums.

I would like to optimize my QoS for gaming, I often get ping spikes and jitter when someone else on my networks just opens up a browser or stream a youtube clip. My internet download speed is about 250 kilobyte per second which as far as I know should be enough for both gaming and streaming clips, surfing the web, etc.

I have a Netgear WNR2000v3 router. I'm not very experienced at any of this so if you intend to give me a helping hand please be thorough and don't assume that I know very much.

Best regards

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by nexuz1647:

My internet download speed is about 250 kilobyte per second which as far as I know should be enough for both gaming and streaming clips, surfing the web, etc.

lol nope. not nearly close

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium Member
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT

Moos to nexuz1647

Premium Member

to nexuz1647
250 KBps is roughly 2MBps which is fine for gaming by itself. Krisn is correct, your pushing your luck trying to stream and game at the same time with that speed. QOS will allow you too prioritize your internet traffic, but you simply do not have enough bandwidth for simultaneously gaming and streaming without having some issues.
nexuz1647

nexuz1647

Okay, but I would be able to prioritize the game application so that I wouldn't get high ping when someone tries to stream?
tdumaine
Premium Member
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

tdumaine

Premium Member

said by nexuz1647:

Okay, but I would be able to prioritize the game application so that I wouldn't get high ping when someone tries to stream?

If you have a router that supports QoS functions yes, no idea if yours does or not
nexuz1647

nexuz1647

It does have a QoS function and i've tried to get it to work properly a lot. If I set as an example uTorrent as lowest priority and the internet browser application to highest priority the QoS does its duty just fine but it doesn't work for games, I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or QoS is just simply not designed to work on applications that require low ping. Please forgive my lack of knowledge on the subject and if you need more information in order to try to help me please ask away. All help is really appreciated.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

A quick google search leads to...

»lifehacker.com/326543/en ··· -need-it
nexuz1647

nexuz1647

If that link would've been helpful to me I would've solved this problem a long time ago, I have tried everything that is said in that post and nothing works, I still get high ping in games if I just open a youtube clip.

JB9
Stay Gold
Premium Member
join:2009-05-14

JB9

Premium Member

You are being bottlenecked by your crappy connection line, not much you can do except get a faster line.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to nexuz1647

Premium Member

to nexuz1647
said by nexuz1647:

If that link would've been helpful to me I would've solved this problem a long time ago, I have tried everything that is said in that post and nothing works, I still get high ping in games if I just open a youtube clip.

Then it sounds like QoS won't work. You either can watch your Youtube clip or play your game, but not both.

If it is any consolation, I pay for 50 Mbps, but see speeds as high as 110+ Mbps, and Youtube still performs like crap on my connection.
tman852
join:2010-07-06
Columbus, OH

tman852 to nexuz1647

to nexuz1647
Built in QoS won't do shit on a router that you can't set the max down and up speeds.

I'm using DD-WRT firmware which lets you set the max up and down, which you put slightly below the max on your connection. That way at any point it is not using every spare bit on your line, lowering the latency regardless of what you're doing. Got the MAC addresses of every device and you can set device priority rather than application priority. I only have a 3mb down connection because of distance from the VRAD box (U-Verse), anyone in the house can be streaming youtube and my latency in games goes up no more than maybe 20ms. It's already low as it is with AT&T, I'm getting 20ms to Chicago.

I looked up your router and it supports MAC address QoS prioritization, that's the way to go if you have a small home network.