NytOwl
join:2012-09-27
canada

NytOwl to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn

Re: [Cable] "wonderful" tech support

Martin,

You're missing the point.

I acknowledge that it's a very slippery slope if agents start to just fill out mandatory forms will-nilly with whatever information they presume necessary.

Now, see my other statement here:
said by NytOwl:

To be clear: I do agree that troubleshooting steps are needed and warranted for almost every kind of issue there is. ... Except this kind. I'm amazed it bears repeating: the cable feed is physically cut on the outside of the premises.

Please explain the logic where any type of troubleshooting steps with the modem and cabling/connections inside the residence should be required here. Do you expect the cable modem to be power-cycled and magically conjure a signal from the cut line? Really?

[...]

This kind of needless time-wasting bureaucracy makes me twitch to no end.

- Do you guys have a job to do? Yes.

- Are some aspects of it frustrating? Yes.

- Are there procedures that you "must" follow, no matter how insane they are and how much they go against plain common sense? Yes.

That third point is the problem.

While I agree about the need for procedure and the importance of following it, there should also be an exception in place for something so obvious as this scenario, so as to not waste the customer's time.

I'm baffled by how defensive you're seemingly being about that.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by NytOwl:

- Do you guys have a job to do? Yes.

- Are some aspects of it frustrating? Yes.

- Are there procedures that you "must" follow, no matter how insane they are and how much they go against plain common sense? Yes.

While I agree about the need for procedure and the importance of following it, there should also be an exception in place for something so obvious as this scenario, so as to not waste the customer's time.

I'm baffled by how defensive you're seemingly being about that.

This kind of nonsense reminds me of dealing with the CSRs at Primus.

NytOwl
join:2012-09-27
canada

NytOwl

said by 34764170:

This kind of nonsense reminds me of dealing with the CSRs at Primus.

I worked at Primus (not as a CSR; I was in Business Support).

Don't even get me started on all the nonsensical bureaucratic BS that goes on over there. I could write a damn novel.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to NytOwl

to NytOwl
said by NytOwl:

No need for an "exception", just need to add branches to the initial troubleshooting scenario to handle the few "exceptions" where the customer reports one of those.

If a subscriber reports that his service is down due to cut cable, skip straight to steps that are relevant to confirming that 1) the modem is not bricked by logging into the management interface and 2) it still fails to find a signal at the main service entrance before any splitters or with everything else disconnected and a shorter cable. No point in wasting time resetting/rebooting the PC, modem, router, switches, etc. to troubleshoot IP connectivity issues when you have cable's equivalent of DSL's "no sync" issue.