how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

treichhart

join:2006-12-12

[Equipment] Solar backup?

Hey Guys
I am just wondering what kind of equipment you using for an battery backup going from solar and main power feed?

I am just looking to power one rocket m5 and I need some kind of inverter that is tie in from solar/main power feed from house to battery then back out to the POE but I cant find what I am looking for. Can anybody help me out with this?

Chele

join:2003-07-23
kudos:1
We had an inverter that had dual power inputs -- solar/wind & AC. Here is the bad news, that unit was around $900. Have you considered just going full DC? You could get a good quality charger and deep cycle batts.

treichhart

reply to treichhart
question is how many deep cycle batteries I would need to do one rocket m5 and 100 watt panel?

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
reply to treichhart
I do not follow specs of Ubiquiti stuff but you can use the info in this thread:
»solar/wind powered nodes: worst-case calculations

Look at the user manual of the Meanwell 3000W version for a block diagram of what is inside a commercial AC+Solar battery charging inverter. You may have to put together a cheaper DIY version using discrete components with much lower power ratings.

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to treichhart
said by treichhart:

I am just looking to power one rocket m5 and I need some kind of inverter that is tie in from solar/main power feed from house to battery then back out to the POE but I cant find what I am looking for. Can anybody help me out with this?

Why not just keep it DC and drop using an inverter?

treichhart

reply to treichhart
I am thinking about going full dc but I have to find way to keep the battery charged all times even when sun is not out and not giving an charge to the battery. So this is why I am asking about this.

Tuscaloosa, AL
said by treichhart:

I am thinking about going full dc but I have to find way to keep the battery charged all times even when sun is not out and not giving an charge to the battery. So this is why I am asking about this.

Well you only need 8 watts for the Rocket.

Where is this going to be located?

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to treichhart
This configuration might be an option for you...

If your load is low, and it looks like yours is, you can have 1 or 2 panels and several batteries.
--
Many believe, but few will question...I decline to be blind.

treichhart

reply to 54067323
Where this going be located at is at my house its my main feed for the backhaul internet connection

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
What is the distance from your house to the load?

treichhart

reply to treichhart
well less then 3ft from the house because the tower is connected to my garage.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
Do you mind describing your existing setup with regard to power and then what you want to do?

Do you have an existing solar setup??

treichhart

1 recommendation

reply to treichhart
the existing setup is that the poe adapter is connected to my garage wiring inside and what I want to do is have an solar with battery encase when power goes out the battery can be on backup.

I just want to have solar/grid to charge the battery.

Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to treichhart
said by treichhart:

Where this going be located at is at my house its my main feed for the backhaul internet connection

Sorry about that, I meant was where in in the world is this to be installed.

I do notice you are in Ohio, is that where this will be located?

Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to treichhart
said by treichhart:

If I have this correct, you want to run full solar when and for as long as the commercial power is out of service.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to treichhart
Typically these setups are for where there is no grid power, if you have this in your garage, where there is space and grid power, several batteries and a maintenance charger could run that rocket for a week. Seems solar is a lot of overkill.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

jcremin

join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI
kudos:3
reply to treichhart
said by treichhart:

the existing setup is that the poe adapter is connected to my garage wiring inside and what I want to do is have an solar with battery encase when power goes out the battery can be on backup.

I personally would skip the solar altogether. Spend the money on a few batteries and a small generator. I have a few sites running DC 12v to DC 24v off of a single 125AH deep cycle battery, and can keep nearly a dozen devices online for close to 24 hours. One Rocket could probably run for a week on a deep cycle battery. If you ever had a multi-day outage, just plug the battery charger into the generator every few days and top it off. I think solar would be a waste of money for this kind of setup.

treichhart

reply to treichhart
Alright so again how many batteries am I looking at and what kind of POE I am looking at because I know there some out there for DC to DC POE setup.

jcremin

Siren, WI
Exactly how much runtime do you want?

treichhart

reply to treichhart
I want an good week or so.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
What other network devices need to be supported during this time? What feeds the Rocket?

treichhart

reply to treichhart
its just the rocket it self noting else because my MK or routerboard will be down in my basement.

jcremin

Siren, WI

1 recommendation

reply to treichhart
Well, you could probably squeak out a full week on one 125ish AH deep cycle battery.

If you figure .5 amps for the rocket, that's 250 hours of run-time. Take off 20% to keep from completely draining the battery, and that gives you 200 hours, which is just over 8 days. A second deep cycle battery in parallel is cheap enough if you want to go easy on the battery, or if you decide you want to power more devices.

If it were met, I'd use the standard 125ish AH deep cycle battery that you can get at Walmart for around $100. Slap on a Samlex 12v 15A battery charger (these are nice units because they can act as a 12V power supply without overcharging the battery) and either run 12V directly from the battery, or get a Tycon 12v to 24v POE to maintain a steady voltage regardless of the battery or charger voltage, and you're pretty much set.

Rounding up slightly to include taxes or shipping, you're looking at about $150 for the charger, $100 for the battery, and $50 for the POE and some various connectors/fuses etc. For around $300 you should be able to have a full week of battery backup power, for one device.

I use an almost identical setup for about half a dozen towers of mine, giving me between 24 and 48 hours of battery run-time, given that I have between 5 and 12 devices on these towers, but I'm at closer to $800 invested due to extra POEs, fuse blocks, and enclosures. The nice thing is I can bring a generator to the tower and keep everything running while replenishing the batteries, or simply bring a fully charged battery to the site, and have another full day of up-time just by swapping out the battery.

Chele

reply to treichhart
OP
How come your MTK won't be on the battery backup? You mention being concerned about the UBNT, but not the MTK.

treichhart

reply to treichhart
MK will be on an separate battery back up just FYI

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
said by treichhart:

MK will be on an separate battery back up just FYI

Will it last a week too,? Not a lot of point in making the rocket last a week if the ethernet port is connected to nothing useful
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

treichhart

reply to treichhart
what do you mean not connected to noting useful please explain yourself.

Chele

said by treichhart:

what do you mean not connected to noting useful please explain yourself.

A dead MTK is useless (I believe this is what Inssomniak is referring to). Ideally, IMHO, the less points of failure you have the better off you will be. Having two separate UPS's is doubling the points of failure. Obviously, the MTK is connected to the Rocket via Ethernet, therefore, it would be very easy to have both units running off the same UPS.

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
said by Chele:

Obviously, the MTK is connected to the Rocket via Ethernet, therefore, it would be very easy to have both units running off the same UPS.

Sounds that way so have to wonder why Tim wants to complicate it.
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

treichhart

reply to treichhart
Or what I can do is put my cable modem/mk/rocket/BMU (powercode) onto one system but I just need to know how many batteries to do this with? because joe said one or 2 batteries could power the rocket for good week or so.