how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

eschamp

join:2003-10-12
Columbus, NJ

Security by Obscurity ;-)

The only way I can get the Netgear WNDR3700 and the ZyXEL WAP3205 to work together is if there is NO security.

Obviously, not an acceptable situation.

However, what if I entered the MAC addresses of the devices I would allow on my home network into the wireless radio devices. Would that keep others out?

Thanks.

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6

Spoofing a MAC address is one of the easiest "hacks" someone can do if they're trying to gain access to your network. All of the MAC addy's for client devices are broadcast in the clear, which gives a malicious user a handy list of authorized addresses.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
reply to eschamp

Mac address is not a security function or tool. Shouldn't be used like one.

eschamp

Columbus, NJ
reply to No_Strings

This is all quite new to me.

I have Wifi Analyzer on my Android phone. It displays APs. Should it be able to see those broadcast MAC addresses? If not, what tool will see them?

No_Strings
The OC

Kismet is what have used. Wireshark is also a good tool for packet viewing or analysis.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to eschamp

This will work also:

»www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

eschamp

Columbus, NJ

OK, I have INSSIDER 3 running on my laptop. I see MAC addresses of my neighbors' WAPs but not of any devices. I'm confused.

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06

said by eschamp:

OK, I have INSSIDER 3 running on my laptop. I see MAC addresses of my neighbors' WAPs but not of any devices. I'm confused.

If your laptop only is 2.4 it will not see anything in 5,0.

eschamp

Columbus, NJ

??? Shouldn't it see the MAC addresses of 2.4 devices?

bbear2
Premium

if the device you are monitoring it on supports 2.4, then yes.

eschamp

Columbus, NJ

Let's back up a bit. By 2.4 and 5.0, you are referring to the network speeds associated with 802.11n, right? All my devices support 2.4 -- laptop, desktop, three android devices, two rokus, etc.

bbear2
Premium

ok that's a start. Now, do they all support 'n"? Again, if the one listening does not support or has been configured to no use b/g, or n etc. then it won't see them.

The listener cannot see what it does not support or not configured for.

eschamp

Columbus, NJ

I'm using a Galaxy S3. It (via wifi analyzer) can see any number of 2.4 networks. How can I tell if they are "n"?

The S3 does support "n".

bbear2
Premium
reply to eschamp

said by eschamp:

This is all quite new to me.

I have Wifi Analyzer on my Android phone. It displays APs. Should it be able to see those broadcast MAC addresses? If not, what tool will see them?

Sorry. I can't speak to this app.

bbear2
Premium
reply to eschamp

said by eschamp:

InSSIDer should see all of the networks that the system running InSSIDer is capable of seeing. If you want to know what those are, you need to look at your NIC configuration and look for the frequency 2.4, 5.0 or both; and then also the version, b, g, n, or any combination of the above. How this is configured will vary depending on your wireless NIC.

eschamp

Columbus, NJ

I think we're talking about different things. Somebody earlier said that spoofing MAC addresses was easy, and I thought he meant spoofing the MAC address of a DEVICE, not a network.

You'll recall that I mentioned adding the MAC addresses of my devices to my router as a way of limiting who could connect to my network.

Incidentally, InSSIDER and Wifi Analyzer see all of the NETWORKS that reach me.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp

said by eschamp:

I think we're talking about different things. Somebody earlier said that spoofing MAC addresses was easy, and I thought he meant spoofing the MAC address of a DEVICE, not a network.

»fe.gd/Caa

said by eschamp:

You'll recall that I mentioned adding the MAC addresses of my devices to my router as a way of limiting who could connect to my network.

You can whitelist your MACs. Doing so prohibits all other devices not on the whitelist to be denied connections.

said by eschamp:

Incidentally, InSSIDER and Wifi Analyzer see all of the NETWORKS that reach me.

That is about all you're going to get for free...
--
Many believe, but few will question...I decline to be blind.

eschamp

Columbus, NJ

Intertesting. Can you see network packets just floating through the air or do you have to be "on" the network?

eschamp

Columbus, NJ
reply to John Galt

said by John Galt:

said by eschamp:

You can whitelist your MACs. Doing so prohibits all other devices not on the whitelist to be denied connections

Is whitelisting the same as adding them to a table in the router?

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp

said by eschamp:

Is whitelisting the same as adding them to a table in the router?

Yes.

No_Strings
The OC
reply to eschamp

Http://Kismetwireless.net