share rss forum feed

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

Clutch proglems: Questions

Sister and BIL left me with a car while I am here house and pet sitting. It's an old Honda Accord. The thing has a lot of miles on it, and told sister on the phone that the clutch is slipping on it. This already happend with thier other car right after I drove it for 2 days, so now my BIL things I am abusing his cars, and yet I drive like an old grandmother, I've been babying the cars. What can I saw in my defense if he tries blaming me for both clutches going bad? Both cars have a LOT of miles on them and are like 10-15 years old, both Hondas. I'm nervous sick over this, I am very worried my BIL is going to blame me and lose his cool.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
The OC
kudos:6
I'd say "Watch your own damned house next time."

Sounds to me like one of them rides the clutch, which is far worse on it than whatever hot rodding you could do in an Accord.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to signmeuptoo
Make sure that the clutch system is functioning properly and if using a cable instead of a hydraulic system make sure that the proper clutch pedal free-play is present (adjust cable if needed). On hydraulic systems make sure there are no leaks (starting with Clutch Master Cylinder using attached or remote reservoir all the way to the Clutch Slave Cylinder including connecting pipe or hose). Finally verify that the fluid is full in the Clutch Master reservoir.

Now if everything checks out, ask to go for a ride letting each one drive while you ride shotgun or middle backseat (whichever position affords you the best view to watch their feet) and without telling them why observe the movement of their feet and watch how they use or mis-use the clutch. It may shed some light on the situation once you do the above.

Good Luck to you!
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to No_Strings
I used to drive a standard and drive a shitload, since I was a courier who used his own car, in Houston traffic. I consider myself a very good driver, for instance, I come to a complete stop at ss and lights, drive about 5-7 over the limit and never more, or the limit, observe limit signs for curves, and so forth. Before they left he told me that the clutch wasn't perfect, but now that I express concerns he claims he never had a problem, implying I've somehow screwed up. I do downshift (that was how I was taught to drive) is that what I'm doing wrong. I'm very very upset about this.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
Downshifting is fine unless you are doing it way too soon making the engine have to rev up a lot (4500 RPM/5000 RPM and higher) to match the trans speed of the lower gear. Also a factor is how long you let the clutch slip between shifts up and down. Excess slippage will wear the clutch disc out very quickly. If you smell the clutch then you are overheating it and it has a smell like overheated brakes/burnished brakes which means you are driving way too aggressive.

Now if the clutch is slipping under load or going up a hill in 4th or 5th then the clutch disc is worn out and there isn't much you can do except baby it until a new clutch can be installed. That assumes there is nothing wrong with the cable or hydraulic system (which ever it has).

Diagnose a Slipping Clutch in Your Car
»www.wikihow.com/Diagnose-a-Slipp···Your-Car

Clutch Diagnosis & Repair
»www.aa1car.com/library/2004/bf40459.htm
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Dodge
Premium
join:2002-11-27
reply to No_Strings
said by No_Strings:

I'd say "Watch your own damned house next time."

+1