Search similar:

uniqs
noebl1
join:2003-01-03
MA, USA

1 edit

noebl1

New options to upgrade to the GPON tiers from BPON

Do you typically update the hubs as the CO is updated with GPON capabilities, or do they update the hub on demand when a customer places an order? Just curious as this town has had FIOS for awhile, and was only BPON capable. A few months ago saw a couple times some Verizon guys working on our neighborhood hub. Since last year service was pretty sluggish, then a month or so ago has been rock solid and living up to advertised speeds. Then out of the blue A couple weeks ago (no flyers or notifications) we had the new options to upgrade to the GPON tiers. I have a tech coming out tomorrow, so hoping it wasn't a database mistake...

-Mike
buckweet1980
join:2011-12-31
Saint Petersburg, FL

buckweet1980

Re: Will VZ-Fios do something about Optimum new tiers?

said by noebl1:

Do you typically update the hubs as the CO is updated with GPON capabilities, or do they update the hub on demand when a customer places an order? Just curious as this town has had FIOS for awhile, and was only BPON capable. A few months ago saw a couple times some Verizon guys working on our neighborhood hub. Since last year service was pretty sluggish, then a month or so ago has been rock solid and living up to advertised speeds. Then out of the blue A couple weeks ago (no flyers or notifications) we had the new options to upgrade to the GPON tiers. I have a tech coming out tomorrow, so hoping it wasn't a database mistake...

-Mike

Nope, that's why its call PON.. All the interconnects between you and the CO are fully Passive, meaning no electronics are required.

For them to go GPON they just have to install new OLT's or new cards in the existing OLT's to support it. Then they just switch you over to the new GPON port.

This obviously assumes there is enough existing fiber capacity for them to lite up GPON services to the hubs. You can't just magically flip the switch from BPON to GPON because all of the downstream subscribers would have to have their ONT's updated too..
noebl1
MA, USA

noebl1

Thanks for the quick response... So for another dumb question... so that mean everyone on the FDT also has to be upgraded or you mean capacity within the hub itself? I only saw maybe 3 ports used on the FDT we are plugged into. Curious if they guy will show up tomorrow and basically go "Can't do it." If that's the case, guessing they need to get a bunch of people to upgrade before it will happen...

-Mike

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

Just hope they don't upgrade you and take your services down for several days. Like what happened with me last Summer. They switched me over to GPON knowing full well that the GPON card they installed years ago was bad. So all my FiOS services went down.

I got the run around for a few days and finally when a supervisor started telling me some obvious lies, he pissed me off and I called the executive hotline, or whatever it's called. Once I did that, they got the people to replace the bad card. Only then did I find out what the issue was. But they did light a fire under their butts and they got everything up and working. If I had never called that executive number I probably would have never been brought back online. Since they were just talking in circles prior to that call and supposedly had no clue what the problem was. I will say that the techs tried, but there really was nothing they could do. One tech was out here until midnight trying to fix things. But unfortunately the problem was not here.
noebl1
MA, USA

noebl1

Close Tech went to hub, noticed splitter I was supposed to be switching to isn't there yet. He called in, was told there' s a pending order to add the splitter group into that slot. Woman on phone said they are dispatching to add the splitter group today. So he wisely left without doing anything and said he'd call in a couple hours... But TBH, I don't have high hopes. Oh well. At least he didn't tear it apart and then find out leaving me SOL which looks like what happend to you.
noebl1

noebl1

Well Verizon came thru. They added the splitter group to the local hub early this afternoon, then came out this evening. Web site even updated to reflect 2nd tech was coming out, and was right on target for time. Took him longer to unbolt the old BPON ONT than to get the new one going... got it installed in minutes. Other than their goof-up this AM with the hub, was a pretty good process.
buckweet1980
Saint Petersburg, FL

buckweet1980 to noebl1

to noebl1

Re: New options to upgrade to the GPON tiers from BPON

I'm in Pittsburgh right now with GPON and have 300Mb available. I'm building a house in Lucas, TX (east of Plano) and will have FIOS available there too. The website only lists 50Mb available for my subdivision. Across the road has GPON (150Mb) and the next subdivision has 75Mb available. Hopefully I can get lucky like you and make a phone call and see if new services can be enabled.

tito79
join:2010-03-14
Port Saint Lucie, FL

tito79

Maybe if u order the quantum speeds they can upgrade you to gpon?
buckweet1980
Saint Petersburg, FL

buckweet1980

I think i'd have to talk to engineering or something.. The website says anything above 50Mb isn't available..

Guess I'll have to fight it when the home gets built.
noebl1
MA, USA

noebl1

Also, not that it matters... but I got a brand new Alcatel I-211M-H manufactured in May 2013. The ONT and the battery together for this one are smaller than the original BPON one I had (he even swapped out the battery which is great.)

Depending on the tech, it's worth talking to them and asking about the speeds. First tech I got today was a nice guy, but not overly techie. However he got thru pretty quickly to get the details on my issue with the missing splitter in the hub. However said he didn't really know much beyond that about how it worked. Second guy was a self-professed geek and had a good chat with him about details on the installation and stuff.

I also asked him if he had heard the rumors of expansion again that were mentioned in another thread. He hadn't heard anything yet, at least for MA.

-Mike
bsangs
join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

bsangs to buckweet1980

to buckweet1980
said by buckweet1980:

I think i'd have to talk to engineering or something.. The website says anything above 50Mb isn't available..

Guess I'll have to fight it when the home gets built.

It might not be something you can fight quite honestly. I'm also limited to 50 at my house. Friend up the street gets the higher options though. Apparently we're wired to a different node. Last year the tech told me it would be upgraded once it reached its limit (more customers on the node I guess?), but until then, nothing could be done about it. And if I'm using the incorrect terminology, I apologize.
buckweet1980
Saint Petersburg, FL

buckweet1980

said by bsangs:

It might not be something you can fight quite honestly. I'm also limited to 50 at my house. Friend up the street gets the higher options though. Apparently we're wired to a different node. Last year the tech told me it would be upgraded once it reached its limit (more customers on the node I guess?), but until then, nothing could be done about it. And if I'm using the incorrect terminology, I apologize.

So interestingly enough, the guy across the road can get 75Mb package and so can the houses a few doors down. It seems like the homes in the subdivision that are finished are showing 75Mb available to them, while the few homes next to mine that are still being built can only get 50Mb... Hopefully I can talk some sense into them when I finally get to order it early next year.