spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Zee5tH

join:2005-09-08

Antivirus software and Firewall for Tablet

Hi: I recently got a Acer Tablet 16gb.It uses the Android os.I wanted to find out if I need an AV and Firewall and Malaware scanner.I need something that would not be a resource hog and take up all the room I have.Does anyone have any suggestions.I would appreciate it.
Thanks.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

1 recommendation

Might wanna try in this forum:

»Android

I use avast on my android devices... NOTE your device must be rooted for the firewall to work.

»play.google.com/store/apps/detai···ty&hl=en

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2
reply to Zee5tH
I also use Avast. It has never seemed to be a resource hog. I use it on my Tablet, and on my phone.

I don't use a Firewall.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
I've also used Avast, seems to be great on resources.

HA Nut
Premium
join:2004-05-13
USA
reply to Zee5tH
I use the paid version of Lookout for my phone and Google Nexus 7. No firewall.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
reply to Zee5tH
Happy with Lookout Always consider app permissions

DownTheShore
Honoring The Captain
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14
reply to Zee5tH
I use BitDefender's free anti-virus for Android on my rooted Nook HD+ and my unrooted Nook HD. It's cloud-based so it isn't a resource hog.

slajoh01

join:2005-04-23
Try TrustGo from the Play store. Its pretty good.
But I dont use any. I rarely even connect to public wifi spots...Just from my own secure private home network

And I dont store ANY important docs or info on my phone in the first place
Only Mp3 music files which I really dont care if that gets compromised.

Zee5tH

reply to siljaline
Hi: I am trying the free version of lookout.Just to clarify is that with a firewall too?

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

1 edit
Free version of Lookout has no firewall.
All the info you should need is below - like all Android apps, it requires a pile of permissions to run but that's nothing new.
»www.lookout.com/android
You can clear app caches after you've used them for a while, reduces overall lag on the phone's OS.
Keep me posted.

Zee5tH

Running good so far with free lookout.I have not really gone online yet.Just setting up apps.I was wondering is there an android app with a firewall included too.I guess I am used to having one on my desktop and laptop.Tablet is new for me.I plan on using it to check e mail,games,FB,and just regular surfing.I would not use on banking site or any other type site like that.Please enlighten me as to the security set up for a tablet.I:m sorry for asking so many questions, but as I stated Tablet is new to me.Thanks.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
It takes a bit getting used to the UI. You account, (web) does not necessarily reflect what you see on your phone.

Try some of features like locate phone and send scream from remote, those are pretty cool.

freykatt6

join:2013-07-21
Dalton, GA
reply to Zee5tH
Hi, I use Trustgo, seems to be the highest rated, and am very pleased with it on a Samsung Tab 7 and it is free.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Not that I'm dissing your security choice for your Mobile device - when you say "seems to be the best rated" - these would be gauged against rating from users on Google Play.

Zee5tH

1 recommendation

Tried scream! and it sure does.LOL.