spc
uniqs

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to telcodad

to telcodad

Re: New Modem Out

hmm this can be useful for me. I can use MoCA to connect my MoCA FiOS router to the cable modem instead of an Ethernet cable strung across the house. Only question is does this support MoCA 1.1 or MoCA 2.0

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Mike Wolf:

Only question is does this support MoCA 1.1 or MoCA 2.0?

Didn't find anything on the ARRIS/Motorola site about the MoCA version, but this short item »btreport.net/2012/10/mot ··· gateway/ about the unit says "MoCA 1.1"

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

You are correct. In the user guide settings, the frequency range for MoCA was 1150 to 1500 instead of MoCA 2.0's 1650, so yes it's only MoCA 1.1 which limits the output to a max of 175Mbps MAC. Not bad but still below the Docsis 3.0 max speed and gigabit max speed.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Mike Wolf:

You are correct. In the user guide settings, the frequency range for MoCA was 1150 to 1500 instead of MoCA 2.0's 1650, so yes it's only MoCA 1.1 which limits the output to a max of 175Mbps MAC. Not bad but still below the Docsis 3.0 max speed and gigabit max speed.

Well, if you want MoCA 2.0 capability, it looks like you'll have to wait for the ARRIS MG2402 "XG5" gateway box to become available: »Re: [X1] Xfinity X1 now available to New Customers

Here are the specs: »www.ncube.com/product_ca ··· UN13.pdf
said by Mike Wolf:

In the user guide settings, the frequency range for MoCA was 1150 to 1500 instead of MoCA 2.0's 1650, ...

Doesn't look like you can always go by that, as the specs for the MG2402 box say "MOCA 2.0 - Frequency (MHz) 1150 – 1500"

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf

Both are very valid points. Specs and even instruction manuals have been found to be incorrect on multiple products, even on the documentation installers and engineers receive. I remember a few times some brand new Verizon FiOS MoCA 1.1 set top boxes had documentation that stated that there was a maximum of 8 nodes can be on it's MoCA network, when it's actually 16 with the coordinator.

Regarding the XG5 [the ARRIS MG2402 gateway], I'd love to get that but something tells me it won't be available for customer purchase, and with how Comcast is handling the whole X1 experience equipment, there'll be some pretty wacky restrictions and fees and prices.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Mike Wolf:

Regarding the XG5 [the ARRIS MG2402 gateway], I'd love to get that but something tells me it won't be available for customer purchase, and with how Comcast is handling the whole X1 experience equipment, there'll be some pretty wacky restrictions and fees and prices.

Yes, as Comcast would consider it as part of a video (X1) platform, I don't see an XG5 box being available for purchase, only lease.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to telcodad

to telcodad
Wait can this modem act like a modem and allow a separate router to do all the routing work? Is there a bridging function?

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Mike Wolf:

Wait can this modem act like a modem and allow a separate router to do all the routing work? Is there a bridging function?

While the new series of XFINITY Wireless Gateways (»customer.comcast.com/hel ··· compare/) still allow their use in bridge mode ("If you would like to use your existing router instead of the routing functionality on your Wireless Gateway, the Bridge Mode on the Wireless Gateway will need to be enabled." See: »media2.comcast.net/anon. ··· 0811.pdf), I don't know if this would be possible/allowed with an XG5 box.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I'm not talking about the XG5. I'm talking about the SBG6782 in the thread. That's why I said "modem" and not "XG5"

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Mike Wolf:

I'm not talking about the XG5. I'm talking about the SBG6782 in the thread. That's why I said "modem" and not "XG5"

Oh OK, sorry. Then, like the Moto SBG6580 gateway modem, I think it should be able to be placed in Bridge Mode also.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Pretty cool, but which one of the four Ethernet ports would be used as the bridge port? Will the MoCA connection also act like a bridge port so a MoCA enabled FiOS router would be able to use it on it's WAN Coax port?