spc
Search similar:

uniqs
edinpalmbay
join:2013-07-15
Palm Bay, FL

edinpalmbay

[CFL] cant get clear qam guide listings anymore

I am using windows media center with a huappage 2650 tuner card that has both digital and analog tuners. I am have BH digital cable in Palm Bay. I have always been able to download the guide in WMC and receive all the clear qam channels. However, recently this does not work anymore. I only get about 21 channels in the guide and some of those don't have the correct programming on them. I have rescanned multiple times always with the same results. Is anyone else having this issue.

Guide_Tim
join:2012-02-28
Taft, CA

Guide_Tim

Open Windows Media Center and go to Tasks and Settings Then TV and run the configure TV Tuner setup again maybe ?
OR Try this With Media Center OPEN, navigate to C:\Windows\ehome. Right click on mcupdate.exe and click on "Run as administrator". It seems to be essential that Media Center be open when you click on mcupdate.exe
edinpalmbay
Palm Bay, FL

edinpalmbay

Thanks but I've tried those two ideas multiple times with no help. The funny things is that it used to work just fine and I've not changed anything.

DCELL
CC/Nature Coast
join:2010-06-17
Inglis, FL

DCELL

I know its not helpful, probably stating the obvious, but I'll bet your issue was caused by some unknown recent Microsoft update. Maybe look at your update history, see what updates were installed just before the problem started.
DougHo
join:2012-05-21
Orlando, FL

DougHo to edinpalmbay

to edinpalmbay
I am from Orlando and had similar problem last month; not sure if your situation is the same or whether I can explain it good enough. Brighthouse had changed their clear QAM channels (typically from 80ish-2ish to 80ish-12ish) and after rescan for that, the particular problem for me was that they seemed to change the PSIP short name callsign from standard Wxxx-DT to something like Wxxx yy where xxx are the normal callsign letters and yy are the first two characters of network name such as NB CB AB PB etc. After realizing that, I went through somewhat complicated steps in WMC such as Settings-TV-Guide-Add Channel-Clear QAM to enter each new number and then going to each new channel number in the guide and Edit Channel-Edit Listings to select the appropriate WxxxDT corresponding guide data.
edinpalmbay
Palm Bay, FL

edinpalmbay

DougHo,

Thanks for the advice but I still can't seem to find the local channels. The strange thing is that I get some of them like the UCF PB and channel 15.1, 18,1 etc. Just not the local channels like WESH, WKMG, WFTV etc.
DougHo
Orlando, FL

DougHo

I may have missed one step - see the second paragraph below. What worked for me in Orlando was in WMC Settings-TV-Guide-Add Channel-Clear QAM then a number like 81.12 for WESH. Then pull up the Guide/Grid and down near the last channel look for something like C81.12 with no listings. Selecting that channel showed NBC, so my final step was to get the guide listings (necessary for recordings etc) and to do that I moved left over that channel number and pressed a button like i to get a menu Edit Channel-Edit Listings then scroll down to WESHDT and follow any more steps on screen merge that channel.

If you then go to that newly combined WESHDT channel and get error, move left again and press i and Edit Channel-Edit Sources and then get rid of the old QAM channel number (like 81-2). That step might not be necessary if doing a "new" tuner setup (rather than some "re-scan").
rjbeep
join:2012-01-16
Sanford, FL

rjbeep

Hi all... I'm in the Orlando area and having this problem as well. Is there a new list of clear QAM channels for WESH, etc. on Brighthouse? My "AVerMedia TV" software is apparently not having a problem finding the channels, but Windows Media Center on Windows 8 has lost all the locals and can't seem to find them regardless of how many times I rescan. Everything was working great until something changed in the last few weeks or so. I haven't been able to find a way to see what channels the AVerMedia software is using for 2,6,9,35, etc...

The post above mentions c81.12 for WESH. Can anybody point me to a list where I can find the new Brighthouse clear QAM for at least:

WESH NBC 2 - 81.12???
WKMG CBS 6 - ???
WFTV ABC 9 - ???
WOFL Fox 35 - ???

Thanks very much for the help!
rjb

Brighthouse Central Florida
Windows Media Center
Windows 8 64 bit
AVerMedia H323 MiniCard Hybrid ATSC (came with HP Omni 27-1057c All-In-One)
DougHo
Orlando, FL

DougHo

Don't trust my info, but if you want my hints for Orlando they seem to be 79.11 for CBS, 80.11 for ABC, 80-12 for CW, 79-12 for PBS, 86-11 for FOX, 87-11 for ION, 83-11 for MyTV. Remember that if Brighthouse changed the PSIP short name from the standard -DT, you have to do manual step for guide data. And if you did some type of "re-scan" rather than setup tuner like new, you may have to Edit Sources so that new QAM channel number is the highest priority.
rjbeep
join:2012-01-16
Sanford, FL

4 edits

rjbeep

Thanks so much for this. I already set up WESH based on your instructions so I'm optimistic the rest of the numbers you have just provided will have me on my way.

thanks again!
rjb

update:
Confirming all worked (for today at least, right?)

Thanks to DougHo for the great instructions and info! Up and running again.

Central Florida Brighthouse Clear QAM Channels
16July2013

WESH 81.12 NBC 2.1
WKMG 79.11 CBS 6.1
WFTV 80.11 ABC 9.1
WUCF 79.12 PBS 24.1
WOFL 86.11 Fox 35.1
WKCF 80.12 CW 18.1
WRBW 83.11 MyTV 65.1
WOPX 87.11 ION 56.1

Off air / psip info from www.orlandodigital.tv
Thanks again to DougHo for the corrections.
DougHo
Orlando, FL

DougHo

MyTV may be 65 not 41, ION may be 56 not 48.
Glad to help others - wish that I understood why Brighthouse changes the PSIP short name from previous/standard.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to edinpalmbay

Premium Member

to edinpalmbay
Thank you DougHo
xendrome
join:2009-05-21
Orange City, FL

xendrome to DougHo

to DougHo
Is there an entry for CFNEWS 13? as well, I am having this same exact problem.
xendrome

xendrome to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Do you happen to have a current listing or can you get it, of the QAM channels?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by xendrome:

Do you happen to have a current listing or can you get it, of the QAM channels?

The list I have is the same list on our website.
xendrome
Orange City, FL

xendrome

What is the URL to that? I don't think it breaks down the actual true ClearQAM channel numbers though just the alias numbers..
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to edinpalmbay

Premium Member

to edinpalmbay
»support.brighthouse.com/ ··· er-8075/
xendrome
Orange City, FL

xendrome

Hmm that only lists the friendly channel numbers, not the actual channels before they are remapped
edinpalmbay
Palm Bay, FL

edinpalmbay

Thanks to all. With the info you all supplied I was able to get all the local channels again! A complete listings of all the BH actual channel numbers would be great, especially channel 13.1. So if anyone out there ( are u listening, Brighthouse) has them please post.
snowpp22
join:2001-10-23
Lake Mary, FL

snowpp22 to edinpalmbay

to edinpalmbay
Hi All, I have a hauppage 1650 that worked great up until around a year ago. Since then I've only had the local stations HD channels in WMC. That is until today, I had WMC setup my TV signal to see if I could get the analog channels. But now I only get a few channels, the analog channels are garbled, and no local HD channels. I guess others have no luck having WMC scan for channels, and set up channels manually in WMC? Is manual setup as above required for to use the TV card and WMC on BHN?

Guide_Tim
join:2012-02-28
Taft, CA

Guide_Tim

Sounds like switch digital video . You might have to update hardware ? Just guessing here ...
You can read more about Switch Digital Video Here »electronics.howstuffwork ··· orks.htm
DougHo
Orlando, FL

1 edit

DougHo to snowpp22

to snowpp22
I can only speak for my experience in Orlando, a change in Brighthouse's clear QAM (local HD channels) around a month ago, and the couple users who recently used my info in this thread to fix it. The problem is not Brighthouse's channel number (frequency?) change, but rather that at the same time they changed the PSIP short name from the standard callsign (like what is broadcast for OTA antennas and used to be broadcast by Brighthouse). This is what programs like WMC use to connect a channel with guide information. So we need to perform several steps manually, described in my previous post in this thread. First is to manually add each clear QAM channel number (I have listed some numbers, found by scan on a TV). Second is to look for that new channel number at the end of the guide and after verifying that desired picture is shown, manually edit that channel so that it has proper guide listings. Third is to go to that resulting channel in the guide, and edit sources to remove any old QAM channel number if that is still there (may not be required such as if you did new tuner setup). All of this would have been automatic if Brighthouse had continued using standard callsign in the PSIP.
Finally, since it was mentioned by Guide_Time, none of my discussion is about SDV which is presumably for non-local channels (I don't subscribe to those myself).
DougHo

DougHo to edinpalmbay

to edinpalmbay
Try 81-11 for 13.1
xendrome
Orange City, FL

xendrome

Ok so if I add 81.11 for News 13 HD, how do I get it assigned to 13.1 so I don't have to remember all these non-friendly numbers?
DougHo
Orlando, FL

DougHo

This answer won't make you very happy, but realize that there might be other ways than I explain. After you add 81-11 as QAM256, you find it at that number in the guide (near bottom). If you want listings (which don't say much), you do the thing I mentioned for other channels, and the name you search for is Central Florida News 13 HD. But it still ends up in guide down there at 81.11 (not 13). I cannot say with certainty like I could for some locals, but my guess at the reason is that programs such as WMC are expecting PSIP short name to be CFLNHD but Brighthouse is now sending CFNews1. I think it is "their" channel so I cannot complain like I try for the local channels.
xendrome
Orange City, FL

xendrome

I can tell you this, if I use AverMedia software that came with the tuner.. It detects all of the channels properly and sets up their guide info properly also.
DougHo
Orlando, FL

DougHo

Again, my guess at explanation could be wrong, but it is this: AverMedia may have chosen to look at the "virtual channel number" in the PSIP data, which Brighthouse has not changed. MS WMC may have chosen to look at the "short name" in the PSIP data, which Brighthouse did change for whatever reason. AverMedia/MS/Brighthouse may have had their reasons for doing so, or maybe it is just good/bad luck.
snowpp22
join:2001-10-23
Lake Mary, FL

snowpp22

Thanks DougHo and rjbeep, I was able to get WMC to correctly associate the HD channel in the guide for the for the local channels listed above. What a pain though, I hope I don't have to go through it again. I'll keep my fingers crossed BHN doesn't change things again. It's a shame this information is not published somewhere and we have to rely on user forums for this stuff.

Thanks again