share rss forum feed

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1

[help] Wave $300 fee?

I could not find my old modem when I had my services disconnected but I plan on getting Tv+internet, if I show proof I have the modem do they still make you pay the $300 fee?

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
They might be able to match the MAC, etc.
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
That's what I was thinking they would do since I think on the sheet they show the MAC number.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Subaru
The installer can't do anything. You could go to the Optimum Store and get them to drop any unreturned equipment fee by returning the equipment. Maybe it's possible that the customer service can do so by seeing the modem online (and unregistered) then drop the fee & register it.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
said by frdrizzt:

The installer can't do anything. You could go to the Optimum Store and get them to drop any unreturned equipment fee by returning the equipment. Maybe it's possible that the customer service can do so by seeing the modem online (and unregistered) then drop the fee & register it.

The modem is a old Motorola SBV5120 anyways

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
Are they making you pay a lost equipment fee?

If that's the case, it doesn't matter what proof you have or how old it is. You either need to pay the fee or let them send it to a collection agency and negotiate a settlement with them (this will impact your credit, though).
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
Yeah the lost equipment fee, that's dumb I figure the fee would be taken off it you returned it.. so in other words since they wont take the fee off then it's mine to keep then after you pay the $300?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
I'm confused - do you still have the modem? It sounded like you lost it.

If you have the modem, can't you just go to a CV service center and turn it in? I highly doubt the tech that comes to your house has the authority to waive a $300 fee.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
said by Thinkdiff:

I'm confused - do you still have the modem? It sounded like you lost it.

If you have the modem, can't you just go to a CV service center and turn it in? I highly doubt the tech that comes to your house has the authority to waive a $300 fee.

Lets makes sure we are on the same page

The modem was misplaced during moving so as I was unable to find it I got a letter about the $300 equipment fee. Since now after cleaning up and finding it I was wondering if I go to a Optimum walk in center will the $300 fee get waved or do I still have to pay it?

It seems silly to still pay the fee if I walk in with the modem in question.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

andrewc2

join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA
If you still have the modem and return it I don't see why they would still try to charge the fee.

RemyM

join:2005-02-14
Stamford, CT
reply to Subaru
If you return the equipment they will issue a new bill with the fee removed.

I add and remove a few accounts a year for our job sites and they charge the fee the day you cancel but always remove it once we drop off the modem. They only charge $100 to business accounts for the modem.