how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bucko2012

@telus.com

[SK] shaw rate increase effective Sept 1st

Hello shaw customers

Shaw is again raising rates on Sept 1st.

What going on with shaw. Are they getting hurt for money From the flooding. Lol.

WTH.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
I got an increase noticed too (here in BC). My bill is going up $10 a month, and I just had an increase of $7/month not too long ago.

I think Shaw jacked up the rates for new customers about a year ago and left existing customers at "grandfathered" cheaper rates. It looks like they're gradually trying to get us up to the new rates.

I killed my phone line after the last increase. I'm not too sure what to cancel this time. My package is lean & mean (Personal TV/BB50 + Best of HD Addon).)

join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC
where does this info come from and how much does my bb100 go up

Whistler, BC
they are raising the rate for customers on grandfathered plans, no internet plans will be affected unless your internet plan is grandfathered
Expand your moderator at work

zod5000

Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to 18286719

Re: [SK] shaw rate increase effective Sept 1st

said by 18286719:

where does this info come from and how much does my bb100 go up

the info was located on the bottom of this months statement. they only said how much my bill was going up, but didn't specify the impact on my individual services.

DanteX

join:2010-09-09
kudos:1
reply to bucko2012
These increases go up faster then inflation and inflation is even faster then the speed it takes our check books to keep up as well.

I thought we lived in a time where Costs should be going down?

Name

join:2013-05-28
Costs may have decreased, but greed has not.

Gotspeed

join:2011-12-30
reply to bucko2012
Novus is coming to my building soon, I've never seen so many people in the lobby before, even with a fire drill, all waiting to sign up for their services. We blew way past the minimum signing requirements for Novus to wire our building. Shaw is just shoving customers out the door and kicking them in the ass on the way out, with their consistent increase on prices.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
^^ *Jealous*

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
+1

Whistler, BC
reply to kevinds
ya, when/if i move to north van, which should be my next major move, im definitely picking a building that is serviced by novus without a question

bucko2012

@sasknet.sk.ca
reply to Gotspeed
good, hope novus bites shaw in the rear really hard. good luck better be soon than later.

zod5000

Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw

1 edit
reply to DanteX
said by DanteX:

These increases go up faster then inflation and inflation is even faster then the speed it takes our check books to keep up as well.

I thought we lived in a time where Costs should be going down?

It's the opposite for the TV industry. There's now hundreds of channels (and the internet) which mean the ratings for any given channel are at the lowest they've ever been. If you look at TV ratings now compared to 10 years ago, its crazy how much they've dropped.

How does that impact you? TV channels used to earn the bulk of their income from selling ads. The more people that watch programming the more they could charge. We're seeing the reverse of that. TV channel operators are now continually increasing their "carriage fees". This means it costs more for Shaw to relay that channel to you. TV Channel Operators in Canada tend to own a number of channels. They know some are good and some are crappy. Thus when your Cablco negotiates with them, they negotiate terms as well. IE if you want to carry superawesome channel A you have to bundle it with super crappy station c! Then they earn carriage on both channels.

The whole industry is out of control and it goes way beyond the end provider. At least that's how I feel about it.

My gut instinct is that they're going to hit breaking point. At which point they'll have to find a way to get costs under control. Hopefully that means better packages or a la cart.

I have 80 HD channels, and we probably use less than 20 of them on a regular basis.

Edit: It's too bad Novus' footprint isn't more expanded. To get the channels that I get with best of HD with Shaw I needed to subscribe too:

Digital Basic: 25.95
HD Ultimate: 20.95
US Time Shifting: 3.75
AMC: 2.50 (on its own)

So that's 53.15. I'd have to add an extra 7 if I wanted Space HD (which only comes with entertainment 2?) which would bring it to 60.15. Right now with Shaw I pay 34.90 for personal tv and 20 for best of HD. 54.90/month. Sounds like that'll be closer to 61 after the fee increase. So its still in the same ballpark?

I guess with Novus it's the Internet that saves you the big bucks. It's only 54.95/month for 50mbps. I think right now I'm paying about 72 with shaw for bb50... probably going to be closer to 77 in September.

I guess my conclusion is that TV prices seem steep across the board (even with Novus), but Shaw really is gouging on the internet?

xtachx

join:2005-11-19
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to zod5000
said by zod5000:

I got an increase noticed too (here in BC). My bill is going up $10 a month, and I just had an increase of $7/month not too long ago.

I think Shaw jacked up the rates for new customers about a year ago and left existing customers at "grandfathered" cheaper rates. It looks like they're gradually trying to get us up to the new rates.

I killed my phone line after the last increase. I'm not too sure what to cancel this time. My package is lean & mean (Personal TV/BB50 + Best of HD Addon).)

Got rid of phone and went to voip.ms (yay for $2/month!!(

Got rid of shaw's TV service and went OTA+Google TV.

If I get 100Mbit at cheaper prices than shaw, I wont hesitate to switch.
--
Bell Canada: It is “Preposterous" that consumers should get content they want on their cellphones.

Dreyfus

join:2013-02-18
reply to bucko2012
I am in Edmonton. My Shaw increase is 9%. The annual Edmonton CPI is 2.3%.

»www.edmonton.ca/business_economy···2013.pdf

tablo

join:2011-06-30
Edmonton, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw

2 edits
reply to bucko2012
These rate increases are too much. I have been a Shaw customer for 5 years now. I had BB50/PTV/Home Phone Basic for around $110, but few months ago the grandfathered rate increased $10. On top of that, they called in and bumped me up to BB100+ because of my usage this month. That cost me $30 more each month. So I had to pay $190 this month in total because of the rate increases. (Looks like the current rate is around $50 more than my grandfathered rate too)

I called into Shaw customer service and asked if there was anything wrong with the bill. Guess there wasn't anything wrong. I then asked to cancel, and was transferred to retentions. I compared the price with Telus. Negotiations aside, the CSR was straight up bashing Telus and even trying to give me a lesson why Shaw is better than Telus. It was to the point where I had to ask her if she was gonna cancel my plan or not, because she was clearly trying to tell me BS. I finally got to cancel with a month's notice. I didn't appreciate these CSRs' b**chy and rude attitude.

I got telus installed yesterday. I got the 15/15/15 deal for 6 months. I have 3HD/1SD 25mbps VDSL. Optik TV's PQ is obviously worse, especially SD. The SQ and volume also seems all over the place across channels compared to Shaw (it's not like I had normalizer or compression either). Internet is much faster in terms of loading speed, although I had 100/5 before. Might have to do with the low ping (10ms) compared to 40ms. It also seems much more reliable than Shaw. I'm actually getting consistent speeds instead of fluctuating. It's also nice that I get 10mbps faster download speed than the 15mbps I got

Just thought I might share my story on the rate increases...sorry if it's slightly off topic.

zod5000

Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw

1 edit
reply to bucko2012
My point of view is that Telus and Shaw are both bad.

My question to you is this. When I compare shaw vs. telus I look at the regular rates, not the intro rates. It's my understanding with Telus that in order to get free hardware rentals and an intro deal, that you need to sign a 3 year contract. The contract doesn't offer price protection?

Is Telus that much better, or do they just goad you in with the intro deal? What is regular rate going to be when it runs out?

edit: I google'd the 15/15/15 deal and learn a bit. Basic TV/15mbps internet/Phone line for the first year, no contract (if you buy the hardware). That's not to shabby. The only downside I can see is that Telus doesn't offer any sports channels in the basic package (where shaw now includes tsn/sn/sn1) and it'd be nicer if they included 25mbps internet It's an interesting option though. I also didn't realize that Telus only charges $150 for the HD box outright (which is much cheaper than shaw). How big is the difference in HD pq between shaw and telus?

lawrence22

@shawcable.net
It's $138 to purchase an HD Box through Shaw; so it is actually cheaper. The HDPVR appears to be cheaper with Telus though ($250 vs. $348); although the posted installation fees seem outrageous with Telus. I'm sure you can probably make them waive or reduce them though.

MerinX
Crunching for Cures
Premium
join:2011-02-03
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to bucko2012
Every rate increase they have for the internet packages would feel less painful if they added 50gigs to the limit of each of the packages each time they bumped up the cost.
--
WCG Can you BOINC it?!?

Gotspeed

join:2011-12-30
Its just a slow nickel and dime scheme, hoping by the time the consumer notices "Hey wtf, why am I paying so much for so little, I'm ditching Shaw for the other guy asap". Shaw has made their quota and are happy, even if the consumer isn't.

Mustafa

join:2006-10-04
said by Gotspeed:

Its just a slow nickel and dime scheme, hoping by the time the consumer notices "Hey wtf, why am I paying so much for so little, I'm ditching Shaw for the other guy asap". Shaw has made their quota and are happy, even if the consumer isn't.

What other guy? In 90% of the country it’s a choice on the west coast and north-western Ontario of between Shaw and Telus (Shaw and Bell in NW Ontario) in Ontario to the Atlantic its Rogers or Bell. There are a few exceptions but that’s about it or a reseller. Shaw and Rogers actually signed a no compete contract splitting the country in half so they could rip us off at their leisure. I’m sure Bell and TELUS did the same. I wouldn’t be surprised if all 4 of the pricks set prices.

I’m surprised the obligatory Shaw shill hasn’t piped in with how we should all be grateful for being ripped.

At least Bell will be setting up fibre in my neighbourhood soon. Then I’ll just jump back and forth with whoever has the best deal. Eventually I’m hoping people will get fed up with these crooked business practices and demand either regulation or open the country up to competition.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
In the places here that have Telus fiber, the speeds are still 50/10 whats the point of spending the money to install fiber, to still only give VDSL speeds
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

Whistler, BC
+1

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver
reply to bucko2012
Please change to Telus. I own Telus stocks.
Expand your moderator at work

zod5000

Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to capdjq

Re: [SK] shaw rate increase effective Sept 1st

said by capdjq:

Please change to Telus. I own Telus stocks.

Telus is pretty expensive too The biggest impact their prices have on me is the lack of a "Best of HD" package. To get a similar quantity of HD channels as I have with shaw, I'd have to subscribe to a large quantity of mini packs. It makes it really expensive.

I think Telus had a Best of HD package when Shaw first introduced it, but dropped it around the time Shaw jacked up the price on it. When I compare what my cost would be with both companies, that's the big impact there.

If Telus offered Best of HD and a 6 month intro deal (without a contract) I'd probably give them a try. Until then Shaw continues to be cheaper (at regular prices) than Telus for those that want a cheaper way to get the majority of HD channels.

Nas1

join:2011-10-05
Camrose, AB
reply to kevinds

@ kevinds. At the moment telus is only offering 50/10 with GPON and ETTS, won't be for long however. Some of the techs in the telus forum have already hinted that better speeds are coming for fiber customers. Kind of off topic, just an FYI

Crunchyfrog

join:2006-05-04
Nanaimo, BC
reply to bucko2012
RUN.FROM.SHAW.