spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

l8er

join:2004-04-02

[Extreme] 3 upstream channel bonding?

I have a Cisco DPC3825 modem on Extreme. During the last speed increases I was upgraded to 4 channels upstream. Haven't checked the modem stats in awhile but during a recent check I noticed upstream channel 4 is not being used. Eight down, three up. All other channel stats are ok and I'm not having any issues - speeds are normal.

Anyone else have the same configuration?

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2
This is a common occurance when Rogers is fiddling with the network. The modem/internet config will return to 8x4 channels when they're finished.

technocar2

join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON
reply to l8er
I also have 3 upstream channels but they are now 64QAM; before it used to be 3 channels at 16QAM. But whats more important is that even with 3 channels there is no performance decrease.

l8er

said by technocar2:

they are now 64QAM; before it used to be 3 channels at 16QAM

That's interesting. Do you have a different modem? I can't see those stats

technocar2

join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON
Yeah, I have a SB6141; it shows the stats. I'm guessing you either have the cisco 3825 or the hitron cgn2 as neither of them show what kind of upstream channel is being used.

Correction: Before it used to be 4 channels at 16QAM and now its 3 channels with 64QAM, its been like that for almost 2 months now (lol I didn't check my post before I hit post now; upon reading your quote I noticed my typo)

You probably also have 64QAM as there is no other reason for having 3 channels.

l8er

So it sounds like Rogers is upgrading...that's cool. Thanks

sumdumguy

@rogers.com
The number of upstream channels is insignificant. What they've done is gone from 4 3.2 MHZ wide channels
to 2 6.4 MHZ wide channels and 1 3.2 MHZ channel so you are in effect getting more upstream bandwidth now than before. With the 4 upstreams before you were getting about 12.8 MHZ of bandwidth, now with 3 channels you're getting 16 MHZ of bandwidth. That's the explanation, nothing to panic about.