uniqs
seederjed
Premium Member
join:2005-02-28
Norcross, GA

seederjed

Premium Member

Need a portable Dehumidifier

I am looking for a portable dehumidifier for my basement. The baement is about 1200 sf and unfinished. It will drain into the condensate pump for my furnace.
I am looking at spending between 250 and 300.
Consumer Reports and Amazon both rate the Frigidaire 70 pint highly, but the complaint is they only last about a year.
dick white
Premium Member
join:2000-03-24
Springfield, VA

dick white

Premium Member

Sadly, the era of dehumidifiers lasting more than a year or so is over. And they are designed to be not repairable. But they are cheap. (Until you're on the third one in 3 years, then they get expensive...).

dw

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser to seederjed

Premium Member

to seederjed
Just bought the Frigidaire 70. I bought a Soleus 70 first because I couldn't find the Frigidaire. It had a defect in the bucket full circuit. So, it went back. Then I read their warranty, which is for one year. Trouble it you have to send it to Cali and pay the freight. Decided that was not one I wanted and then found the Frigidaire at Best Buys.

I've had a Frigidaire 50 for about 3 years with no problems.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to seederjed

MVM

to seederjed
NewEgg had the Frigidaire 50 pint on sale last week, I picked one up for $188 shipped. Not sure if that price is still good.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to seederjed

Premium Member

to seederjed
Have a Frigidaire 50, it has been solid and reliable for the last two years.

My issues are:
-The tank is too small and can fill in under 12 hours, that said the design of it has a cover over the top which cuts down on splashing when it gets dumped out. -When switching from tank to continuous drain mode, have a towel handy, the drain port must be lower than the tank drain, as such it fills up with about a cup of water which will end up on your floor.

The whole thing is plastic, far removed from the 1970's all metal one it replaced, and while I wish it would last that long, I doubt it.

PSWired
join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

PSWired to seederjed

to seederjed
Soleus warranty is crap.

Parents just picked up a Frigidaire 70 pint. Very quiet and seems to work well. There are two models of the 70 pint version, only one is energy star rated. Be sure to get that one. $200 on Amazon.
dmagerl
Premium Member
join:2007-08-06
Woodstock, IL

dmagerl to seederjed

Premium Member

to seederjed
If its for a basement, make sure you get one thats rated for low temperature operation. It should say right on the box.
02778712 (banned)
join:2013-07-08
MA

02778712 (banned) to seederjed

to seederjed
We bought a Delonghi 2 years ago for our 1,300 sq. ft. basement. It came with its' own built in pump and hose. It's been running without any issues so far. I'd get one again in a heartbeat.