uniqs
share rss forum feed

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA

[WA] Weather

At least in my area (Ft. Lewis) it hasn't rained in close to three weeks now. Is this normal for the summer here?
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war

DanHo
Premium
join:2002-05-20
Seattle, WA
No, definitely not normal.

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Voxxjin
It's always much drier after 4 of July with July and august being fairly reliable dry.
Also Dupont, WA is in the part of western Washington that is much drier then most (it's very notice able driving south for seattle around fort lewis to see more pines and dry scrub type vegetation, don't worry you'll have plenty of rain come winter, but YOU may even need to water your lawn for a day to keep it alive, up north we can mostly let it go brown (if it will, some years it doesn't) and it survives through the august sept. time
rain will return some time in sept (a little bit) or October (more) with hard frost close to Halloween NOV _DEC try not to drowned JAN a cold snap Feb SNOW!
march to may =CRAZY!! rain and snow and hot and cold and sunny and gray (and that's just one day)
Here's a link to DuPont weather »forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ··· 08154297 if you adjust it to your location before you save it you'll have a one click source for everything weather there (the climate and history pages can give you and idea what "normally" happens (pretty general cause every year somehow different)
weatherunderground has some good info too.
»www.wunderground.com/wundermap/? ··· 0&tor=0&

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
Thanks for the replies. I was just curious. Usually you hear from people about how it rains all the time in this area. While I expected sunny days I didn't expect to go about 3 weeks w/o rain. I am used to not having rain as I spent the last 5 years in San Antonio. A couple years ago we went about 6 months w/o rain. At least it isn't hot like it was down there.
--

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
said by Voxxjin:

Usually you hear from people about how it rains all the time in this area.

That is of course an exaggeration , even though it can be more or less true at certain times of the year.
While we can have wet summers up until August or so, long dry spells are not abnormal from July to September. As it was already noted, the weather usually changes around July 4th.

There is also a significant variation depending on locality, mostly due to the rain shadow and the convergence zone. One year (late 80's or early 90's) we had either 90 or 100 days without any measurable amount of rain.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

tshirt
Premium
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by aurgathor:

There is also a significant variation depending on locality, mostly due to the rain shadow and the convergence zone. One year (late 80's or early 90's) we had either 90 or 100 days without any measurable amount of rain.

And I think a couple years ago we had 90 days of rain or at least officially cloudy.
it doesn't usually rain all that hard, but it can mist for days and you end up feeling like you live IN a cloud.

BillMcIntosh
Premium
join:2010-04-18
Washougal, WA
reply to Voxxjin
Wonder if El Nino or La Nina has anything to do with it.

Been dry for far too long, it sprinkled for a few minutes a bit ago, warm (lower 80's) and quite humid now, clouds are getting darker as the day goes on.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

1 recommendation

said by BillMcIntosh:

Wonder if El Nino or La Nina has anything to do with it.

Been dry for far too long, it sprinkled for a few minutes a bit ago, warm (lower 80's) and quite humid now, clouds are getting darker as the day goes on.

I was begining to think ya'll altered the weather to be more like Texas so i wouldn't feel homesick
--

BillMcIntosh
Premium
Washougal, WA
Wasn't me.

Clouds are heading east, cleared up some and temp rose to upper 80's, still quite humid.

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

Well, we actually had a bit of rain overnight.

In any case, for our newcomer, here are 2 samples of a somewhat less common weather patterns here.
He should be familiar with one of them. The other one is a kind of coastal specialty, which isn't particularly rare.

»Seattle: Home of the 78-minute summer
»Are you all ready for the heatwave?
--
Wacky Races 2012!

BillMcIntosh
Premium
Washougal, WA

1 recommendation

reply to Voxxjin
Had lightning/thunder this morning, even some light rain, not sure if the moisture will help, still dry under trees, etc.

I'm ready for winter, probably too soon for some.

tshirt
Premium
Snohomish, WA
a little rain overnight and 1 big BOOM this morning, was the extent of the predicted thunderstorms.
Obviously our forecasters have never been to NYC, or Philly or Florida or Texas or Colorado where if you have a thunderstorm, YOU KNOW IT!

tshirt
Premium
Snohomish, WA
reply to Voxxjin
»www.komonews.com/news/local/Pitt ··· 791.html

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
reply to BillMcIntosh
said by BillMcIntosh:

Bite your tongue! Winter around here means either rainy days or cloudy days. Freezing rain or freezing fog.

I give you until mid-December until you regret those words
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
I think he lives high and east enough that he gets snow much more than people in the PDX area.

Once I was lucky enough to drive through an area shortly after a major freezing rain -- that was one of the most surreal experience I've ever had. Too bad I didn't have my camera with me.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
Dupont, WA
reply to tshirt
Yeah I noticed a little of the wet stuff too.
--

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
Dupont, WA
reply to aurgathor
What's PDX?

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:19
I think it's the Portland Airport.

BillMcIntosh
Premium
Washougal, WA
Reviews:
·Canvas Dreams
·Frontier Communi..
reply to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

Bite your tongue! Winter around here means either rainy days or cloudy days. Freezing rain or freezing fog.

Never, tongue would be too swollen by then.

@aurgathor, yep, have a much better chance of it.

Gizy
Have you thanked a soldier today?
Premium
join:2002-08-26
PNW
reply to Voxxjin
said by Voxxjin:

What's PDX?

It is the airport like sashwa See Profile said but its also how a lot of locals refer to the Portland area.

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Voxxjin
PD stands for PortlanD, X may stand for eXtended, but I'm not 100% sure about that letter. PDX can either mean just the airport, or the greater Portland area, depending on the context.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

tshirt
Premium
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
it's short for KPDX which is the international AirNav code for Portland ie a very specific spot on the globe.
bigger airports have easy to understand codes like (k)SEA while newer small ones get weird ones like OGG (old/us) and and PHOG (current international standard) are both Kahului Airport maui, hi.
When ever you go anyplace by commercial aircraft a flight plan Lists many of these 3, 4 letter codes describe a series of points along the way (some are just a beacon/point on the chart)
many become slang for the town the airport is near just as Beantown (Boston) and nola (New Orleans) denote other identifiers.
Once you know the ones important to you they make a quick Google shortcut for maps and info nearby
KTCM= McChord (now joint base Lewis McChord)= and about a thousand other things doesn't work well, but ABQ= Albuquerque works much better.

Gizy
Premium
PNW
reply to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

said by BillMcIntosh:

Can we keep the sun and at least have fall temps? This 80+ is killing me. This is my first summer in the new upstairs apartment. It's currently 83 in my front room where I'm sitting. The bedroom is warmer. The front room temp is partially due to making pasta for a late lunch. Good to know I can what the place in the winter just by cooking dinner.
--
Home of the free, because of the brave.
Wounded Warrior
Dog Tags for Kids
Buy a soldier a cup of coffee

tshirt
Premium
Snohomish, WA
said by Gizy:

Can we keep the sun and at least have fall temps?

Works for me!

tshirt
Premium
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 edits

1 recommendation

reply to Gizy
said by Gizy :

The front room temp is partially due to making pasta for a late lunch...

BTW getting up early (a little) to make a Pasta primavera salad (spring style) for a lunch or 2 (even dinner on those killer days) avoids that high humidity of cooking pasta on hot days, one of our strategies that helps in a warm house.
»www.americastestkitchen.com/reci ··· **ASCA00
In fact dinner tonight is going to be something along these lines, with some left over (on purpose) grilled chicken, shredded in.
»www.cooks.com/recipe/i10zi9il/ch ··· lad.html

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
I like chilled salads, fruit or green smoothies made with frozen fruit and/or ice cubes, etc for meals this time of year
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

Gizy
Premium
PNW

1 recommendation

Take out works well too

tshirt
Premium
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Voxxjin
A fairly unusual condition across all of western Washington.
»www.komonews.com/news/local/Wild ··· 191.html
I love watching lightning and hearing thunder, but this is never good to reach the extremes.

BillMcIntosh
Premium
Washougal, WA
Red flag warnings down here too, along with many other counties.

Lightning/thunder, light rain, breeze here and there. One instance of thunder rattled something in the kitchen.

Gizy
Premium
PNW
said by BillMcIntosh:

Red flag warnings down here too, along with many other counties.

Lightning/thunder, light rain, breeze here and there. One instance of thunder rattled something in the kitchen.

In Vancouver we didn't get any of that.
--
Home of the free, because of the brave.
Wounded Warrior
Dog Tags for Kids
Buy a soldier a cup of coffee