spc
uniqs
buckweet1980
join:2011-12-31
Saint Petersburg, FL

buckweet1980 to tito79

to tito79

Re: New options to upgrade to the GPON tiers from BPON

I think i'd have to talk to engineering or something.. The website says anything above 50Mb isn't available..

Guess I'll have to fight it when the home gets built.
noebl1
join:2003-01-03
MA, USA

noebl1

Also, not that it matters... but I got a brand new Alcatel I-211M-H manufactured in May 2013. The ONT and the battery together for this one are smaller than the original BPON one I had (he even swapped out the battery which is great.)

Depending on the tech, it's worth talking to them and asking about the speeds. First tech I got today was a nice guy, but not overly techie. However he got thru pretty quickly to get the details on my issue with the missing splitter in the hub. However said he didn't really know much beyond that about how it worked. Second guy was a self-professed geek and had a good chat with him about details on the installation and stuff.

I also asked him if he had heard the rumors of expansion again that were mentioned in another thread. He hadn't heard anything yet, at least for MA.

-Mike
bsangs
join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

bsangs to buckweet1980

to buckweet1980
said by buckweet1980:

I think i'd have to talk to engineering or something.. The website says anything above 50Mb isn't available..

Guess I'll have to fight it when the home gets built.

It might not be something you can fight quite honestly. I'm also limited to 50 at my house. Friend up the street gets the higher options though. Apparently we're wired to a different node. Last year the tech told me it would be upgraded once it reached its limit (more customers on the node I guess?), but until then, nothing could be done about it. And if I'm using the incorrect terminology, I apologize.
buckweet1980
join:2011-12-31
Saint Petersburg, FL

buckweet1980

said by bsangs:

It might not be something you can fight quite honestly. I'm also limited to 50 at my house. Friend up the street gets the higher options though. Apparently we're wired to a different node. Last year the tech told me it would be upgraded once it reached its limit (more customers on the node I guess?), but until then, nothing could be done about it. And if I'm using the incorrect terminology, I apologize.

So interestingly enough, the guy across the road can get 75Mb package and so can the houses a few doors down. It seems like the homes in the subdivision that are finished are showing 75Mb available to them, while the few homes next to mine that are still being built can only get 50Mb... Hopefully I can talk some sense into them when I finally get to order it early next year.