how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

njmarchetti

join:2013-07-09
reply to danclan

Re: New firmware version for REV I router: 40.20.7

Thanks Danclan. Actiontec sent me a 40.20.2 firmware that I used to downgrade the router. However, I forgot to disable Firmware updates and of course, the router re-updated itself to 40.20.7. I have not had time to mess with this, but still notice the issue with basically losing internet connectivity in the form of very slow or fail to load website errors.

Sounds like 40.20.7 is working well for most. Could something with my router be damaged from a botched firmware update? I still do not see the option to rollback the firmware natively in the dashboard. Very strange.

This router worked fantastic for over a year, but has suddenly become flaky. I am also just about to start a job working from home (with a VoIP phone) so the timing couldn't be worse. Should I try downgrading to 40.20.1 and see if that helps?

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4

How did you get Actiontec to give you the downgraded firmware? When I spoke to them they told me that something had been added to the 40.20.1 firmware to prevent the customer from downgrading the firmware to an earlier version and they said that "an upcoming update will remove the Firmware Restore setting from the customer accessible web interface". I'm guessing that means it would only be accessible from the service provider TR-069 remote interface from now on?
--
I'm always up for a good chat and helping with tech problems.

njmarchetti

Interesting. I did the online support chat and told him I could not find a link to downgrade the firmware from Verizon. So he emailed me a link and I downloaded the firmware from there.

Funny you mention that the downgrade would not work, because the first time I tried it DID NOT work. The firmware update acted liked it completed, but I was still on 40.20.7. So I tried again the next day and the second time, the firmware took and brought me back down to 40.20.2. However, within about 10 minutes the router rebooted again and installed the 40.20.7 firmware again.

I have the link if you want to check it out.

Not sure if I should disable the auto update feature and then try the downgrade again. Is anyone else seeing issues related to 40.20.7 (connectivity or possibly related to DHCP lease?)

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

I'm a little afraid to screw around with this routers firmware, especially since I purchased this router new from eBay. I'm a very tech savvy guy (tier 3 support), so for me to say that is saying something right there. The last time I let a router auto update was my Linksys right before "CloudGate" occurred back in 2012, and since there has yet to be release notes for each firmware update, I'm even more wary. I mean according to my router, the only update after 40.20.1 was 40.20.7, so I really don't know what was added and changed in 40.20.2.

Regarding Actiontec, they told me that the firmware isn't controlled by them but by Verizon and that they have no knowledge or control over it except posting it to their firmware update url »upgrade.actiontec.com/MI424WR-GE···EN3I.rmt when they receive it from Verizon.
--

njmarchetti

Ok, so I just totally lost internet and could not restore it without FiOS Tech support reseting my ONT. Now I am back online, but it does not seem like they truly identified any root cause.

I also took a look at the logs and found the below errors scattered throughout (starting from the time I upgraded to the 40.20.7 firmware).

Jul 15 15:30:41 2013 System Log CWMP Periodic Inform initial 401 challenge

Jul 15 15:30:41 2013 System Log CWMP Periodic Inform challenge response with 200 OK from server

Jul 15 15:30:41 2013 System Log CWMP Periodic Inform 204 No Content

Any idea what those mean?

njmarchetti

Looks like those are the Firmware Update check ins. They occur every 24 hours from the first check in time. Just tried to downgrade the firmware to 40.20.2 again and the router immediately checked in and upgraded to 40.20.7, so I am at a loss for what to try next

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to njmarchetti

Personally I don't think that firmware version has anything to do with it directly since I'm seeing those errors at different years on different models with different firmware versions, but it seems to be related to firmware update checks.
»What does this mean from the Actiontec logs?

»businessforums.verizon.net/t5/Fi···p/292155

»forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Inter···-p/21726

»businessforums.verizon.net/t5/Fi···p/402587

»toddsnotes.blogspot.com/2010/03/···are.html
--

tnsprin

join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to njmarchetti

You can always download the update totally manually (use the same URL that is shown on the automatic update page. and mentioned earlier in this thread). But instead of having the router try to do it, you do it. Pointing at the URL causes a download to occur to wherever you want. Then after the download is complete you can tell the router to install from a file on your machine. Works more reliably sometimes then the automatic update. I had to use it at least on one router that kept failing the automatic update.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

and just to add to what tnsprin said, do it from a wired Ethernet connected computer because that's the most reliable connection to the router. (Every router I've ever upgraded always recommends this, so there must be some truth to this) I think it's because wireless has too many variables like a critical bit not getting passed or the wireless dropping in the middle of the upgrade process which could brick the router.
--