uniqs
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

Oil filter question..

For extended drains (15K/25K intervals), there are two filters that best fit the bill: Amsoil's Ea series and M1's Extended Performance series.

But taking extended drain intervals out of the mix for this discussion, what is the best filter for a typical synthetic oil change (typical interval being 5K-8K miles)? I've always regarded Wix as best of breed in that case, but I've done some research for a Dodge car, and many posts have suggested Mopar OEM as best of breed (currently being made by Purolator I believe).

Usually vehicle manufacturers go with lowest bidder when subbing out their own branded oil and filters. So this year's synthetic oil or filter might be very different from next year's synthetic, even if both years share the same "Motorcraft" label or "Mopar" label. Unfortunately, manufacturers will come and go under a lowest bidder model.

So drawing on the wisdom of others, what brand oil filter best fits the bill for the above situation (typical non-extended drain synthetic intervals)?

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

You'll get many opinions on this. Most brand name filters will be sufficient. I can personally recommend Wix by experience. My son's wheelchair van has 198,000 trouble free miles on the original 5.4L engine. The previous owner started using Amsoil and Wix from the first change the vehicle saw, changing it every 7500 miles. We continued this when we bought it.

DeltaElite
We Dont Dial 911
join:2002-03-29
Tucker, GA

DeltaElite to XXXXXXXXXXX1

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
My Chevy Silverado has 213k on Fram filters....Dont use mileage as a gauge.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

said by DeltaElite:

Could you explain what you mean about mileage? There are multiple factors to consider, but ability to go "X" miles certainly has to be a factor.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA

shdesigns to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
I prefer Purolator as the seem to work better and others have said they are better than average.

I stay away from Fram as they are often so poorly made. I have had the crimped edge of the can leak.

DeltaElite
We Dont Dial 911
Tucker, GA

1 edit

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
I go by the "change it often with anything that meets manufacturer specs" on long range vehicles....

I bought this truck new in 1999 as a long distance highway hauler.

So, the oil changes have been every 5k religiously with Castrol 30w synthetic blend and Fram filters.

But, in my motorcycle I spend an extra 3 dollars and buy the Wix.

I also had a 1992 Kawasaki Concours that used a cartridge type filter that went 141k using Fram CH6001's and Diesel Synthetic oil.....That motor died from a stretched timing chain that slipped. 2 weeks before the failure it tested within 2 psi of new across all 4 cylinders.

So, I always take the Fram bashing with a grain of salt. I've had 2 vehicles that stand in defiance of the so called expert advise and only changed brands on the new bike at the recommendation of a forum based on the check-valve spec on the filters.Another brand allows less drain back. This results in quieter starts.( ST1300 Honda is a V4 and shim under bucket valves....Anything that decreases valve train wear equates to large maint dollar savings, the Concours had lock-nuts and real lash adjusters.)

And I missed the "extended intervals" on origional post. I would change the filter with ________ every 5 k anyway.

Phoneman63
join:2001-02-22
Hauppauge, NY

Phoneman63 to XXXXXXXXXXX1

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
I myself use Purolator’s PureONE Oil Filter's on all my cars with synthetic oil.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
As always in this area, if there was a "best" then there would only be one oil filter sold. Everyone else would go out of business. As there is more then one oil filter... there is no "best".

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
I use Motorcraft/Puurolator. Never had an issue with 5w/20 full syn.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

1 edit

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

Very interesting... no clear consensus on this one, but I guess that's what I thought would happen. I think I may stick close to Lurch's recipe.

Given my above scenario, Amsoil OE 5W-20 could be paired with a Wix filter every 6K miles, and both could be purchased wholesale with a dealer/preferred customer account. It makes no sense to use XL or Signature Series and an Ea series filter if the intervals will be at 6K miles (the normal service OCI recommended by the manufacturer). In that case, more than OE paired with a Wix would just be serious overkill and an unnecessary expense.
Hahausuck
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

1 recommendation

Hahausuck to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
I like NAPA Gold, which are rebranded WIX. The guts are the same. They are much less expensive though.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

You know, I guess as long as one uses a quality filter and an appropriate OCI, one won't end up with a filter like this:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· uc0tj2po

Lurch77
Premium Member
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

Yikes! Did you see the picture of that filter cut open (linked on the youtube page)?

XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

I did see that linked pic. That is by far the worst sludged-up filter I have ever seen. It is just wrong on so many levels...

DeltaElite
We Dont Dial 911
Tucker, GA

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
Ok,

So, after seeing way too many video's today I have decided that the truck no has its last Fram filter.

But that sludge isn't the filters fault, its the doe doe head that owns the vehicle and didn't get the oil changed.

that is, unless someone knows otherwise......

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

4 edits

Anonymous_ to DeltaElite

Premium Member

to DeltaElite
said by DeltaElite:

I get a minimum of 5,500-6,000 miles on ac delco filters

I only got 2,000 on the fram ultra before (I changed it at 2,500 was extremely dirty and very black in color)

42$ out the door.

The engine also burned 2qt of oil
this is very odd for the engine since it never burns oil at that rate

normally it's 1/4qt to 3/4qt per oil change
which is way under manufacture spec for 6,000 miles (GM claims spec is 1qt per 1k miles). they set the bar high to avoid warranty repairs

I have to get at lest 5,000 to 6,000 to get my moneys worth on the FULL synthetic oil .

25$ FULL synthetic oil
4$ for filter
10$ for oil change

about
$42

I got lucky it did not turn into "sludge" I think the fram filters have something on them that turns the oil into sludge.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
I have found/heard that Fram is the worst oil filter you could possibly buy
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to DeltaElite

Premium Member

to DeltaElite
said by DeltaElite:

But that sludge isn't the filters fault, its the doe doe head that owns the vehicle and didn't get the oil changed.

that is, unless someone knows otherwise......

Sludge to the level seen in that pic/video is the owner's fault, not the filter's fault. Lack of oil filter maintenance (changing) must have been going on for years to get that bad. But Fram is not at fault for that one.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to XXXXXXXXXXX1

MVM

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
I have used many filters - Fram, Wix, Mobile 1, Valvoline, OEM Subaru/Honda filters for the last 2+ years - I have never had an issue with any of them.

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

1 recommendation

mattmag to XXXXXXXXXXX1

to XXXXXXXXXXX1

I would never recommend a change interval that is over 10K, no matter what the oil/filter combo. We know the synthetics are good, but they can't be expected to survive as well with the continual onslaught of combustion by-products that they have to face. It isn't going to happen with the size of today's oil filters, no mater how wonderful they are.

Just look at the side of a large diesel rig engine some time, and gaze at the very large, combo filter setups they use, and you'll see where I'm coming from. If you want to go that kind of miles (15-25k) without changing the oil, at lest be considerate of it and do a filter change about every 8k.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to XXXXXXXXXXX1

MVM

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
In other areas of the world, the oil filter is only changed every second oil change - and this is supported by the manufacturers.

Lurch77
Premium Member
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

If that is true, it's still better to change it more often than not enough.

mattmag

NW Illinois

mattmag to Cho Baka

to Cho Baka
said by Cho Baka:

In other areas of the world, the oil filter is only changed every second oil change - and this is supported by the manufacturers.

When I first started servicing cars, (about 1975) that was very typical even for domestic automakers. Keeping in mind of course, the typical interval to change was 3000 miles.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to mattmag

Mod

to mattmag
said by mattmag:

I would never recommend a change interval that is over 10K, no matter what the oil/filter combo. We know the synthetics are good, but they can't be expected to survive as well with the continual onslaught of combustion by-products that they have to face.

Is that based on just your opinion or is it based on oil tests by a respected lab?
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to Cho Baka

Premium Member

to Cho Baka
said by Cho Baka:

I've seen that interval on garden tractors as well. Typically I've seen oil recommended to be changed every 50 hours, and oil & filter every 100 hours. Since I run under 100 hours a year, I run Amsoil ASE 10W-30/SAE 30 paired with an EaO filter, and change both just once a year.

mattmag

NW Illinois

1 recommendation

mattmag to robbin

to robbin
said by robbin:

Is that based on just your opinion or is it based on oil tests by a respected lab?

Based on my opinion, which has been respected by many over the course of my automotive repair career.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx to mattmag

Premium Member

to mattmag
Since you're in the NW part of the state you understand the heat/humidity and sometimes brutal winters. I just purchased a used AWD 4x4 SUV with 52K. It's a new experience as I've driven F150 RWD for years. Because I drive few miles annually and mostly in small rural areas where I start/stop frequently I change oil ever 2000 -2500 miles - which is about once a year. I've always used 10W/30 and Fram filters.

I'd like your thoughts or recommendations. Thanks.

mattmag

NW Illinois

mattmag

Well I can definitely understand your climate concerns, that's for sure.

I would first see what oil the manufacturer recommends for the vehicle. Many newer ones are using 5W-30 as a year-round oil which I have no problem with. Using 10W-30 instead may actually increase consumption in some cases, so go with the OEM and you can't go wrong. I don't think any of us can make a very substantial argument against what the automaker calls for.

I used to have several customers that matched your driving pattern exactly. In those cases I skipped mileage, and went to a bi-annual change, typically just before Winter and again just before Summer, changing both the oil and filter. Sometimes they would have fewer than 1000 miles on the last change, but as you note the climate swings support changing on a regular schedule to help reduce the condensation effect. When you don't get the engine well up to operating temperature for a long enough time as in short trips, the moisture doesn't get removed completely as a result.

I have no problem with Fram filters, regardless of the very passionate debates that you will see for or against just about any brand as far as that goes. There are very few actually poor filter on the market today, unless it would be some vague gray-market counterfeit.

Hope that helps--- enjoy your new SUV!

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

1 edit

linicx

Premium Member

This vehicle is IL corn country -- you know what that means in terms of humidity -- and it is 13 years young.

I agree that condensation is a problem. Two blocks to the grocer is not enough. How long do you recommend driving it every 7-10 days? I can hit the highway and drive at 55 for 20 miles very easily.

I like the idea of 5W-30. I always change filter, grease zerts, check fluids, battery, etc. at every oil change.

What do you think about a bottle of Lucas at fill up, oil change, and for the transmission? It is a concern as I don't know if or when the tranny was serviced last. I am a demon about service. The dealer was going to sell it with a worn serpentine belt.

Thanks

shambler
YEAH-That's the ticket..
Premium Member
join:2000-09-19
Miami, FL

shambler to mattmag

Premium Member

to mattmag
Matt, you are absolutely correct. Oil change intervals have more to do with the actual type of vehicle usage and weather conditions than any general recommendation. For example, highway mileage in moderate climates is FAR easier on an engine AND oil than short trips and stop and go driving. Also, 5W-30 oil is superior for its lower viscosity when cold, allowing the engine to get oil pressure much quicker (thereby reducing engine bearing wear) on start-up.