spc
Search similar:

uniqs
billydunwood
join:2008-04-23
united state

billydunwood

[Rant] Bank of America 1 stupid decision

Have Bank of America for 2 years now, and love them BUT they made a stupid decision. Out of the blue, I get a new debit card in the mail today, saying they noticed "suspicious or fraud" activity on the card. Call them up to tell them there is no fraud and I will keep my debit card that I have now. They say I can not do that. I ask them if I could get the same special logo that is on my debit card (ordered it in the branch, law enforcement partner logo) and was told, it was an Additional fee. Finally she said, "we don't have that card anymore". So rather than call me and ask me if there is fraud/suspicious activity, they 1. Send me a new card with out of the blue 2. Refuse to honor MY decision not to take the card 3. Stopped making the logo on the debit card and didn't provide ANY alternatives. Other than this, they have been great

Xioden
Premium Member
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY

Xioden

Premium Member

Chances are if your bank or credit card sends you a new card due to them have detected fraud means one of two things.

A.) Something completely off your regular usage pattern occured (You swipe for your morning coffee somewhere in the US and 2 minutes later there is an attempt to use your card in Asia or perhaps suddenly "you" are attempting to buy tens of thousands worth of electronics).

B.) Your card information was part of a security breach somewhere that they are aware of and chose to not make public.

Considering that you are responsible for little or nothing resulting from fraudulent charges, they're not going to take your word for it.
billydunwood
united state

billydunwood

said by Xioden:

Considering that you are responsible for little or nothing resulting from fraudulent charges, they're not going to take your word for it.

I would agree with that statement, however they have called me in the past, verified my identity and I told them there was no fraud activity. Was good enough for them then.

williamray507
No More Mr Nice Guy
Premium Member
join:2001-10-04
Huntington, WV

williamray507 to billydunwood

Premium Member

to billydunwood
When I had them I was down in new orleans after katrina hit working and went to walmart bought a new laptop, then stopped by another store and my card wouldnt work, no call to inform me or anything. I had to call them and after waiting on hold for 30+ mins they finally picked up and told me what was going on, then i had to fight with them for another 30 mins to get my card working again. It can be a pain in the ass sometimes.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to billydunwood

to billydunwood
It's their butt on the line (in theory) if there are any fraudulent charges, so you have to make some concessions.
billydunwood
united state

billydunwood

said by Moffetts:

It's their butt on the line (in theory) if there are any fraudulent charges, so you have to make some concessions.

Which is why in the past they have verified to make sure it is 1. Me they are talking to and 2. no fraud has occurred.
In this case they should have:
1. Informed me before
2. Sent me a debit card with the same logo I have now or let me choose another one. Now I have a debit card that looks like crap
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to Moffetts

Premium Member

to Moffetts
Like my bank, not Boa for point of reference, turning off my debit card after I buy from two different gas stations in different parts of the same state when I'm traveling? I found out when I was out to dinner out of town after they closed their business hours, and if that was my main source of money I would of had to sleep in my damn car!

I was pissed, and was far less than pleasant on the phone when I could call them. If I had to wait the weekend to call them I would have been even more fuming. How much was the charge they were so worried about fraud about? Like $10.... I shouldn't have to plan ahead with my damn bank if I'm going to make a trip out of town.
billydunwood
united state

billydunwood

said by BlitzenZeus:

Like my bank, not Boa for point of reference, turning off my debit card after I buy from two different gas stations in different parts of the same state when I'm traveling? I found out when I was out to dinner out of town after they closed their business hours, and if that was my main source of money I would of had to sleep in my damn car!

I was pissed, and was far less than pleasant on the phone when I could call them. If I had to wait the weekend to call them I would have been even more fuming. How much was the charge they were so worried about fraud about? Like $10.... I shouldn't have to plan ahead with my damn bank if I'm going to make a trip out of town.

The B of A representative didn't even know if it was a "security breach" or "fraud activity". She just basically told me she couldn't help me with any of my debit card suggestions.

mettachain
Goblineer
join:2011-09-27
Azeroth

mettachain

said by billydunwood:

The B of A representative didn't even know if it was a "security breach" or "fraud activity". She just basically told me she couldn't help me with any of my debit card suggestions.

The B of A representative didn't even:
1. know if it was a "security breach" or
2. "fraud activity".

She just basically told me:
1. she couldn't help me with any of my debit
2. card suggestions.

FIXED

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium Member
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC

DC DSL to billydunwood

Premium Member

to billydunwood
Have you tried speaking with a manager in person at your branch to try resolving this? They sometimes are far more helpful than the phone droids. Bring your old card and the new one (with everything that was in the envelope).

Domane
Premium Member
join:2013-04-18

Domane to billydunwood

Premium Member

to billydunwood
It's poor customer service in how they answered your questions, and it's certainly a lousy experience to have your card cancelled by "surprise."

Simply FYI the details you describe all most guarantee that there was a security breach where your card number was either definitely breached or potentially breached along with a large number of other card numbers. (Even though there was not fraudulent activity on your card your card number was potentially or definitely in the hands of others so SOP by all major banks they cancel all the cards that were breached or potentially breached.

In the past when they noted on your account activity as an individual user they called you up to verify it was really you. You verified and your card remained active.

However, once they formally cancel a card they cannot reactivate it, (and in the hypothetical I've I've explained above you can see why.) They just quickly send you a new one.

It's a pain. Just be glad you didn't find out because you tried to use the old card after it was cancelled, (without your knowledge), to purchase something and your card was declined. That's embarrassing and if you happen to have no other money or cards on you at the time damn inconvenient.
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN to billydunwood

Premium Member

to billydunwood
said by billydunwood:

said by Moffetts:

Which is why in the past they have verified to make sure it is 1. Me they are talking to and 2. no fraud has occurred.
In this case they should have:
1. Informed me before
2. Sent me a debit card with the same logo I have now or let me choose another one. Now I have a debit card that looks like crap

Most likely because whatever it was, the number was compromised as opposed to unusual usage pattern. Their reaction was correct. Cancel and re-issue. It's SOP.

Personnaly I'd prefer that than having to fight fraudulent activity, especially on a debit card that sucks funds straight out of my account.
AsherN

AsherN to billydunwood

Premium Member

to billydunwood
said by billydunwood:

Thae card wiyuld have been flagged as cancelled by the security/fraud department. There would have been nothing else available to the agent. Nor should there be for security and privacy reasons.

DC DSL
Premium Member
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

DC DSL to Domane

Premium Member

to Domane
There is no specific law or requirement that banks personally notify customers of fraud attempts against their accounts. Quite often fraud is detected with no direct human intervention. There are numerous triggers and/or combinations of things, such as a particular merchant ID, transaction processor, region, frequency of submissions, "pings," invalid CVV2, transaction origins or merchants outside a customer's established footprint or demographics; or reports of exposed account info from processors, merchants, security research, even banks themselves. Generally, if cards are reissued, it means there is a significant number of accounts that are compromised...and, absent an absolute requirement to do so, it would be impracticable to contact each cardholder personally. Even banks that do personally contact to verify unusual transactions typically do so only in cases of "live" card-present transactions, or occurring within a few hours prior.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger to billydunwood

Premium Member

to billydunwood
Just remember this they was suspecting fraud and cancelled the card. If was fraud and by the time they contacted you they could have been thousand of dollars that they would not be able to get get back. They did the right thing thing. Now if you responsible for the fraudulent charges you could keep the card.
For me a picture on the card does nothing to me. It could pink with purple dots on I would not care.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

1 recommendation

Johkal to billydunwood

MVM

to billydunwood
If this is a debit/credit card, it would have an expiration. Your card would be replaced eventually any way.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH
(Software) pfSense
Switches Trash Bin
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

hitachi369 to billydunwood

Premium Member

to billydunwood
I work for a bank, not Bank of America. We do the same thing, we have quarterly comprise batches where we will close a stack of cards that maybe compromised. We will also do smaller batches for higher risk, higher probability fraud.

What likely happened is BOA was notified by Visa or MasterCard that your card number was part of x number of cards used at a merchant or card processor and your information may have been leaked. Your bank will then look at the cost of doing nothing or the cost of issuing new cards.

My bank sees the costs of issuing the cards as a smaller cost that the potential fraud and we close the card's with regularity.

As for them not having the card design you previously had, that is a service issue on there part. You may want to call back or speak with your branch to see what options you have. It sounds like the phone drone you spoke with was making up there answers.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to billydunwood

Premium Member

to billydunwood
Its a debit card, who the hell really cares what a debit card looks like?

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

To each his own.
billydunwood
united state

1 recommendation

billydunwood to rody_44

to rody_44
said by rody_44:

It was a special card which supported Law Enforcement, and had a cool design.
billydunwood

billydunwood to Johkal

to Johkal
said by Johkal:

If this is a debit/credit card, it would have an expiration. Your card would be replaced eventually any way.

2 years from now, sure.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

1 edit

Caddyroger to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
said by rody_44:

I am with on this I do not care how it looks like. I only care about the numbers are ok.
billydunwood
united state

billydunwood

said by Caddyroger:

said by rody_44:

I am with on this I do care how it looks like. I only care about the numbers are ok.

I am happy for you, in that you don't care what your card looks like. But I do, and many probably do because many banks have different card designs.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

said by billydunwood:

said by Caddyroger:

said by rody_44:

I am with on this I do care how it looks like. I only care about the numbers are ok.

I am happy for you, in that you don't care what your card looks like. But I do, and many probably do because many banks have different card designs.

If many cared why did BOA stop doing it. It probably was because there was no demand for it.
billydunwood
united state

billydunwood

said by Caddyroger:

If many cared why did BOA stop doing it. It probably was because there was no demand for it.

I have no idea, the rep just said "we stopped our association with them" after chatting with them again today. It was funny, the rep I talked to yesterday said I would be charged a "fee" for ordering another design on a debit card, even though they sent me a crappy one without notifying me. Really? I just laughed

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to Caddyroger

MVM

to Caddyroger
said by Caddyroger:

said by rody_44:

I am with on this I do not care how it looks like. I only care about the numbers are ok.

I don't care either, but to each his own as I posted before. You'll always find someone that doesn't care about what you find important.

We like what we like!

DC DSL
Premium Member
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

DC DSL to billydunwood

Premium Member

to billydunwood
said by billydunwood:

I have no idea, the rep just said "we stopped our association with them" after chatting with them again today. It was funny, the rep I talked to yesterday said I would be charged a "fee" for ordering another design on a debit card, even though they sent me a crappy one without notifying me. Really? I just laughed

As I said previously: Stop in at your branch and speak with a manager about your situation. Dial-a-ding-dong is pointless.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to billydunwood

to billydunwood
said by billydunwood:

said by rody_44:

It was a special card which supported Law Enforcement, and had a cool design.

Poor thing. My wife had a Suns basketball logo card lost almost the same way.
billydunwood
united state

billydunwood to DC DSL

to DC DSL
said by DC DSL:

said by billydunwood:

As I said previously: Stop in at your branch and speak with a manager about your situation. Dial-a-ding-dong is pointless.

Going to do that tomorrow, or Monday whenever I have time off work.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to Xioden

Premium Member

to Xioden
said by Xioden:

B.) Your card information was part of a security breach somewhere that they are aware of and chose to not make public.

Had my BMO (Bank of Montreal) debit card cancelled because of something like this.

They told me my card had been used at a retail store where someone had been caught swiping debit card information, and that as a preventive measure they cancelled the cards of everyone who had shopped there in a particular timeframe.

They refused to tell me what the store was and the specific date when it happened. Understandable, as it probably wasn't the stores fault anyways, could have been just an employee.

The only thing BMO did wrong IMHO is that they never called me to inform me they had cancelled the card. First declined transaction I just assumed there was a problem with the store's system or something, then a couple weeks later (I don't use my debit card often), another declined transaction, that's when I decided it wasn't a fluke and called BMO. Sure enough, they had cancelled the card, and made no apparent effort to try to contact me and inform me.