uniqs
Shady Bimmer
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03

Shady Bimmer to Jeff

Premium Member

to Jeff

Re: Cablecard Issue - Activation Problems

Proper activation with CableCards on FiOS can be a challenge. Previously VZ did not pass copy protection details so pairing (device/card) was not required. Simple authorization of the card was sufficient. Once HBO (which also owns Cinemax) forced VZ to honor/pass copy protection restrictions paring became required (at least to receive those channels). This is where the problems may arise.

it took me several weeks working with escalating levels of support first by phone and later via the Verizon Direct Forum to obtain success. A little patience was needed, but I was able to get my card properly "activated" (paired).

You may want to review the SiliconDust forums, in particular Prime/CableCARD - Activation & General Support. There are multiple FiOS related threads with tips.
mgamer20o0
join:2003-12-01
Norwalk, CA

mgamer20o0

i just went though this the other week was thinking of writing up a little guide. the key i found was using the chat tech support.

this was the key part for me with the chat.

In my case the "ICAD" Validate did NOT work. So the tech went into CPE Manager ( which is a more complicated system) and performed a Finalize Re-validate and we re-entered all data again ( CableCard ID, Host ID & Data ID ). ONLY AFTER the Finalize Re-validate in Verizon's CPE Manager software did my problem get resolved. And the resolution was pretty much instant.

it took 2 times before i got it working correctly. the 1st guy just sent a new card even though i told him that wasnt the problem. i just closed the chat and started again and it worked.

Jeff
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium Member
join:2002-12-24
GMT -5

Jeff to Shady Bimmer

Premium Member

to Shady Bimmer
said by Shady Bimmer:

Proper activation with CableCards on FiOS can be a challenge. Once HBO (which also owns Cinemax) forced VZ to honor/pass copy protection restrictions paring became required (at least to receive those channels). This is where the problems may arise.

Thanks for the tips. I checked out SD's forum from your link, and noticed the Fios activation topics. Apparently it's not so much an activation, but a validation. Apparently there is some confusion on what "activation" actually means to VZ vs. Silicondust. It's frustrating to me (as a user) when it's potentially just a matter of semantics, which seems to be at least part of the problem.
said by mgamer20o0:

In my case the "ICAD" Validate did NOT work. So the tech went into CPE Manager ( which is a more complicated system) and performed a Finalize Re-validate and we re-entered all data again ( CableCard ID, Host ID & Data ID ). ONLY AFTER the Finalize Re-validate in Verizon's CPE Manager software did my problem get resolved. And the resolution was pretty much instant.

Thanks for this info. I will mention it in VZ Direct, which is the next troubleshooting level I'll be working with.

Last night's chat ended unsuccessfully. I will say the agent was great, patient, and did all she could do, including escalating it to engineering during our chat. I would say the chat took about 45-60 minutes, and we worked through getting the card enabled, then activated. Still didn't work--I still only get the clear channels. She tried, but I have to escalate this in the Direct Forum.

Thanks for both of the replies.
Jeff

Jeff to Shady Bimmer

Premium Member

to Shady Bimmer
Just as an FYI, a post I made to the Verizon Direct forum today at 12:15 was seen and the issue resolved by 4PM. Card working as it should now. Thanks for the tips and help everyone.
JOHNBON00007
join:2013-07-25

JOHNBON00007

I having the same issue, i can see only basic channel with fios, but not premium channels like tnt, espn, sci fi,. they keep sending me a new card but the issue still is there. Do you have to re scan after that??? did u see more channels in cable folder???