spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JJJohnson

join:2001-08-25
Fort Collins, CO

Comcast TV and HSI for a Bar/Restaurant?

I've made some inquiries about Comcast cable service (TV and HSI) for a small Bar & Grill that I'm associated with. I've also been doing a somewhat informal survey of other bars in the area. ZERO have Comcast cable for their TV service, with virtually all of them using satellite TV and DSL for internet connectivity. Of course, any bar that wants the NFL Sunday Ticket needs to have DirecTV to get it, but many of these places have no interest in Sunday Ticket.

Any insight here as to what's going on? Why is Comcast failing to gain a even a small toehold in this area? I'm leery of signing up for a service that everyone else has already rejected.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 edits
Almost all the bars around here have comcast but thats because they have to have comcast for CSN here which is a must. As with all cable tv companies its very expensive in a Bar setting as you pay per seat in a commercial environment. So in areas where its a must to get a local sports station a bar will have comcast. In a area where the local sports is on both. Sunday ticket will trump regular cable service. your decision is going to come down to them two simple facts. At least if you plan on being open on Sunday.

Around here absent comcast a bar would lose over 20 phillies games a year Tons of flyers and sixers games and one hell of a lot of business. Its not a one sport decision.

Comcast Guy

join:2008-01-16
Harrisburg, PA
reply to JJJohnson
Seems like there is a sales rep missing out on some good business partnership opportunities.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to JJJohnson
said by JJJohnson:

I've made some inquiries about Comcast cable service (TV and HSI) for a small Bar & Grill that I'm associated with. I've also been doing a somewhat informal survey of other bars in the area. ZERO have Comcast cable for their TV service, with virtually all of them using satellite TV and DSL for internet connectivity. Of course, any bar that wants the NFL Sunday Ticket needs to have DirecTV to get it, but many of these places have no interest in Sunday Ticket.

Any insight here as to what's going on? Why is Comcast failing to gain a even a small toehold in this area? I'm leery of signing up for a service that everyone else has already rejected.

well also the HD for NHL CI, MLB EI, NBA LP, MLS DK sucks as well.

Also no BIG ten HD alts

directv has Altitude Sports & Entertainment HD + overflow HD and ROOT Sports Rocky Mountain HD.

I did a quick look at the comcast website and the HD lineup is very weak in Fort Collins

JJJohnson

Fort Collins, CO
said by Joe12345678:

directv has Altitude Sports & Entertainment HD + overflow HD and ROOT Sports Rocky Mountain HD.

I did a quick look at the comcast website and the HD lineup is very weak in Fort Collins

Funny you mention those, because I consider those two stations the most important for local sports (Nuggets, Avalanche and Rockies). The sales rep sent me a channel listing (including the sports package) that is a mile long, but had no mention of either Altitude Sports or Root Sports Rocky Mountain. When I asked him specifically if those two stations are included, here's the reply that I received:

"They are in the channel lineup. You will have to work with the technician to figure out what channel it is exactly."

I'm not sure I believe him.

Joe12345678

Des Plaines, IL
said by JJJohnson:

said by Joe12345678:

Funny you mention those, because I consider those two stations the most important for local sports (Nuggets, Avalanche and Rockies). The sales rep sent me a channel listing (including the sports package) that is a mile long, but had no mention of either Altitude Sports or Root Sports Rocky Mountain. When I asked him specifically if those two stations are included, here's the reply that I received:

"They are in the channel lineup. You will have to work with the technician to figure out what channel it is exactly."

I'm not sure I believe him.

cable is very Regional and the likely the local people know more about the local line up.

JJJohnson

Fort Collins, CO
said by Joe12345678:

cable is very Regional and the likely the local people know more about the local line up.

If those stations are available locally in Comcast's home service, could I conclude that they'd also be a part of any package sold to business customers?

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Yes comcast isnt going to exclude bars from getting local sports.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
reply to JJJohnson
DirecTV has more sports like Sunday Ticket, and thats key for the Bar area.

Also DirecTV shows the HD quality picture when you go to the channel by default. So type in 206 to go to ESPN and you see it in HD.

I do see some restaurants / bars with cable, nice beautiful flat screens and HD boxes near them. However there's a training issue for the employees to put them on the "right" channel. 9 times out of 10 I see stretched, washed out poor quality SD pictures. It's because on cable there's a whole second set of numbers for HD. So now add that to the laundry list of day to day operations to train every staff member. DirecTV is just easier, people will see better pictures and there's more sports options available if you want. A bar lined with beautiful mounted flat screens all showing pristine HD pictures really looks stunning. Adds to the overall ambiance and keeps patrons there watching, drinking, spending money.

mariod

join:2009-06-16
I would expect LOCAL sports are more key to a bar/restaurant than Sunday Ticket. Sunday Ticket only matters for six hours on 17 days of the year, and it doesn't apply to the home team.

Os

join:2011-01-26
US
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to JJJohnson
A lot of the smaller bars simply don't care about picture quality, and those have cable.

I've been spending a lot of time in State College, PA lately and a lot of the bars there do have Comcast because of the Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia issue. I had never seen a bar have HD cable until I went to State College.

Comcast Guy

join:2008-01-16
Harrisburg, PA
said by Os:

A lot of the smaller bars simply don't care about picture quality, and those have cable.

I've been spending a lot of time in State College, PA lately and a lot of the bars there do have Comcast because of the Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia issue. I had never seen a bar have HD cable until I went to State College.

Pennsylvania has a TON of bars with Comcast for CSN Philly. Usually if they care about the ticket, they just have both.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
reply to cypherstream
You dont really believe bars decide on providers based on Second sets of hd channels? Customers dont have any problem telling bartenders to change the channel. If they have the sd version on its simply because no ones cares at the time whats on.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Comcast Guy
My favorite bar has both about 26 tvs at the bar area. Kind of funny when that aquiring satellite signal comes up. Half the tvs go out and the bartender is always like fck now i have to redo them all. But yea in the philadelphia area any bar with more than two tvs comcast is a must.

rscalzo

join:2006-07-07
Epping, NH
reply to JJJohnson
Also DirecTV shows the HD quality picture when you go to the channel by default

The same thing the new X1 boxes do.

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to JJJohnson
said by JJJohnson:

... I've also been doing a somewhat informal survey of other bars in the area. ZERO have Comcast cable for their TV service, with virtually all of them using satellite TV and DSL for internet connectivity. ...

That seems to be my experience around here (Danbury, CT region) as well. The bars tend to have satellite TV, with lots of TVs around the establishment. One tavern has a TV at each table/booth with a remote to control the satellite set-top box for that TV.

It may be possible that the satellite company has much better pricing for so many TVs in a commercial establishment. It may also be that Comcast has a pretty horrible reputation around these parts.

I don't know what drives the bar owners towards satellite, but I do see that they tend to prefer satellite over Comcast cable. Maybe this has something to do with it: »images.businessweek.com/tc/jdpow···ble_sat/

Judging from what I'm been reading in these forums of late, Comcast seems to have no concern about improving their horrendous customer service reputation. Indeed, they seem to be walking away from any efforts to improve it. That saddens me because I see the wonderful work the Engineering folk like Netdog do here, and I wonder why Comcast management is so against quality customer support at the corporate level.

Joe12345678

Des Plaines, IL
Well comcast page has

»business.comcast.com/smb/service···nts/faqs

Comcast does not charge for High Definition Programming. However, an HD outlet is required for an additional fee.

with double talk like that it's not a good sign.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

1 edit
reply to JJJohnson
I read a story last year that 80% of Sports Bars choose Directv for one reason, the NFL Sunday Ticket. That could change in 2014 as the CEO of Directv as already hinted nothing is in stone regarding renewing the contract.

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to JJJohnson
There are bars in my area that have only Comcast for tv and/or internet, and our local Buffalo Wild Wings franchise has Comcast TV/Internet, and also has DirecTV due to Sunday Ticket

If I had a sports bar, I'd have both - gotta have DirecTV for NFL Sunday, and I'd have Cableco/Telco TV for bad weather days...

Been to too many bars that lose the DirecTV signal during a storm!

Joe12345678

Des Plaines, IL

1 edit
reply to bohratom
good luck with comcast doing NFL ticket HD right they still only have at best 1 HD slot for NBA LP / MLS DK and 2 HD slots for MLB EI / NHL CI.

Also only 1 PPV HD evnets channel.

Os

US
reply to JJJohnson
They have the bandwidth. The issue has to be Comcast's own ambivalence toward a strong HD lineup or that the contract doesn't include it, and is a longterm one.

There's no reason they can't have Game HD 1-9 and Team HD 1-9 technologically.

Joe12345678

Des Plaines, IL
said by Os:

They have the bandwidth. The issue has to be Comcast's own ambivalence toward a strong HD lineup or that the contract doesn't include it, and is a longterm one.

There's no reason they can't have Game HD 1-9 and Team HD 1-9 technologically.

technologically do they need SDV or MPEG 4 to add that?

also can in demand fit in NFL ST with 12-15 HD feeds + 12-15 SD feeds? As well the NBA LP / MLS DK / MLB EI / NHL CI needs.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
I would think being they just shut off the local stations analog they would want to do something with all that bandwidth.

Os

US
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Joe12345678
A lot of those channels are MPEG-4, but it's not like that has stopped Comcast from converting other MPEG-4 channels to MPEG-2. I know this is done for premium feeds of HBO and Cinemax. I don't know if the X1 is capable of decoding MPEG-4, but if it is, then they could very easily do what Cox has done with the Plus packages, add a bunch of channels, and require an additional upgrade to get them.

Joe12345678

Des Plaines, IL
said by Os:

A lot of those channels are MPEG-4, but it's not like that has stopped Comcast from converting other MPEG-4 channels to MPEG-2. I know this is done for premium feeds of HBO and Cinemax. I don't know if the X1 is capable of decoding MPEG-4, but if it is, then they could very easily do what Cox has done with the Plus packages, add a bunch of channels, and require an additional upgrade to get them.

as long as they don't force phone and make it work for cable card users.