share rss forum feed

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
join:2002-10-08
Schaumburg, IL
kudos:5

Hardwood for 5 stairs, how much?

How much do you think it would be to put hardwood on 5 stairs..
I wouldn't do the work my self, I got a quote for about $110.00 a stair..
However that seems a little high to me....
--
»www.RestartYourComputer.net

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
That's probably not a bad price, it's a fantastic price if it includes finishing the hardwood.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to SuperNet9
How big's the stairs?

What's the scope? Tread and riser, or just the tread?

Prefinished, or raw wood and finishing?

Are there balusters/pickets involved?

All that said - $110/each, for something you're not willing or able to do yourself, probably isn't bad.

Get another quote, compare & contrast...

join:2013-07-08
MA

4 edits
reply to SuperNet9
I just did solid red oak stairs. They ran about $60 per stair for materials only. I even bought my stuff tax free in NH and had a 15% off discount. I'd guess good hardwood stairs would run ~$70-75 in materials alone for most people. That's nails, drill bits, counter punch, trim, treads (1" thick), risers, glue, shims, wood putty, finish, sand paper, & steel wool. (Everything minus labor)
»Re: Garage addition

I'm curious like Msradell does that include finishing? I'd suspect that's just unfinished stairs given how much I just paid for stairs. I'd give someone $110 a stair without a second thought if they did it all. That's peanuts on labor given the material costs.

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
reply to SuperNet9
said by SuperNet9:

How much do you think it would be to put hardwood on 5 stairs..
I wouldn't do the work my self, I got a quote for about $110.00 a stair..
However that seems a little high to me....

I was going to say that's not bad.

I think it costs about $100 to roll a truck

MA
reply to SuperNet9
Did you find any cheaper prices then $110 each?

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
Schaumburg, IL
said by 02778712:

Did you find any cheaper prices then $110 each?

I got a price for $90.00 a stair. Is that a good price you think?
It is stained and installed.
--

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
That's only $100 difference when done. I might not sweat that difference and now it would come down to the reputation of the carpenter and how good his/her work is...

dbamber

join:2003-02-07
Bandon, OR
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
·CenturyLink
reply to SuperNet9
How thick are the treads, how wide are they? What is the depth of the treads? Do you want solid treads or glued up ones? What grade of oak are you looking for? Vertical grain, mixed grain, #1 ? Red or white oak? All of these will cause the price to fluctuate of what you are buying. Beware of what you get from some of the big box stores. I have seen oak veneer on top of whatever was in the mill when the treads were manufactured.

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
Schaumburg, IL
reply to SuperNet9
here are pics of the stairs that are carpet that i am going to have done with hardwood, here are the other stairs that have hardwood already.
--

MA
reply to SuperNet9
Have you ripped a little of the carpet to see if there is already hardwood under there? You might just need to get the stairs refinished.

MA
reply to dbamber
Click for full size
said by dbamber:

How thick are the treads, how wide are they? What is the depth of the treads? Do you want solid treads or glued up ones? What grade of oak are you looking for? Vertical grain, mixed grain, #1 ? Red or white oak? All of these will cause the price to fluctuate of what you are buying. Beware of what you get from some of the big box stores. I have seen oak veneer on top of whatever was in the mill when the treads were manufactured.

I checked with 2 local lumber yards when I did my stairs a few months ago. The only carried 3/4" thick red oak treads while Lowe's carried 1" thick red oak treads. I bought the lumber to make the risers from the lumber yard and treads from Lowe's. On top of that they were cheaper at Lowe's so it was a no brainer to get thicker treads for less money. If someone else were to do my job I'd have gotten 3/4" thick red oak treads that cost more since they would have went with the lumber yards stock. That was the only time I've ever seen a box store beat the lumber yard on wood stock.

dbamber

join:2003-02-07
Bandon, OR
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
·CenturyLink
I know from my time spent dealing with the Mass. state building code that you could have no more than 3/16" riser height difference from one tread to the next one, and no more than 3/8" difference in the riser heights in the whole run of stairs. So possibly go from 3/4" to 1" thick treads could potentially cause a problem.

MA
said by dbamber:

I know from my time spent dealing with the Mass. state building code that you could have no more than 3/16" riser height difference from one tread to the next one, and no more than 3/8" difference in the riser heights in the whole run of stairs. So possibly go from 3/4" to 1" thick treads could potentially cause a problem.

Mine are already inspected and done but I'm sure if the OP wanted to do them himself this might be an issue. It wasn't posted to debate code but to illustrate how materials vary from place to place so the OP should understand what he's getting from the contractor before hiring them for the job.

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
Schaumburg, IL
reply to SuperNet9
So,How much is materials for a project like this would cost? My guess he is going to make $350.00 off this job in profit ?
--

MA

1 edit
said by SuperNet9:

So,How much is materials for a project like this would cost? My guess he is going to make $350.00 off this job in profit ?

Any idea how wide the stairs are? If they are 36" or less the materials are cheaper. I had to get the 48" pieces since my stairs were 41ish inches wide. The riser and tread were about $50 plus nails & adhesive so say $52 per stair in materials for me. If you have 36" or smaller stairs then drop the price to like $44 a stair in materials. I'd guess he'll make like $200-250 profit off the job.

Is he going to finish (poly) the stairs in that $90? If he has to poly the stairs then add another $8-10 in materials per stair. At best case he would make $150-200 profit. I'm guessing he's not finishing (poly) the stairs. Either that or he's getting prefinished materials which are even more expensive.

Just for some contrast we had a deck built a few months ago. They charged $125 per stair which is just pressure treated lumber. Granted they had to make the stringers and hang them which you won't need done. I got 6 quotes on the deck and everyone else was higher!

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
Schaumburg, IL
Thanks, the stairs are 33" shorter than36"
He is going to stain it and everything.
--