uniqs

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

1 recommendation

mattmag to XXXXXXXXXXX1

to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Re: Oil filter question..

I would never recommend a change interval that is over 10K, no matter what the oil/filter combo. We know the synthetics are good, but they can't be expected to survive as well with the continual onslaught of combustion by-products that they have to face. It isn't going to happen with the size of today's oil filters, no mater how wonderful they are.

Just look at the side of a large diesel rig engine some time, and gaze at the very large, combo filter setups they use, and you'll see where I'm coming from. If you want to go that kind of miles (15-25k) without changing the oil, at lest be considerate of it and do a filter change about every 8k.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

said by mattmag:

I would never recommend a change interval that is over 10K, no matter what the oil/filter combo. We know the synthetics are good, but they can't be expected to survive as well with the continual onslaught of combustion by-products that they have to face.

Is that based on just your opinion or is it based on oil tests by a respected lab?

mattmag

NW Illinois

1 recommendation

mattmag

said by robbin:

Is that based on just your opinion or is it based on oil tests by a respected lab?

Based on my opinion, which has been respected by many over the course of my automotive repair career.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx to mattmag

Premium Member

to mattmag
Since you're in the NW part of the state you understand the heat/humidity and sometimes brutal winters. I just purchased a used AWD 4x4 SUV with 52K. It's a new experience as I've driven F150 RWD for years. Because I drive few miles annually and mostly in small rural areas where I start/stop frequently I change oil ever 2000 -2500 miles - which is about once a year. I've always used 10W/30 and Fram filters.

I'd like your thoughts or recommendations. Thanks.

mattmag

NW Illinois

mattmag

Well I can definitely understand your climate concerns, that's for sure.

I would first see what oil the manufacturer recommends for the vehicle. Many newer ones are using 5W-30 as a year-round oil which I have no problem with. Using 10W-30 instead may actually increase consumption in some cases, so go with the OEM and you can't go wrong. I don't think any of us can make a very substantial argument against what the automaker calls for.

I used to have several customers that matched your driving pattern exactly. In those cases I skipped mileage, and went to a bi-annual change, typically just before Winter and again just before Summer, changing both the oil and filter. Sometimes they would have fewer than 1000 miles on the last change, but as you note the climate swings support changing on a regular schedule to help reduce the condensation effect. When you don't get the engine well up to operating temperature for a long enough time as in short trips, the moisture doesn't get removed completely as a result.

I have no problem with Fram filters, regardless of the very passionate debates that you will see for or against just about any brand as far as that goes. There are very few actually poor filter on the market today, unless it would be some vague gray-market counterfeit.

Hope that helps--- enjoy your new SUV!

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

1 edit

linicx

Premium Member

This vehicle is IL corn country -- you know what that means in terms of humidity -- and it is 13 years young.

I agree that condensation is a problem. Two blocks to the grocer is not enough. How long do you recommend driving it every 7-10 days? I can hit the highway and drive at 55 for 20 miles very easily.

I like the idea of 5W-30. I always change filter, grease zerts, check fluids, battery, etc. at every oil change.

What do you think about a bottle of Lucas at fill up, oil change, and for the transmission? It is a concern as I don't know if or when the tranny was serviced last. I am a demon about service. The dealer was going to sell it with a worn serpentine belt.

Thanks

shambler
YEAH-That's the ticket..
Premium Member
join:2000-09-19
Miami, FL

shambler to mattmag

Premium Member

to mattmag
Matt, you are absolutely correct. Oil change intervals have more to do with the actual type of vehicle usage and weather conditions than any general recommendation. For example, highway mileage in moderate climates is FAR easier on an engine AND oil than short trips and stop and go driving. Also, 5W-30 oil is superior for its lower viscosity when cold, allowing the engine to get oil pressure much quicker (thereby reducing engine bearing wear) on start-up.