uniqs
54067323 (banned)
join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

1 edit

54067323 (banned) to thestealth

to thestealth

Re: Room AC Unit Faulty?

Do you see any icing up on the evaporator coil?

Is the coil wet top to bottom?

Also is the unit level front to back, many times when people install window units they tip them toward the outside for drainage which can reduce the capacity as there is no condensation for the slinger ring on the condenser fan to pickup and blow through the condenser coil.

Jackorama
I Am Woman
Premium Member
join:2008-05-23
Kingston, ON

Jackorama

Premium Member

said by 54067323:

Do you see any icing up on the evaporator coil? Is the coil wet top to bottom?

^ This.

This would happen a lot during this type of high humidity conditions when I had a window unit. Would have to run just the fan until the ice melted and the coils dried up a bit.
54067323 (banned)
Tuscaloosa, AL

54067323 (banned)

said by Jackorama:

This would happen a lot during this type of high humidity conditions when I had a window unit. Would have to run just the fan until the ice melted and the coils dried up a bit.

If an A/C is icing up it either has a restricted air flow or more commonly it is low on refrigerant.

Jackorama
I Am Woman
Premium Member
join:2008-05-23
Kingston, ON

Jackorama

Premium Member

Most likely something like that. It was only a cheap 6000 BTU small window unit and only would do it when the humidity was 90% + with high heat.
thestealth
Premium Member
join:2009-11-10
Saint-Hubert, QC

thestealth to 54067323

Premium Member

to 54067323
said by 54067323:

Do you see any icing up on the evaporator coil?

None that I can see. I assume this is the room facing coil.
said by 54067323:

Is the coil wet top to bottom?

The bottom 1/2" or so has some dampness
said by 54067323:

Also is the unit level front to back, many times when people install window units they tip them toward the outside for drainage which can reduce the capacity as there is no condensation for the slinger ring on the condenser fan to pickup and blow through the condenser coil.

My unit does have a slight lean towards the outside. Does this really make that big of a difference? Should I get my level out and shim the unit?
said by leibold:

I'm not sure what other heat-mitigation you are already doing but if your living room window is facing the sun consider closing blinds/curtains to reflect much of the radiant heat instead of letting it into the room.

I have close off the room and closed all the blinds (old style vinyl type that no light passes thru).
said by alkizmo:

When I had a window AC unit, I had to hose it down every year.
I first realized that when it was 3 years old and not performing well. I had never cleaned it at that time. When I did, the performance raised by quite a lot.

I have never done this to this unit. I assume you hosed it out to clean both the inside and outside coils of the unit? When the heat breaks I may give this a try, though I may just go the compressed air/vacuum approach.
said by older dog:

You can compare my results to your situation to make a determination if your unit is defective. Assuming you don't have a lot of heat gain from open halls, oven etc you AC is defective. The temperature of the air coming out of the unit should be around 50f 10c.

I did the same setup as you to measure my output temp and only got 16C or so.

Thanks for all your help. Maybe I was expecting a bit much from this unit. Once the heat breaks I will give the unit's coils a good cleaning and shim it level. Just maybe this will solve my problems.
54067323 (banned)
Tuscaloosa, AL

54067323 (banned)

said by thestealth:

My unit does have a slight lean towards the outside. Does this really make that big of a difference? Should I get my level out and shim the unit?

A slight lean is probably not going to give you trouble.

When the unit runs is any moisture discharged through the condenser (the outside coil) is the unit dripping condensation outside?

The bottom 1/2" or so has some dampness

Unless you have extremely low humidity that is not a good sign as the entire coil should be cool and moist.

You very well may be running way low on Freon to the point it's beyond freezing up.