spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jbarczew

join:2004-12-20
Saint Louis, MO

best router to go with charter docsis 3.0 modem?

Not as worried about price as i am about maximizing speed with my router...

signed up for charter's plus package and they'll be installing tomorrow.

Would it be to my advantage to purchase my own router or modem to help increase speeds as fast as possible?

I asked their rep and here's the conversation we had:

"me: Can I purchase my own router to optimize speed? if so, what are your recommendation?

Ashley R: Sure can, we will give you a docsis 3.0 cable modem. Either Scientific Atlanta OR Motorola."

I'm taking the advice offered by user BF69, to get a wireless N router to do the wifi myself.

Are most of these routers basically the same, or do any perform better?

thanks

lineofsight

join:2003-01-03
East Saint Louis, IL
Anything with a gigabit connection to the modem is probably good. I like the Netgear WNDR3700, it can be had pretty cheap since it isn't the latest and greatest anymore. I find it interesting that Charter is telling you Scientific Atlanta and Motorola.
My friend is in Swansea, IL, just got a Charter provided modem, it was a Cisco DPC3008.

jbarczew

Saint Louis, MO
interesting....

thanks for the help, lineofsight

passerby

join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI
reply to lineofsight
Cisco bought Scientific Atlanta a few years back. Some still hang onto the old nomenclature.

jbarczew

Saint Louis, MO
reply to jbarczew
man there is alot of info about wireless routers out there.

hard to pin down concrete reviews as everyone has different ideas

I'm narrowing in on a couple of routers but trying to see if they will work with charter

they are the 802.11ac routers

1.) TRENDnet AC1750 Dual Band Wireless Router (TEW-812DRU)

or

2.) NetGear R6250 WiFi Router

searching for advice on these 2 routers.

thanks for any help

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2
reply to jbarczew
Just about any router (functionally) will work with your cable modem. The points you may want to consider for your in home environment would be:

1: Ensure your cable modem is in "Bridge" mode before you connect your new router to the modem. This will assist in performing any port forwarding behind the router, if needed.*

2: If connecting multiple devices on your internal LAN, make sure your routers LAN/switch ports support 10/100/1Gb nics.

3: Make sure your wireless devices all support the same protocol, B/G/N or pre AC.

4: I don't use wireless in my environment so I have no real first hand experience but I have heard/read some good reports on the Asus RT series of wireless routers

passerby

join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI
The modem provided has no other function than to act a bridge, so there's no issue there.

samthegam

join:2011-12-10
Monterey Park, CA
reply to jbarczew
I just purchased the Netgear R6300v2 and it is working well with my Ultra 100 service. It seems to offer an extended range in the 5G network compared to my prior router. My previous router the Netgear WNDR4500 also worked quite well with the Ultra 100 service.

jbarczew

Saint Louis, MO
thanks, samthegram

i'm leaning towards the netgear 6250

left4dead

join:2008-12-24
Burbank, CA
reply to jbarczew
Cable Modem: Motorola SB6141
Router: Asus RT-N66U

CoolMan

join:2008-01-07
Tennessee
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Charter
·Suddenlink
reply to jbarczew
said by jbarczew:

man there is alot of info about wireless routers out there.

hard to pin down concrete reviews as everyone has different ideas

SmallNetBuilder is a good site with lots of detailed reviews about routers.

mdavej

join:2004-06-09
united state
reply to jbarczew
My Trendnet was very cheap and has been rock solid. Never have to reboot like I did every few months with Cisco/Linksys. I've had Netgear in the past and was never very impressed. Could be different now though. Belkin is consistently the worst I've ever had.

Lewy

join:2013-04-05
I've not used Trendnet, but I concur with your analysis of the other products you mentioned.