All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Garneac
join:2011-05-01
Brampton, ON

Garneac

@GeorgeBurger: So, a Rogers loyalty rep came to my house...

Hello George (and VMedia) and anyone else in the know.

So. A Rogers loyalty rep came to my house. After offering us a pretty damned good deal (even though it's only for the year; "depending on what offers are available at the end of promotion, you could get an extension of the current offer or something better"), she was adamant that a Rogers technician would have to come out to the house before we'd be able to get service; that, or we would eventually be disconnected.

She said it's VMedia's responsibility to ensure a Rogers tech comes out to our house prior to the change in service. Again, she's adamant that despite the transfer of service from Rogers to VMedia, we WILL be disconnected in the end.

What is VMedia's response to something like that? Is it true? I thought all I had to do was plug in my already purchased modem and I'd be good to go. Does a transfer always require a tech to come out? If so, why wasn't I told about this? (I'm not accusing. I just want to know.)

(Also, Rogers reeeeeally needs to calm the fuck down with the disparaging rhetoric aimed at their competition. She scorned dslreports, saying everyone here must be, without fail (and without having visited the site), a paid employee of whatever ISP for which you're working. Word of mouth, she declared, is best; trust nothing on the internet, she insisted. Except word of mouth with people I know IRL would only have made me aware of either Rogers or Bell, and nothing about third party providers.

Having never heard of VMedia, she instantly said their service, quality and anything else would be horrible and the deals were too good, so they had to be lying. Teksavvy, according to her, is the only one who uses Roger's lines; even then, she kept verbally sniping. Oh, and Start, apparently, is a complete fabrication. And this even after having called her manager to ask a question or two.)

Anywho. VMedia resells Ciktel's lines, right? I'm not the most tech savvy (heh) guy around, so I'd love to know how, exactly, your service will be coming to me if, as the overbearing rep insists, whatever it is you guys are selling, it most definitely won't be coming through Roger's lines. And, again, what is the final say on whether or not a tech will have to come out to the house prior to the start of service?

Thanks in advance, George—or anyone else who can offer some help!

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS

I think you meant to post in this forum: »Canadian Broadband

That was where George responds too mostly.
Garneac
Brampton, ON

Garneac

Aiee. I was so sure I'd done that.

Should I just post there, then, or can someone somehow move the topic there? Also, there's stuff in there some of you more knowledgeable folk could answer.

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS

So you're transferring internet service from Rogers to VMedia.

Are you also cancelling any other services with Rogers such as TV or home phone?

When you cancel all services with Rogers, sometimes they're system requests an automatic truck roll to your home to disconnect your cable since in their system you have no service with them.

But if its just an internet transfer, it shouldn't happen.

(Oh, a mod can move the thread as well)
Garneac
Brampton, ON

Garneac

I'm cancelling all services with them.

But I explained that to the rep. That despite their system (or whatever) showing that we would no longer had service with them, couldn't she have a tech apply a filter (I think it's called?) or make some note in the system about the third party internet provider?

She said no. That however VMedia is delivering their service, it wouldn't have anything to do with Rogers...

EDIT: And I reported the thread so a mod could move it. Thanks!
Garneac

Garneac to TypeS

to TypeS
I'm also going to put a note on the Rogers box on the side of the house explaining the situation. Hopefully that'll go some ways to avoiding a disconnect. Blarg.

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS

Threads about cancelling all services with Rogers typically come up quite often and what usually happens is folks lose internet connectivity for a few days because a Rogers truck comes by, disconnects the service and then their respective ISP needs send a ticket to Rogers to be reconnected. But in these scenarios someone already has their service with a provider like VMedia and cancels whatever services they have left with Rogers.

Yours is a bit different since you're signing up with VMedia. In this case it'd probably be better to pay the full activation feed and get installation tech, they actually have these thick orange zip ties with a label "TPIA" on them. I'm assuming you've opted for the cheaper transfer option from VMedia?
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

1 edit

bt to Garneac

to Garneac
said by Garneac:

I'm also going to put a note on the Rogers box on the side of the house explaining the situation. Hopefully that'll go some ways to avoiding a disconnect. Blarg.

Those disconnects are very rare these days.

If you're using the same modem you used with Rogers, you should have a short amount of downtime - a few hours overnight. Edit: You may need to unplug the modem for ~30 seconds and plug it back in.

If you're using a new modem, it should be working before your Rogers modem stops working. Once the Rogers modem stops working, swap in the new one and continue on.

There's no reason to fear the transfer.
Garneac
Brampton, ON

Garneac to TypeS

to TypeS
Yeah, the transfer option.

But won't that lead to the issue with installation techs failing to show up? There are enough stories about that and the frustration about the missed appointments, too.

Also, do you know how VMedia would be getting their service to me? I've read they're resellers of Ciktel. How, exactly, does that work with Rogers—if it does at all?

Thanks for the responses, btw. Much appreciated.
Garneac

Garneac to bt

to bt
Well, then. That's good news.

I'd no idea switching services could be so damned...stressful. >_>
bt
canada

bt to Garneac

to Garneac
said by Garneac:

Also, do you know how VMedia would be getting their service to me? I've read they're resellers of Ciktel. How, exactly, does that work with Rogers—if it does at all?

Depends on what you ordered - VMedia offers both Cable and DSL internet. Cable uses Rogers lines, DSL uses Bell lines.
bt

bt to Garneac

to Garneac
said by Garneac:

I'd no idea switching services could be so damned...stressful. >_>

It isn't, really. Unless you've got Rogers reps giving you misinformation.
Garneac
Brampton, ON

Garneac to bt

to bt
So I was right! I told her they used Rogers' lines and she made a face like I'd just said something embarrassingly silly.

She even called up her manager who, according to her, confirmed VMedia had nothing to do with their lines.

So, yeah, misinformation it is.
bt
canada

bt

said by Garneac:

So I was right! I told her they used Rogers' lines and she made a face like I'd just said something embarrassingly silly.

She even called up her manager who, according to her, confirmed VMedia had nothing to do with their lines.

Well... it's quite possible her manager looked up the companies that do use Rogers lines on some kind of internal list and didn't see VMedia - since VMedia gets their cable connections through CIKTel. So internally, Rogers might only see the name CIKTel, and never VMedia.

But the end result for you is that you'll still be getting your internet through Rogers lines, regardless of what company name Rogers sees the order come in from.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal to Garneac

Mod

to Garneac
said by Garneac:

To be fair, when ISPs started using Bell's lines for resold DSL service in the late 90s / early 2000s, most Bell employees (techs, customer service, etc) knew little or nothing about other companies using Bell's network to deliver their own service, let alone the names of the companies that were involved. This rep's behaviour does reflect poorly on Rogers, but it shouldn't really come as a surprise, especially if VMedia doesn't buy from Rogers directly but through another TPIA provider.

If a tech visit would lessen the risk of an accidental disconnection / downtime, wouldn't it make sense to go through that? Weigh the cost in time of being there for a tech to walk in, look at everything, say "Yep, it's fine" and put an orange TPIA tag on your line, or have the service go down and wait for repair to show up or fix it remotely. I'd say the former is less overall stress, but that's just me.
Garneac
Brampton, ON

Garneac to bt

to bt
Got it. Thanks. =)
Garneac

Garneac to Kardinal

to Kardinal
TypeS suggested that, too.

I'd be fine; convincing the folks, though... Far as they're concerned, there's been too much spent for the first month for all three services with VMedia and Teksavvy. Still, I'll give it a shot when they get home.

I'd pay up. Only I'm a broke summer student at the moment.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to Kardinal

to Kardinal
said by Kardinal:

To be fair, when ISPs started using Bell's lines for resold DSL service in the late 90s / early 2000s, most Bell employees (techs, customer service, etc) knew little or nothing about other companies using Bell's network to deliver their own service, let alone the names of the companies that were involved.

It still appears to generally be the case today:
- I had three door-to-door Bell salesmen pass by my apartment about 1.5 years ago and none of them seemed to have any idea what wholesale DSL was.
- When I moved a few weeks ago, the Bell rep who took my phone order wanted to sell the usual triple-play bundle and didn't seem to understand why I had no interest in Bell's $35/month internet with 15GB cap + $10 for unlimited when I can have a 75GB cap with unlimited off-peak for $26/month so the $10/month I save on TV vs Videotron costs me $20/month on the Internet end of things.
- I had to spend five minutes explaining to Bell's xDSL tech why I had a non-Bell modem and why I never signed up for Fibe/FibeTV due to Bell being unable/unwilling to match TSI for internet prices and caps.

It seems that Bell's staff is at best vaguely aware of GAS ISPs.

Maxx2006
join:2013-02-02
Guelph, ON

Maxx2006 to Garneac

to Garneac
I put a note in a Ziplock that stated Third Party Internet do not disconnect or filter and attached to the Dermac Box. They did not disconnect us.
GeorgeBurger
join:2011-12-30

GeorgeBurger to Garneac

to Garneac
Thank you all very much for pitching in like this. The fact is we are in major snowstorm right now dealing with upgrades to aggregated POIs and unfortunately because Rogers has not yet entered into TPIA negotiations with us we are dependent on the kindness of strangers...for all you Streetcar Named Desire fans out there.

So we are juggling slowdowns and disconnects as the transitions are taking place, primarily in Ottawa and Etobicoke but other spots as well, and the issue is amplified when you get our TV service, which of course will snap crackle and pop if you don't get a nice steady stream of bandwith. But we will persevere, and in the long run...not that long...all of you who have supported us and have faith in our desire to provide quality affordable internet and TV with as much choice and flexibility as is possible in this market...will be rewarded. This is a movement-we are not called VMedia for nothing, and for those who want to come along with us, everything will change, for the better. I promise.