·AT&T Yahoo
·Verizon FiOS
·Metrocast Commun..
·localphone.com
·voip.ms
·AT&T DSL Service

2 edits

[Northeast] Any advantage using RJ port on ONT vs router in brid

I have a MI424WR FIOS N Router REV. I, and may be having a service call for an issue unrelated to data.

I'm not having any issues, but is there any advantage to using the RJ port (Ethernet port) on the ONT vs MCOA on the router, with the router set in bridge mode. If there is might have the tech do that.

I don't use the VZ provided router for anything other than bridge; I have an ASUS N66 with Shibby that provides all the router services, including wireless.

I'm on 15/5 now, but might upgrade to the 75/35 at some point.

Just curious, couldn't find an answer on the boards.

Edit: Another question: if I don't have a truck roll, can they make this change remotely?

U1
--
---
U176

batsona
Maryland

join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Verizon FiOS

Re: [Northeast] Any advantage using RJ port on ONT vs router in

Using the RJ45 port allows you to use any router you want for your WAN connection, versus being tied to the ActionTec. Plus (this might be splitting hairs..) less possibility of interference from analog noise in the home, but you'd probably have to have a 50,000 watt TV transmitter on your roof for that to be a problem. The Verizon techs in the VZ-forum can remotely make the switch for you, from what I know.

You'll still need the ActionTec on your network somewhere to bridge IP between your core network, and the COAX segment, so the STB can still speak IP.

dev_null
Pithy tag line goes here.

join:2002-08-14
Boston, MA
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·AT&T Yahoo
·Verizon FiOS
·Metrocast Commun..
·localphone.com
·voip.ms
·AT&T DSL Service

Hmmm, didn't realize the video side made use of the router, thought that once the RJ45 port was activated the router would be disabled.

I don't have an STB, I use a cablecard in my Homerun Prime with DLNA, but perhaps the same applies.

At any rate, unless there is a definite advantage (there are no TV transmitters, but a boatload of other 2.4-band wireless signals, hence the N66 for the 5gHz band), I'd probably just stay with the Actiontech in bridge mode and leave it alone.

Thanks for the response.

--
---
U176

mjrpayaya

@rr.com
reply to dev_null

Moca has about 3.5ms of latency compared with 1ms for twisted pair Ethernet. Not a big difference but if you don't have TV service then I'd remove the Actiontec to simplify things. If you upgrade to 75/35 Moca may bottleneck at 70Mbps without multiple TCP connections.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to dev_null

said by dev_null:

I don't have an STB, I use a cablecard in my Homerun Prime with DLNA, but perhaps the same applies.

MoCA is not required for CableCard operation, so it sounds like you don't need the Actiontec at all. Switch your Asus router over to ethernet connection out of the ONT as primary router. Check out the FAQ for part 1 and part 2 starting here. »Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Replacing the Actiontec (part 1): Coax to Ethernet

Retain the Actiontec for troubleshooting network problems. It's been reported previously that VZ techs balk at working with non-VZ routers.