All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to Garneac

to Garneac

Re: @GeorgeBurger: So, a Rogers loyalty rep came to my house...

said by Garneac:

Also, do you know how VMedia would be getting their service to me? I've read they're resellers of Ciktel. How, exactly, does that work with Rogers—if it does at all?

Depends on what you ordered - VMedia offers both Cable and DSL internet. Cable uses Rogers lines, DSL uses Bell lines.
Garneac
join:2011-05-01
Brampton, ON

Garneac

So I was right! I told her they used Rogers' lines and she made a face like I'd just said something embarrassingly silly.

She even called up her manager who, according to her, confirmed VMedia had nothing to do with their lines.

So, yeah, misinformation it is.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

said by Garneac:

So I was right! I told her they used Rogers' lines and she made a face like I'd just said something embarrassingly silly.

She even called up her manager who, according to her, confirmed VMedia had nothing to do with their lines.

Well... it's quite possible her manager looked up the companies that do use Rogers lines on some kind of internal list and didn't see VMedia - since VMedia gets their cable connections through CIKTel. So internally, Rogers might only see the name CIKTel, and never VMedia.

But the end result for you is that you'll still be getting your internet through Rogers lines, regardless of what company name Rogers sees the order come in from.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal to Garneac

Mod

to Garneac
said by Garneac:

To be fair, when ISPs started using Bell's lines for resold DSL service in the late 90s / early 2000s, most Bell employees (techs, customer service, etc) knew little or nothing about other companies using Bell's network to deliver their own service, let alone the names of the companies that were involved. This rep's behaviour does reflect poorly on Rogers, but it shouldn't really come as a surprise, especially if VMedia doesn't buy from Rogers directly but through another TPIA provider.

If a tech visit would lessen the risk of an accidental disconnection / downtime, wouldn't it make sense to go through that? Weigh the cost in time of being there for a tech to walk in, look at everything, say "Yep, it's fine" and put an orange TPIA tag on your line, or have the service go down and wait for repair to show up or fix it remotely. I'd say the former is less overall stress, but that's just me.
Garneac
join:2011-05-01
Brampton, ON

Garneac to bt

to bt
Got it. Thanks. =)
Garneac

Garneac to Kardinal

to Kardinal
TypeS suggested that, too.

I'd be fine; convincing the folks, though... Far as they're concerned, there's been too much spent for the first month for all three services with VMedia and Teksavvy. Still, I'll give it a shot when they get home.

I'd pay up. Only I'm a broke summer student at the moment.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to Kardinal

to Kardinal
said by Kardinal:

To be fair, when ISPs started using Bell's lines for resold DSL service in the late 90s / early 2000s, most Bell employees (techs, customer service, etc) knew little or nothing about other companies using Bell's network to deliver their own service, let alone the names of the companies that were involved.

It still appears to generally be the case today:
- I had three door-to-door Bell salesmen pass by my apartment about 1.5 years ago and none of them seemed to have any idea what wholesale DSL was.
- When I moved a few weeks ago, the Bell rep who took my phone order wanted to sell the usual triple-play bundle and didn't seem to understand why I had no interest in Bell's $35/month internet with 15GB cap + $10 for unlimited when I can have a 75GB cap with unlimited off-peak for $26/month so the $10/month I save on TV vs Videotron costs me $20/month on the Internet end of things.
- I had to spend five minutes explaining to Bell's xDSL tech why I had a non-Bell modem and why I never signed up for Fibe/FibeTV due to Bell being unable/unwilling to match TSI for internet prices and caps.

It seems that Bell's staff is at best vaguely aware of GAS ISPs.