share rss forum feed

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Two wire multi-function garage door control

Specifically how do garage door opener wall controls control multiple functions despite having only two wires?

Different resistances? Or maybe there is some more sophisticated signaling? I am not sure how to search for the answer. For example, my wall control does lock/unlock, open/close and light on/off.

I have this wall control »www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdi···0009/139
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by ArgMeMatey:

Specifically how do garage door opener wall controls control multiple functions despite having only two wires?

Different resistances? Or maybe there is some more sophisticated signaling? I am not sure how to search for the answer. For example, my wall control does lock/unlock, open/close and light on/off.

If it's like my old Chamberlain, yes, different resistance or (I like to think of it as) different currents.

When I first got it, I wondered the same thing and rigged up a box that open/closed, locked and turned on the light by controlling the amount of current flowing in the 2 wires.

YMMV on new ones
--
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:9
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to ArgMeMatey

I have no idea about this specific model, but there are many ways to get multiple functions over a 2-wire interface. Many garage door openers perform 2 or 3 functions with just a simple button (single push; two quick pushes in short succession; push and hold). Two button models may use low voltage AC and have each button in series with a diode. Resistor arrays for multifunction 2-wire remotes would work but are not as common as one might expect based on how simple and cheap the remote can be build. The challenge is the tolerances of the resistors themselves and the added resistance of the wiring and the button contacts. You are more likely to find tone frequency encoding (such as DTMF) for multifunction remotes (such as those with numeric keypads).
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

ArgMeMatey

Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to ArgMeMatey

I am asking because I am interested in an add-on device that automatically closes the garage door.

Their FAQ language leaves them plenty of wiggle room ...
Q. Will the Garage Butler work on all garage door systems?
A. Most likely yes. If your garage closer/opener has a working button that the Garage Butler can attach itself to then yes.

»www.garagebutler.com/support/faq/

But I couldn't find any special instructions for a two-wire multi-function wall control.

I also looked at autocloser and they just say more or less to check your opener owner's manual.
»www.autocloser.com/
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
USNGWeb

ArgMeMatey

Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to ArgMeMatey

Click for full size
It wasn't too tough to reverse-engineer the wall control, which is a Craftsman 41A4884:

Open/close switch just closes the circuit
Lock switch puts a 22 uf cap in series
Light switch puts a 1 uf cap in series

All the switches are NO. So any NO device can be connected to terminals 1 & 2. Unless I'm missing something.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
USNGWeb

ArgMeMatey

Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to ArgMeMatey

After all that I found that Chamberlain makes a retrofit kit for my opener that includes a timer for not much more than the items I had been checking out.

Includes an Ethernet unit that provides internet access, free smartphone apps, and a replacement wall control that allows use of Security+2.0 and MyQ in addition to my existing Security+ openers and keypad. It's also integrated with the photo eye and the electronics built in to the opener motor, which is a clear advantage over aftermarket devices.

Works great.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
USNGWeb

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

Do you have a link to that product? It sounds interesting.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

said by garys_2k:

Do you have a link to that product? It sounds interesting.

+1 - I'd be very interested in using it on my garage doors, too!

ArgMeMatey

Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to garys_2k

For my 2004-vintage Security+ (Not 2.0) Craftsman opener, I got the CIGCWC, which includes the 828LM gateway and the 888LM wall control.

(Also just for the record I am not being compensated in any way for what some might call an endorsement.)