uniqs

SuperJudge
Raiden Wins
Premium Member
join:2002-11-14
Atlanta, GA

SuperJudge

Premium Member

Implementing HTML5 multiple bitrate video (not HLS)

I understand that HTML5 does not support adaptive bitrate streaming or HTTP Live Streaming.

I read, however, that HTML5 is capable of detecting bandwidth, and selecting a proper bitrate file (low and high bitrate webm, ogg, and mp4).

I've been scouring the net looking for example code, and I have come up with a very clean HTML5+Flash fallback, and a great client side MIME configuration, with custom controls.

I'm wondering, could anybody can point me toward implemented code or a tutorial on HTML5 bandwidth detection that points to file selection?
Expand your moderator at work
SuperJudge

SuperJudge

Premium Member

Re: Implementing HTML5 multiple bitrate video (not HLS)

I guess this was as popular as it seems to be everywhere else.

Thanks anyway.

mythology
Premium Member
join:2002-10-16
Seneca, SC

mythology

Premium Member

Id like to see an example of what you are talking about.

SuperJudge
Raiden Wins
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

SuperJudge

Premium Member

said by mythology:

Id like to see an example of what you are talking about.

That's exactly what I'd like to see--just an example; it seems everybody's avoided it, for some reason. I can't find an implementation in action, nor a howto or tutorial.

KoolMoe
Aw Man
Premium Member
join:2001-02-14
Annapolis, MD

KoolMoe to SuperJudge

Premium Member

to SuperJudge
I'd like to read where you read HTML5 can detect bandwidth
There is some Google Chrome implementation ("webkitVideoDecodedByteCount") but I think it's pretty...rough. I've never tried it.
I think the only thing you can do at this point is a 'typical' javascript test of a user's connection, hope it's accurate, and serve up the video based on the results.
Sample here on the JS test:
»stackoverflow.com/questi ··· vascript
HTH!

SuperJudge
Raiden Wins
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

SuperJudge

Premium Member

Actually, this is pretty much what I was hoping for. I was just hoping to see it implemented in code, so I could--for lack of a better term--steal it.

I know there's no dynamics beyond that, though I hear a bit about m3u8 working with html5, but that would require too much more than I'd care to deal with--I've already tried webm dynamic (mpd?), and failed.

Implementing even a rudimentary setup with that kind of script would be pretty good; I really just want to make it available to the handful of dialup/3g users that attend college here.

Know of any sites that take this script and show how to implement it in a page?

KoolMoe
Aw Man
Premium Member
join:2001-02-14
Annapolis, MD

KoolMoe

Premium Member

Unfortunately, no. Something I've had way down on the list of things to try, never have... I'm sure places like speedtest.net and such bandwidth testing sites do something similar...if you can get behind the page and find the actual JS functions...