spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Bandito

join:2003-01-23

Reply without a "reply to" ?

I thought I would re-create a thread on the subject since I still don't understand.

Without getting complicated with different scenarios. How does one make a comment in a thread without the "reply to" appearing?

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
If post is followed next to the one it was replied to, there is no "reply to".
In other words, if you don't see "reply to", this post is a reply directly to the next one above.
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Bandito
The 'reply to ...' link appears if the reply is not to the immediately preceding post:

#4 replies to #3 -> there's no 'reply to ...'
#5 replies to #3 -> there's a 'reply to ...'

(Is that the "reply to" you're talking about?)

Edit: as we see, timing is everything (object example, too)

Bandito

join:2003-01-23
Alright....the responses were exactly the kind I was trying to avoid. Now my head is spinning, lol.
But yeah, that's what I was referring to.

But sometimes you don't want to reply to anyone, you just have a comment to write?

So if I understand correctly, this board decides automatically if it displays "replies to" or not? The user cannot do anything to prevent the removal of the "reply to" when commenting?

And don't ask me to remember which post I clicked to write this one. I dunno. lol

BTW, how old is this forum. Isn't it time it is upgraded to new a format? Using HTML code in forums seems rather dated?

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
You may want to take a look at this thread, where I made proposal to solve this problem:
said by Reply to thread - OZO :

If it's implemented this way, it's easy to differentiate replies made to the thread from replies made to particular posts. And there is no need for any disclaimers (as mentioned above) anymore.

--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

GlennAllen
Premium
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Bandito
Honestly, you can't make a reply that isn't to someone or to what someone said (in any forum using any forum software as far as I'm concerned); if you have a comment not for the thread, then start another thread of your own. A reply "to the thread" is a reply to the OP--to the first post or person who started the discussion (OP = Original Poster, or sometimes the Original Post). You also have the option of replying to a specific post later in the thread by using the reply (or qreply [aka "quick reply"]) button(s) at the bottom right of the comment box--it's actually in the box so it should be obvious that it's for a reply to that comment, in part or in whole (which is what using Quote is all about). The other two reply buttons--one at the top and one at the bottom--reply to the thread or OP. I really don't see anything there to be confused about. If you don't care enough about where you put your comment, well, that's up to you and really has nothing to do with the software or layout used by the forum. It also should be obvious that a comment w/o a 'reply to ...' is to the comment right above it (which is why the link is not shown--links are supposed to take you somewhere out of the current position, which is something that isn't necessary if what you'd be pointing/linking to doesn't actually take you anywhere).

Are some changes coming, and soon? Yes. Stay tuned and you'll see for yourself. Switching to some "canned forum software", though, isn't part of the plan; basic functionality won't change all that much as far as I know. And that's the way a majority of us here like it.

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
said by GlennAllen:

Honestly, you can't make a reply that isn't to someone or to what someone said (in any forum using any forum software as far as I'm concerned);

I do know of one exception to that principle.
--
AT&T Uverse; Buffalo WHR-300HP router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.3; firefox 22.0

GlennAllen
Premium
Richmond, VA
Are you saying that some replies spring out of nothingness instead of evolving from that which came before?

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
In that forum that I linked, you can make a "general reply". You would be expected to be discussing the topic of the thread, but not responding to a specific comment.

It's a forum with a debate orientation. If there is a reply to your post, you are expected to respond or to at least acknowledge it in some way. A general reply to a topic does not impose such an obligation.

I'm not proposing any such change here. I was just giving an example of a forum where you can post to an existing topic without it being seen as a reply.
--
AT&T Uverse; Buffalo WHR-300HP router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.3; firefox 22.0

GlennAllen
Premium
Richmond, VA
Well, then, I guess that forum is pointless in more ways than one.

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5
reply to nwrickert
This is a reply, to test.

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5
reply to GlennAllen
I was puzzled as to why my posts didn't often contain the "reply to ..." while others in that same thread did. The thread here seems to explain this phenomenon: »Reply without a "reply to" ? but it was too old for me to test. This thread here seemed to be the next best thing.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Bandito
said by Bandito:

But sometimes you don't want to reply to anyone, you just have a comment to write?

So if I understand correctly, this board decides automatically if it displays "replies to" or not? The user cannot do anything to prevent the removal of the "reply to" when commenting?

If you're commenting in a particular thread... a thread started by someone else and spurred your comment, you need to hit the "Reply OP" box at the end of the thread.
As others have attempted to explain, if you just hit the "reply" box on another comment, unless it is the one directly above your comment/response the reply to link will appear. If you comment in any thread. it is assumed it is in response to the thread-starter, and subsequently, it is deemed to be a reply to that original comment... unless it is in response to someone else's comment. The only way to completely avoid any "reply to..." link is to start a topic of your own. It is rightfully assumed that any comment you make in a thread is in response to either the thread topic or someone's previous response. Totally unrelated comments have no place in someone else's thread. That's just common sense!
--
Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your nose to the grindstone, and your ear to the ground. Now, try to work in that position!!!