tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
kudos:1
reply to justin

Re: Something changed, and if it isn't a bug, I don't/do like it

noticing an odd behaviour with the minibar now.
i see that when i have updated posts or new im's -- the minibar icon flashes.

the issue that i'm seeing that if i leave the page up -- either due to inactivity and then reactivity, or through long activity on the page -- both flash repeatedly, as if there are both a new im and an updated post.

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

So far, I have not noticed any of the strangenesses which have been reported most recently, regarding Minbar flashing icons.

For me, they either flash properly, as intended, or they do not flash at all, depending upn which browser, as I indicated in my last 2 posts.

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
join:1999-05-28
kudos:15

the extraneous flashing was introduced earlier today by accident, and removed an hour ago.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

Thank you.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
reply to justin

said by justin:

the extraneous flashing was introduced earlier today by accident, and removed an hour ago.

Sh00t, I missed it !

= = = = = = =

Who knows - mayhaps it didn't affect IE8 users.

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
reply to justin

Minibar add popup

While I wouldn't say that the URL info is useless, I would say that it's unnecessary to duplicate it in the popup--now as wide as needed to accommodate it--since it's part of the page itself:

double-extra-wide and then some

GlennAllen
Premium
Richmond, VA
reply to justin

Almost half of my [formerly] "private" forums are gone (from /postlist)--over to the "social" side (may the farce be with you). I feel... lessened somehow. Hey, wouldn't this be a good place for a "Hey Mods" forum link?

justin
..needs sleep
Australian

this being what ?

GlennAllen
Premium
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

this:

said by GlennAllen:

... "private" forums [span#priv] ... [on] /postlist

That "Hey Mods" tab no longer shows up much** on "user scoped" pages since you changed the horizontal view back to the old way.

Edit: **In fact, the only page so far on which I've seen it is »/forums/all

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 recommendation

reply to justin

I just tried "Quote Highlighted" with a code block.

It does not work.

I first tried just one line from the code block, and got only "...". So I tried the entire code block, and that did not work either. However, if I do not highlight anything, then I can quote the entire post. If you want a test case, it was this post: »Re: New computer won't boot
--
AT&T Uverse; Buffalo WHR-300HP router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.3; firefox 23.0

justin
..needs sleep
Australian

quoting part of a code block or part of a quote within a quote is unlikely to work but you can probably quote a selection that entirely wraps either.

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:2
reply to justin

Click for full size
Screenshot attached for Juggernaut See Profile

He is not going to accept the cert as he's unsure as to what is going on. This was taken tonight.
--
"Treat your men as you would your own beloved sons. And they will follow you into the deepest valley." -Sun Tzu

justin
..needs sleep
Australian

ws.dslr.net is the SSL websocket address used by javascript for push notifications, with a normal SSL certificate from startssl, nothing to do with the image server.

and btw my firefox 23.0.1 does not complain about SSL to ws.dslr.net either.

Hahausuck
Premium

So are you saying it should be accepted? Why would it be a problem on his browser and not on other folks?

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
Reviews:
·iiNet

yes it should be accepted, why would it be a problem on his browser? perhaps because his browser or PC has an outdated root certificate trust database, or a browser add-on is screwing things up.

Also he should try other browsers, see if they have the same issue, sometimes if the SSL stuff is handled by the OS not the browser an OS problem will cause all browsers to require manually accepting the certificate.

It would be nice to know what exactly the browser finds wrong with the certificate.

finally, can he visit https ://i.dslr.net ok, and https: ://secure.dslreports.com
both of those need proper SSL as well, one certificate is issued by godaddy the other by startssl for those two.

Hahausuck
Premium
reply to justin

He says the first one (error) he got said thr cert was from go daddy and that it was revoked.

justin
..needs sleep
Australian

Which domain got a certificate revoked error? ws.dslr.net i.dslr.net or secure.dslreports.com ?

Anyway, no, it has not been revoked.

kkb
Object of the Panopticon

join:2000-06-11
Colorado
reply to justin

Re: Recommend

If I "recommend" a post in a thread, then later open that thread again using the little "new posts" arrow to see more posts, if any of the new posts received a "recommend" (not by me obviously, as this is my first time to view them) they are annotated as having my recommendation.

If I go back and open the thread from the title, only the post I recommended is flagged as such.

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

I am not seeing that.

I see a count of recommendations. But I only see the text "you recommended this" on posts that I actually recommended.

There is a change from old behavior. Previously, recommendations (or approvals or votes or thumbs) were private. Now we can see the gross count of how many but we cannot see who they are from.

I'm okay with this change.
--
AT&T Uverse; Buffalo WHR-300HP router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.3; firefox 23.0

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
Redford, MI
kudos:3
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to justin

Two strange things today. This link The second image would not display.

Also spell check takes part of the URL link reference which I mistook for mal-formed HTML and wasted time pondering a correction. This post does not have a problem with the imbedded link here, but I could not get the spell checker to flag the link trying "Thsi" or "Htis" for example". (Yet is flags the examples!)

Ah - it was the special letters in the image name! »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Biosp···A9al.jpg

So the only weirdness is the spell check.
--

Jim, VoIP 12/2002, VOIPo 2/2007
FAH-Tool~Pets~Artist-247

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29
reply to justin

Something has changed with how FAQ Table of Contents are displayed on the right side.

If I go to a specific FAQ, the table of contents for that section used to be displayed on the right hand side, with the entry for the specific FAQ as a non-hyperlink. This was very handy when posting hyperlinks on other sites back to a particular FAQ. The non-hyperlink text was the only place I'm aware of where I could copy the title of FAQ without getting the URL.

As a side note, what appears on the right side seems to depend on how I navigate to a particular FAQ. If I click on a FAQ with a URL of the form .../faq/forum/section#number, "This Section" is displayed on the right. If I click on a URl of the form .../faq/number, the top level TOC appears on the right. This seems inconsistent. If I click on .../faq/number, I would expect the section TOC on the right to allow me to navigate within the section rather than returning me to the top.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

justin
..needs sleep
Australian

that got lost in a shuffle or when I put in the wysiwyg editor sorry, it is back now.

Expand your moderator at work

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·Anveo
·Shaw
·AcroVoice

I now need to press CTRL+F5 to see an updated list of topics. Using Firefox 23.0.1 on Windows 7. Pressing F5 or clicking the reload button makes the little icon spin for a second or so but otherwise does nothing.

Not a significant/urgent issue, obviously.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29
reply to justin

said by justin:

that got lost in a shuffle or when I put in the wysiwyg editor sorry, it is back now.

Not seeing it in either Chrome or IE8. Are we talking about the same thing?

Top level menu

Section level menu

At a specific FAQ. The right side is now back to the top level TOC. It's not showing the section level TOC with the current FAQ as a non-hyperlink.

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
Reviews:
·iiNet
reply to Mango

said by Mango:

I now need to press CTRL+F5 to see an updated list of topics. Using Firefox 23.0.1 on Windows 7. Pressing F5 or clicking the reload button makes the little icon spin for a second or so but otherwise does nothing.

I'm not sure what's up with that but if you look at a forum that gets frequent updates, you will see that the forum auto-updates when someone posts to it, or adds new topic.

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
Reviews:
·iiNet
reply to Mango

said by Mango:

Irregardless of the automatically updating forums I did try F5 (not control F5) on Firefox 23.0.1, with the Network tab open and observed that it functions as you'd expect, it contacts the server, waits and receives the new page.

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·Anveo
·Shaw
·AcroVoice

said by justin:

I'm not sure what's up with that but if you look at a forum that gets frequent updates, you will see that the forum auto-updates when someone posts to it, or adds new topic.

I did notice this. About 1/2 the time when I go back to the tab and look, it's updated automatically. The other half of the time it didn't auto-update and I need to CTRL+F5.

Thanks for the tip about the Network tab. I will use that next time I see the problem and hopefully it will point me in the right direction.

justin
..needs sleep
Australian

if the tab is hidden auto updates are disabled as that is a waste
nevertheless I don't know why or under what circumstances a single click "reload" would be ignored by Firefox, I will have to play around with it because it sounds fishy.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
reply to justin

When I "reply" to a PM I received by using the quick bar at the top... I have to go back and click "ok" on the sender's name to get it to go away. It's like its not registering it as a "read message" despite my having replied to it. Is that intended functionality? (FireFox 23.0.1)
--
Intelligence is no substitute for Character.