·AT&T Yahoo
·Verizon FiOS
·Metrocast Commun..
·localphone.com
·voip.ms
·AT&T DSL Service
reply to batsona

Re: [Northeast] Any advantage using RJ port on ONT vs router in

Hmmm, didn't realize the video side made use of the router, thought that once the RJ45 port was activated the router would be disabled.

I don't have an STB, I use a cablecard in my Homerun Prime with DLNA, but perhaps the same applies.

At any rate, unless there is a definite advantage (there are no TV transmitters, but a boatload of other 2.4-band wireless signals, hence the N66 for the 5gHz band), I'd probably just stay with the Actiontech in bridge mode and leave it alone.

Thanks for the response.

--
---
U176

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9

said by dev_null:

I don't have an STB, I use a cablecard in my Homerun Prime with DLNA, but perhaps the same applies.

MoCA is not required for CableCard operation, so it sounds like you don't need the Actiontec at all. Switch your Asus router over to ethernet connection out of the ONT as primary router. Check out the FAQ for part 1 and part 2 starting here. »Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Replacing the Actiontec (part 1): Coax to Ethernet

Retain the Actiontec for troubleshooting network problems. It's been reported previously that VZ techs balk at working with non-VZ routers.