Search similar:

uniqs
Hahausuck
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

Hahausuck

Premium Member

Replacement bath sink

So the countertop guy is dropping the tops in as I type this. I have a new china sink (drop-in) and I'm looking to see what everyone thinks (especially the plumbers) as to the best way to seal around the outside edge. I'm planning on using some GE silicone under the rim to seal it down to the new top, but am unsure as to the best sealant to finish it. I was thinking last night of using some Loctite Polyseamseal that I have as one of the plumbers last year used that on the kitchen sink. I'm reading online that some plumbers don't like the product and feel it might deteriorate.

Is anyone using GE silicone for what I am trying to do?
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr

Premium Member

What kind of top ???

Tile --- grout
laminate --- colored caulk to match top or sink (Dap is what I use)
Stone -- have never used this, but again colored Dap to match top or sink

If you have an off the wall colored sink, usually the manufacturer has caulk to match the finish. I never use straight silicone as it is difficult to wipe down to a good looking bead.
Hahausuck
Premium Member

Hahausuck

Premium Member

Well I appreciate the feedback. I wound up using the GE Silicone II under the rim, dropped in the sink and sqished it down a bit. Cleaned off the stuff that pooped out with some paper towels and some mineral spirits. The silicone didn't create a whole bead around the rim (I wasn't expecting it to anyways) so tomorrow I'm going to go around the rim with some of the Polyseamseal and call it done. I bought one of them caulk tools to help smooth it down so it should make a nice edge I hope.

Last time we had the plumber out for sink work he showed me how to apply the Loctite stuff and use a wet sponge to get it just right.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d

Premium Member

If you feel you need a small bead around the rim of the sink, the poly isnt too bad, but you`ll be replacing it in about 2yrs.. Its latex based, and will eventually dry up and crack.

White silicone would last longer, but its harder to get a good finished bead with silicone.. takes finesse..

I would set a sink in clear silicone, and on a dark top, I use clear to smooth a light bead around the rim of the sink. If its a light top, then either tan or white silicone for a finish. Usually have to let it dry 12 hours, then clean off any thin wipe lines with yer fingernail.

good luck

-j
Hahausuck
Premium Member

Hahausuck

Premium Member

Thanks.

Yeah the GE stuff is clear under the rim.

Didn't know that about the poly seal. Good to know. I guess it's not very good for stuff then? I suppose I can return and get a tube of GE silicone in white (top is light) and try and get that done.