how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sm5w2
Premium
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON

Anyone have business internet with Rogers?

I currently have a paltry 6-meg DSL internet service at $dayjob with TekSavvy ($59/month + $4 for static IP). That is the best I can get (speed-wise) according to TS. TS apparently does not offer business cable internet.

The premises was served by Rogers internet as recently as 2005 - I have no idea what sort of product that would have been back then, or if the cable is still "live" when it comes to a data connection. If the line was still live, and if I took a working Rogers modem and connected it, would I get a functional internet connection? If so, then what would stop me from ordering residential cable internet from TS and connecting it to this line?

Alternatively, I see that Rogers has a promotion on for business internet. Up to 30 mb down, 7 mb up, no caps, for $65/month. I know some people around here with Rogers internet, and their IP hasn't changed for months if not years, so I'm wondering if I can get away with not paying extra for static IP if your IP is basically static anyways.

And does Rogers force you to rent the modem for business internet, or can you get them to drop that if you buy your own modem?

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4

There most likely will be a truck roll involved. Rogers typically disconnects the cable drop 30 days after an account has been cancelled.

Also static IP is only available on their "dedicated" tiers. It's not available as a paid add-on for any other package, so if that's important to you it may be a deal breaker. My residential IP address doesn't change for months, but I doubt you'd be able to last a year without getting a new IP address.

Lastly, business internet uses the same modems as residential so I don't see why you can't buy the modem if you wanted to, but I'm not absolutely certain on that one.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to sm5w2

I've had Rogers Business internet at work since 2005. Very few issues over the years. Now we are on a 60/10 package $85 with modem rental included.

And yeah, the IP rarely changes, I'm currently on the same IP for well over a year.
--

sm5w2
Premium
St Thomas, ON
reply to sm5w2

Can a Rogers or Tek-Savvy cable modem that has been registered for use at location A be moved and used at location B, assuming that the cable connection at location B has not been disconnected, and the geographic distance between location A and B is a mile or less?

To ask this another way, unlike the telephone system where each pair of copper wires terminates into its own line card at a CO, cable systems are distributed and act more like a party line. What is the typical physical / geographic granularity by which a cable operator can distinguish or know when a cable modem is operating in a premises other than what it's registered for?

Anzio

join:2008-11-22
Innisfil, ON

said by sm5w2:

Can a Rogers or Tek-Savvy cable modem that has been registered for use at location A be moved and used at location B, assuming that the cable connection at location B has not been disconnected, and the geographic distance between location A and B is a mile or less?

If I remember correctly, as long as it's within the Rogers network- it will work. I did take a Rogers modem from my house to my folks office to do some OS X updates that would've taken forever on their previous DSL connection and had no trouble.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to sm5w2

said by sm5w2:

To ask this another way, unlike the telephone system where each pair of copper wires terminates into its own line card at a CO, cable systems are distributed and act more like a party line. What is the typical physical / geographic granularity by which a cable operator can distinguish or know when a cable modem is operating in a premises other than what it's registered for?

Yes it can be.. However, wouldn't recommend this if you're using it for business, because if Rogers does an audit and cuts off the line, you'll be stuck without internet for days before you can get an installer out to install proper service.
--

sm5w2
Premium
St Thomas, ON
reply to sm5w2

If someone has an active, working and legit Rogers Cable-TV service (but not internet), and if internet service is ordered for that location (say, a third party internet service) and the modem is obtained/purchased through a retail outlet, and MAC address/serial number is provided such that Rogers enables everything on their end to allow the modem to function, is a site visit (ie - truck roll) or some other technical function still necessary to carry out at the location?

Epichappy

join:2012-05-14
Kitchener, ON

Nope... Just say you have the modem from future shop or best buy or whatever and they can set it up remotely... Make sure to insist that you have a cable already ready because if you split the line on your own they get angry.