spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

speed3

@comcast.net

1 edit

What router to get for 130Mbps WIRELESS?

Im using a single band ASUS RT-N16 and im currently get speeds around 60mbps on my DLs. If i connect directly to modem via ethernet i get 120-130mbps. Ive recently upgraded to the highest tier but would love it to be wireless. If anyone can shine some light on what router to buy, perferably available at a best buy since i can get asap would be great. I am using all wireless N, one is a Macbook pro the other is a gaming laptop. I also would LOVE to have Tomato or DD WRT as i have an DLNA and FTP server running off the router im using now. THanks a ton.

Mod Note: See also ---> »What router to buy to achieve 130mbps wireless download

NathanO

join:2008-08-21
Moorestown, NJ

1 recommendation

You'd likely need 3x3x3 MIMO 5GHz 802.11n to achieve that speed over wireless (on both Client and Router) or 802.11ac.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to speed3
Based on my experience, a router rated for at least 300 Mbps on either band should work. I use a Netgear WNDR-3700 v2 running DD-WRT and consistently get 150-185 Mbps on 5 GHz (2.4 is nearly useless in my area) via local file transfer. One rated for 450 Mbps on each band, or an 802.11ac router like NathanO See Profile mentioned would help ensure max speeds in less favorable conditions. Keep in mind that the wireless cards on the laptops will need to match the router's configuration for the best results (ex. 2x2 card for 300 Mbps, 3x3 for 450, ac card for ac router).
--
KI6RIT

amendolaro

join:2012-11-02
ok best buy does have the Netgear WNDR-3700 v2 - as far as 2x2 or 3x3 what do you mean? sorry

NathanO

Moorestown, NJ
Its the number of Antennas and wireless streams. Most routers will list it on the specs.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
reply to speed3
the rt-n66u would be perfect for this.

amendolaro

reply to speed3
so i picked up the RT-N65R from best buy. Im going to see how this runs. Dont think ill care for dd wrt or tomato due to the ftp and dlna support out of box. ill report once i install later tonight

amendolaro

reply to speed3
so speeds are awesome. im pulling 120-125mbps. but the asus firmware is sooo bad. ftp is very buggy and the BT download sucks. going to return and get the rt-n66u instead and flash dd wrt to it.

NathanO

Moorestown, NJ
The "Merlin" firmware build is pretty nice - there is also a pretty good build of Tomato. I haven't tried DD-WRT.

amendolaro

reply to speed3
i bought the wndr4300, was only getting 90mbps. Got the n66r, flashed tomato (thats what i meant earlier, not dd wrt) and this is amazing. what a beast. Got my FTP working, DLNA, and now have bittorrent transmission as a plus! Also scored a 1tb external WD from office max for $24 today on clearance so im xfering everything over now. thanks so much guys.

vandergraff2

join:2005-10-17
Los Gatos, CA
reply to speed3
Here is good summary of measured performance of various routers

»www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/r···-charts/

If you look at the 5GHz Downlink Benchmark there are a few routers that would meet the 130 Mbps requirement - certainly the clients would also need to support similar technology

»www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/r···ghz-dn-c