kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

4 edits

1 recommendation

TWC to drop local channels, CBS and affiliates

Looks like TWC wants to drop CBS and affiliates
because of retasmission fees
CBS is trying to look like the victim in this case.

link
»tokeepus.com/

»www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl···W9Q#t=9s

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:14

Re: [TWC] TWC to drop local channels in Los angeles

Links?

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

said by DrDrew:

Links?

there was a broadcast on tv I have it on my DVR
--
Live Free or Die Hard...

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium

1 edit

»tokeepus.com/

maybe dropped by july 24th

personally I rather just get a DTV box and save $5 bux a month

Satch

join:2009-11-25

Here's a link:

»www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/c···t-588595

Satch

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal
reply to Anonymous_

Standard rebroadcast dispute... CBS wants more money for something they broadcast OTA for free. CBS threatens to pull signal if TWC doesn't agree.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
reply to Anonymous_

Re: TWC to drop local channels, CBS and affiliates

Showtime I'd miss a little bit. CBS not so much.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by Stacy:

Showtime I'd miss a little bit. CBS not so much.

called TWC CBS & showtime is safe.
It's the CBS affiliates that are trying to cash in

ie kcal9 and other "CBS affiliates across the country"

--
Live Free or Die Hard...

PamelaTS

join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless
·Clear Wireless

2 recommendations

reply to Anonymous_

Time Warner Cable May Drop CBS From Its TV Lineup

Don't be left stranded without your favorite programming! Time Warner Cable has not renewed its contract to provide you with all your favorite CBS shows. Don't be the only one who can't see NCIS, The Big Bang Theory, 2 Broke Girls, The NFL on CBS, The PGA Tour, SEC Football, NCIS: Los Angeles, Person of Interest, Elementary, Hawaii Five-0, The Mentalist, The Good Wife and the final season of How I Met Your Mother.

»www.keepcbs.com/

I received the following during my local 10pm news broadcast; which btw I already get via OTA. OTA I still have a couple of channels the signal isn't great and I need cable for (I can get a VHF antenna for those couple though.

Hey TWC if you drop CBS; I'll drop you as my TV provider! I have TiVo's with OTA capability; yup this is why I went with the Premiere and not a cable only model. I will pull the cable cards and tuning adapters in a heartbeat as they have been very troublesome anyhow. I already have an OTA antenna for the locals already because of your frequent drop out's.

While DirecTV who I had a 14 year history and loved had a problem when I moved here hitting the satellite from my balcony they have a new bracket now that might work under the eve of the roofline. if the Slimline dish just can't work on my balcony I'll switch back to SD satellite service and keep my TiVo's for OTA and online viewing.

DROP CBS or any other local or raise the monthly and I'll drop you like a hot potato!

--
---- Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
---- Albert Einstein

--
TWC [20/2] / Motorola SB6141 / ASUS RT-AC66R (fw 3.0.0.4.354) / DAP-1522 (a1) fw 1.40 {1 @ 5ghz bridge mode; 2nd semi-retired}

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

1 recommendation

reply to Anonymous_

Isn't this all on Hulu Plus anyway? The only downside is TWC probably won't drop their rates due to fewer programs.
More likely they'll pay agree to the terms at the last moment and raise our rates.

Satch

Here is a link from TWC that shows the local CBS stations and cities that are threatened by a blackout. I ASSUME this list is complete. It appears Premium Channel Showtime is safe. My area of Milwaukee Wisconsin with CBS I also think is safe. We have a TWC dispute going on with our NBC affiliate channel 4 in Milwaukee. This station is owned by Journal Broadcasting and is a national dispute. They want at least a 200% rate hike.

The link below is for the cities affected by the TWC/CBS dispute:

»twcconversations.com/dispute/cbs/

Satch

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3

said by Satch:

Here is a link from TWC that shows the local CBS stations and cities that are threatened by a blackout. I ASSUME this list is complete. It appears Premium Channel Showtime is safe. My area of Milwaukee Wisconsin with CBS I also think is safe. We have a TWC dispute going on with our NBC affiliate channel 4 in Milwaukee. This station is owned by Journal Broadcasting and is a national dispute. They want at least a 200% rate hike.

Satch

said by Satch:

Satch

I think Showtime is not safe as CBS is running ads that showtime will be yanked as well in the Dallas market so no they are not safe.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium

loss is null since you can just use your ATSC tunner to get CBS
--
Live Free or Die Hard...

videonex

join:2001-07-22

1 recommendation

reply to Anonymous_

Here we go again. CBS needs TWC MUCH MUCH MORE than TWC needs CBS. TWC provides eyeballs for CBS programming. Eyeballs for CBS programming equals more advertising revenue for CBS. Remember, it is CBS that is taking themselves off TWC if it happens. CBS will lose more money because of the fewer eyeballs than they would gain from the increased retrans fees. CBS will learn the hard way like so many before them have learned. TWC should stand their ground as they have many times in the past. CBS will come crawling back and practically give the stations back to get that ad revenue back. There will be customers jumping ship for Dish or D* but TWC's net loss will be far less than CBS'.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:8

1 recommendation

reply to PamelaTS

said by PamelaTS:

DROP CBS or any other local or raise the monthly and I'll drop you like a hot potato!

Wait, what? How does that work? "Yes pay them a ton more money but don't charge me any more!" You can't have it both ways. CBS is the one dropping TWC unless TWC ponies up more cash. Said cash has got to come from somewhere.

/M

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO

1 recommendation

reply to videonex

Here we go again. CBS needs TWC MUCH MUCH MORE than TWC needs CBS.

Sort of. Here's the top 10 list of what people in America watch. Granted you (and I suspect most other self-respecting geeks that frequent this sort of site) might think it's all crap, but the point is to look at this from a statistical perspective:

»www.nielsen.com/us/en/top10s.html

Notice all that CBS? People pay a lot of money to TWC to make their TV watching experience convenient. If the shows that the majority of people find popular suddenly go off the air, many people will be very dissatisfied with TWC.

loss is null since you can just use your ATSC tunner to get CBS

Can a TWC customer put up an antenna and get CBS? Maybe. I can't. If they use a TWC-provided DVR, it is certainly not going to record shows from it.

All this said, I don't think TWC should have to pay a dime for programming that's broadcast over the public airwaves for free. But there's a lot at stake for both sides.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium

main issue is CBS wanting more for very specific areas.
--
Live Free or Die Hard...

videonex

reply to djrobx

said by djrobx:

Here we go again. CBS needs TWC MUCH MUCH MORE than TWC needs CBS.

Sort of. Here's the top 10 list of what people in America watch. Granted you (and I suspect most other self-respecting geeks that frequent this sort of site) might think it's all crap, but the point is to look at this from a statistical perspective:

»www.nielsen.com/us/en/top10s.html

Notice all that CBS? People pay a lot of money to TWC to make their TV watching experience convenient. If the shows that the majority of people find popular suddenly go off the air, many people will be very dissatisfied with TWC.

The number of TWC customers changing providers will be minimal. History has shown that the broadcaster will come to their senses before the affected customers will pull the trigger and call the competition. CBS was well known when re-trans became law as a company that tried to extort the cable companies for much more because they felt the cable companies would blink first, and back then some did. The cable and satellite folks have become much more savvy since and they stay put. The programming is withheld by the broadcaster and the threats by cable customers to switch providers come in without much action right away. The advertising community becomes aware of the reduction in viewers and either pulls their ads or forces the broadcaster to take a lower rate. Broadcaster's bean counters soon figure out the situation and the broadcaster goes to cable/satellite company with tail between their legs and situation is resolved. It's been 27 years since this system was put in place. I was there at the beginning and have seen it from many vantage points. It always ends the same way.

PamelaTS

Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless
·Clear Wireless
reply to djrobx

I use a TiVo that indeed has atsc tuner. I do get the channel ota as most, not all of the locals.

Many of you are presuming that the despite its cbs affiliates demanding more money. When in fact it could well be twc demanding more injection commercial time for themselves. Watching ota satellite and cable I've witnessed that twc and yes directv inject their own commercials. The station has a right to profit from their broadcast and twc is demanding more taking from the channels profit margin.

Many of you arguing on twc side are rather short sighted and eager to point the finger of blame at the affiliate.
--
---- Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
---- Albert Einstein

--
TWC [20/2] / Motorola SB6141 / ASUS RT-AC66R (fw 3.0.0.4.354) / DAP-1522 (a1) fw 1.40 {1 @ 5ghz bridge mode; 2nd semi-retired}

PamelaTS

Dallas, TX

Btw I am not employed by or any affiliate of CBS.
How many of you arguing against CBS are employed by TWC?

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal
reply to PamelaTS

In SoCal TWC isn't allowed to inject commercials on any of the OTA based channels, like CBS.

videonex

said by DrDrew:

In SoCal TWC isn't allowed to inject commercials on any of the OTA based channels, like CBS.

Make that in the whole good old U.S.A. Can't do anything to alter the local's programming, PERIOD!

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to PamelaTS

said by PamelaTS:

I use a TiVo that indeed has atsc tuner. I do get the channel ota as most, not all of the locals.

Many of you are presuming that the despite its cbs affiliates demanding more money. When in fact it could well be twc demanding more injection commercial time for themselves. Watching ota satellite and cable I've witnessed that twc and yes directv inject their own commercials. The station has a right to profit from their broadcast and twc is demanding more taking from the channels profit margin.

Many of you arguing on twc side are rather short sighted and eager to point the finger of blame at the affiliate.

yes but CBS wants a lot more 600% from CBS owned markets
--
Live Free or Die Hard...

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to DrDrew

Re: [TWC] TWC to drop local channels in Los angeles

Everywhere! »news.google.com/news?ncl=dX0UUfs···sh&hl=en

I even saw it on KCBS2 earlier today. »keepcbs.com/ was mentioned.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by antdude:

Everywhere! »news.google.com/news?ncl=dX0UUfs···sh&hl=en

I even saw it on KCBS2 earlier today.

looks like they mention showtime as well movie channel suck anyway since all they do is repeat the same 4 or 5 movies every day
--
Live Free or Die Hard...

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to Anonymous_

Re: TWC to drop local channels, CBS and affiliates

Drop CBS I dont mind.

Satch

According to TWC Untangled. CBS would go dark in selected cities in which it is nationally owned. Local CBS affiliates would NOT be affected. However, it looks like Showtime/TMC, which are nationally owned by CBS would also be blacked out: (If an agreement is not reached.)

»www.twcableuntangled.com/2013/07···nt-more/

Satch

motorola870

Arlington, TX

said by Satch:

According to TWC Untangled. CBS would go dark in selected cities in which it is nationally owned. Local CBS affiliates would NOT be affected. However, it looks like Showtime/TMC, which are nationally owned by CBS would also be blacked out: (If an agreement is not reached.)

»www.twcableuntangled.com/2013/07···nt-more/

Satch

Also out the door is:
Smithsonian HD
Smithsonian HD VOD
CBS Sports net SD/HD
Possibly TVGN?

AnClar
Premium
join:2003-07-31
Belton, TX
reply to Anonymous_

Here is how some of us users get bent over once again...I live outside the range of the Dallas/Ft. Worth OTA signal...the local CBS independent affiliate in Dallas is KTXA-21. KTXA carries the Texas Rangers game every Friday night, and gets the other ones that Fox-SW or Fox national doesn't. I get the KTXA feed here locally via TWC. If they shut down KTXA, I lose the Ranger games. I loathe this BS between the cable operators and the networks. Aereo anyone??
--
When in danger or in doubt run in circles, scream and shout!

motorola870

Arlington, TX

you won't lose KTXA baseball games as one of your local affiliates rebroadcast it over the statewide network that shows the friday night game so no you won't lose them only DFW area viewers who directly lose KTXA.

»texas.rangers.mlb.com/tex/schedu···ates.jsp

yep you get the games via KCEN 3.2 so no you won't lose them unless CBS tries to pull a fast one.