DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

DocDrew to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
Standard rebroadcast dispute... CBS wants more money for something they broadcast OTA for free. CBS threatens to pull signal if TWC doesn't agree.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

1 edit

antdude to DocDrew

Premium Member

to DocDrew
Everywhere! »news.google.com/news?ncl ··· sh&hl=en

I even saw it on KCBS2 earlier today. »keepcbs.com/ was mentioned.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_

Premium Member

said by antdude:

I even saw it on KCBS2 earlier today.

looks like they mention showtime as well movie channel suck anyway since all they do is repeat the same 4 or 5 movies every day
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
said by antdude:

The dispute is only in certain markets. Not everywhere. I mean, gee, Oceanic TWC SPONSORS the 6PM and 10PM news on the local CBS affiliate here (that news is simulcast on the NBC affiliate here and another station). Besides, drop Hawaii 5'0 and Oceanic TWC would have a major riot on its hands.

I watch only network TV. I think most cable channels are awful. We went through this same crap this time last year with Hearst and ABC here. Hearst took it off the air for two - three weeks. It is awful putting the customer in the middle of these disputes. No one on the East side of the Big Island can get OTA and my building cannot use satellite unless there was a dish on the roof for the entire building and the contract with TWC was cancelled.

These sorts of disputes need federal regulation so the customer is not at the whim and mercy of either the cable company or the broadcast networks or the owner of a bunch of stations like Hearst (and the ABC dispute last summer - ABC for us in Hawaii but Hearst owns a lot of NBC stations also on the Mainland).

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by Mele20:

said by antdude:

The dispute is only in certain markets. Not everywhere. I mean, gee, Oceanic TWC SPONSORS the 6PM and 10PM news on the local CBS affiliate here (that news is simulcast on the NBC affiliate here and another station). Besides, drop Hawaii 5'0 and Oceanic TWC would have a major riot on its hands.

I watch only network TV. I think most cable channels are awful. We went through this same crap this time last year with Hearst and ABC here. Hearst took it off the air for two - three weeks. It is awful putting the customer in the middle of these disputes. No one on the East side of the Big Island can get OTA and my building cannot use satellite unless there was a dish on the roof for the entire building and the contract with TWC was cancelled.

These sorts of disputes need federal regulation so the customer is not at the whim and mercy of either the cable company or the broadcast networks or the owner of a bunch of stations like Hearst (and the ABC dispute last summer - ABC for us in Hawaii but Hearst owns a lot of NBC stations also on the Mainland).

actually the blackout is nationwide as it would take all CBS cable properties off air in all TWC markets so no more CBS College Sports, Showtime, Flix, Smithsonian HD

davidpsr
@insightbb.com

davidpsr

Anon

You CAN receive local channels with only a rabbit ears (or so-called 'digital') antenna hooked up to your TV. Of course, you have to change channels on the TV instead of the cable box, but if you use the TV's remote, it's no problem whatsoever and you can switch back to the cable box with a touch of the remote. And YES, local channels ARE available OTA in HD. Sidebands also provide network affiliate stations to provide more content than just the main channel (thus, for example, the Channel 32.1 designation).
Satch
join:2009-11-25

Satch to motorola870

to motorola870
said by motorola870:

said by Mele20:

said by antdude:

actually the blackout is nationwide as it would take all CBS cable properties off air in all TWC markets so no more CBS College Sports, Showtime, Flix, Smithsonian HD

Talks have been extended to July 25, 2013 at 9am, because that is when Ratings Sweeps ends:

»www.bloomberg.com/news/2 ··· eal.html

Satch

Suit Up
join:2003-07-21
Los Angeles, CA
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
TP-Link Archer C7

1 recommendation

Suit Up to davidpsr

to davidpsr
said by davidpsr :

You CAN receive local channels with only a rabbit ears (or so-called 'digital') antenna hooked up to your TV.

No, I CAN not. Same for many other people. Not everyone lives in flat terrain and/or within 50 miles of a transmitter.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to motorola870

Premium Member

to motorola870
No, the dispute is with CBS NOT affiliate stations. The DIRECTLY OWNED CBS stations are the ones that CBS will pull off not affliate stations. Hawaii has no directly owned by CBS station.

I care nothing about any channels other than HD broadcast ones that I watch via TWC Clear qam.
Mele20

Mele20 to davidpsr

Premium Member

to davidpsr
said by davidpsr :

You CAN receive local channels with only a rabbit ears (or so-called 'digital') antenna hooked up to your TV. Of course, you have to change channels on the TV instead of the cable box, but if you use the TV's remote, it's no problem whatsoever and you can switch back to the cable box with a touch of the remote. And YES, local channels ARE available OTA in HD. Sidebands also provide network affiliate stations to provide more content than just the main channel (thus, for example, the Channel 32.1 designation).

No one on the East side of the Big Island can nor can most in urban Oahu. The volcanoes are in the way of a signal from Oahu. The local Hilo KGMB (CBS affiliate) transmitter is extremely weak so the signal is pulled via the Maui much more powerful transmitter atop Haleakala and/or KGMB uses the KHNL (NBC) transmitter in Hilo (a lot of convoluted "incest" among the TV stations in this state. I have never seen any home with an antenna on the roof since we got cable here in 1975 (I think cable was introduced in Hawaii before most anywhere on the Mainland).

I have no cable box. My building has a bulk analog agreement with Oceanic TWC since 1975 (back then it was a local cable company - TWC did not enter the picture for many years). I get OTA channels in HD via Oceanic clear qam.

As for urban Oahu most apt/condos cannot get OTA because of all the high rises impeding signal transmission. Almost all residences in the state have Oceanic TWC.

I could not get any OTC channels anyway because I live in a condo (just as a I cannot get satellite as I have no Southern facing window). These sorts of disputes are particularly vicious to people a state like Hawaii.