spc
Search similar:

uniqs
GeorgeBurger
join:2011-12-30

GeorgeBurger to HenryA

to HenryA

Re: VMedia - Real-World experiences?

HenryA if I have to choose between judgments of VMedia's services from our customers, I would prefer adverse judgments of our internet, because while the buck stops with us, for the moment we have relatively little control over our Rogers-originated service. We have explained the reasons before, but to our dismay they have not been resolved yet. Either way it is our responsibility.

But the VBox, which is really what we are all about, our differentiator, our contribution to this landscape, is a terrific piece of engineering, and our hearts sink whenever there is disappointment. The fact is that 90% of the time, the issues with the VBox stem from the quality of the internet service to the home, or the delivery of that service within the home through various hardware platforms. So I am relieved that you have concluded the issue is your speed, because the VBox is not like any unit you've ever had before, and it is continually getting better. But I am very sorry for the quality of your, and others who have commented on it, internet service.

This is an issue of burning urgency for us, and I could be using that as an excuse for virtually all the comments we have been receiving in the last 4 weeks, but we were hoping it would be alleviated shortly. But now, we are turning all of our focus on either ensuring that this problem will be resolved sooner rather than later, and developing a policy going forward to respond to the situation. Please bear with us, we hope to have our stuff together in the next several days.

BTC Kevin
join:2011-10-01
Nepean, ON

2 edits

BTC Kevin

Wonder how much of the issues is from the fact that Rogers has been deep in the heat of re-organizing the network topology with all the Aggregated transitions for Indi ISP's. This last week, IPTV and Internet has been usable for only about 50% of the time. Before this week, my speed and reliability has been excellent.

MJB33
join:2012-01-29

MJB33 to LazMan

to LazMan
George... Fucking Deal with Rogers These SOB's For Lack of Flipping POI upgrades... more 10Gbit Links.... Canada Internet FUCKING SUCKS ASS...

BTC Kevin
Nepean, ON

BTC Kevin to LazMan

to LazMan
Well looks like my Bandwidth has decided to creep up to a 6mbps limit now. Well atleast that is a 'usable' speed, much better then 1-3mbps.

edit: spoke to soon back down to 2mbps.

FlashDemon
@209.141.166.x

FlashDemon to MJB33

Anon

to MJB33
Easy there Kemo Sabe. It is not the end of the world but I sure hope the internet speed gets better soon.

BTC Kevin
Nepean, ON

BTC Kevin to LazMan

to LazMan
One interesting thing I've found since switching to Vmedia, my IP address appears static. This is the first time, I've ever had an IP address that doesn't constantly change when on Cable. Been the same IP since I activated services. +1 for that.

Speed Demon
@209.141.166.x

Speed Demon to MJB33

Anon

to MJB33
Wow...a whole 2 Mbps? Let go out in the streets and celebrate! I am getting about 3 Mbps.

Flavour
@209.141.173.x

Flavour to LazMan

Anon

to LazMan
I'm currently downloading between 100 and 200 kb/s, netflix is unwatchable ect. This isn't the first time I've had issues either. Sorry to say I was with Rogers for years and never had issues like this, other than when they were limiting bittorrent traffic. I hope you can fix things soon because I don't have patience when it comes to my internet, I need it for work as well as entertainment.

Speed Demon
@209.141.166.x

Speed Demon

Anon

I keep reading about bad speeds with CIKTel. I had someone run a sppedtest on Rogers out in Vaughan and it was quite acceptable. CIKTel is the only one having issues?

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck to BTC Kevin

to BTC Kevin
said by BTC Kevin:

Well looks like my Bandwidth has decided to creep up to a 6mbps limit now. Well atleast that is a 'usable' speed, much better then 1-3mbps.

edit: spoke to soon back down to 2mbps.

so i'm curious if this is a node issue or the Ciktel congestion we've all heard about.

MJB33

MJB33

Vmedia - > CikTel - > ROGERS!!!
black_escape
join:2013-07-08

black_escape to LazMan

to LazMan
I also have 45mb down and IPTV with vmedia got it on July 2, for the most part it was okay, at first speeds were around 45mb and then two weeks later I got the service the speeds will drop during peak hours to about 2-5mb. Did a service call to them and apparently they told me it was an issue with rogers, few days later no phone call back and the speeds were back up to 45-60mb. Tonight I cant even watch IPTV as my speeds is less then 2mb, George are you saying you guys are experiencing issues with rogers in-regards to speeds? Anybody else is getting crappy speed located in Ottawa (Gloucester)

Speed Demon
@209.141.166.x

Speed Demon to MJB33

Anon

to MJB33
Rogers is giving good speeds to their customers...guaranteed!
Squidge
join:2007-09-17

Squidge to LazMan

to LazMan
I've had VMedia internet since the 13th of July and speeds have been terrific until tonight. I'm in Cambridge I can barely get 3mbps download and I'm on their 25/2 plan. I hope this is just a temporary issue. George?

BTC Kevin
Nepean, ON

BTC Kevin to LazMan

to LazMan
lol, must be a bottle neck in capacity, as I just got speed back. and when I speed tested, I got 150mbps speedboost, followed by 33mbps downloading.

MJB33

MJB33

aggregated poi suck.... we now share capacity with rogers ... same is with ciktel, teksavvy, start, distributel, acanac

BTC Kevin
Nepean, ON

BTC Kevin

ya and Rogers probably QOS prioritizes it's own customers.

And also it doesn't really take to many of these 150mbps users to max out the channels either.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
Ottawa, ON

jmck to MJB33

to MJB33
said by MJB33:

aggregated poi suck.... we now share capacity with rogers ... same is with ciktel, teksavvy, start, distributel, acanac

no, that's not how it works. Rogers has no capacity issues at peak, neither do the TPIAs that are aggregated. The issue with Ciktel has been that they don't have enough capacity purchased from Rogers or possibly bad load balancing happening on their end that is causing this.

TPIAs are required to purchase/lease capacity from Rogers currently as 1GE or 10GE links and it's up to them to get enough links/capacity to cover all their users at peak. Considering VMedia is the only provider offering dirt-cheap unlimited usage especially with 150/10 it shouldn't be too surprising.

Start and TSI users on aggregated aren't seeing congestion tonight.

However it's impossible to really know if it's one of their links that went down or it's load balancing, but I just wanted to point out that it's not affecting other TPIAs tonight or whatever.
jmck

jmck to BTC Kevin

to BTC Kevin
said by BTC Kevin:

ya and Rogers probably QOS prioritizes it's own customers.

And also it doesn't really take to many of these 150mbps users to max out the channels either.

no, they don't QoS or prioritize their customers, it's a Ciktel issue if there's some saturation (unless it's your node which doesn't seem likely since others are complaining from Ciktel).

MJB33

MJB33 to LazMan

to LazMan
...... i get the 10 gbit links and 1 gbit links... take the speed that rogers uses - 150 for example plus teksavvy or vmedia ( 150 or 45 ) = so total speed used on that fiber link is 195 - 300 mbits .... we are sharing the network with rogers and their customers

HenryA
join:2011-05-28

HenryA to LazMan

to LazMan

6 am

Glad it's back. I lost IP last night at one point, so I had no phone, television or internet (all IP based). And a wife that's ready to kill me
black_escape
join:2013-07-08

2 edits

black_escape to LazMan

to LazMan
It seems to happen during peak hours where the slowness happens, I never have any issues during the day but however most people are working during the day so when I come home that is when I expect my services to work especially is we are all paying for the speed. Vmedia can not provided a service that doesn't work especially IPTV that heavily relies on their internet to work. I couldn't even watch tv yesterday and vmedia should address the issue, I agree in-regards to Ciktel that they dont have enough capacity for all of their customers. At first I was with rogers and then Distributel and I never had any issues with my speeds at all.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
Ottawa, ON

jmck to LazMan

to LazMan
just so you guys know, peak time is roughly 5pm to 1am. so i would be skeptical and refrain from saying it's "fixed" or "back to normal" since it sounds like it start being faster at around 2am.

BTC Kevin
Nepean, ON

BTC Kevin

8pm-5am seems to be my 'trouble' time frame. sometimes 7pm-6am.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
Ottawa, ON

jmck

said by BTC Kevin:

8pm-5am seems to be my 'trouble' time frame. sometimes 7pm-6am.

sounds like a huge capacity deficit which would likely mean one or multiple links to Rogers are down.
Garneac
join:2011-05-01
Brampton, ON

Garneac to BTC Kevin

to BTC Kevin
Wait, what?

That's kind of a huge time slot.

Can anyone else with VMedia at the moment please say otherwise? My fam's set to go live on the 30th, and I can imagine the sort of reception I'll get from my siblings and folks if phone, TV and internet perform so poorly (or are entirely unusable) at a time when we're all at home.

Also, George, I was told that Brampton would have the new speeds (45 down) in either the first or second week of July. Is it safe to say that's the case now?

EDIT: It's weird, though, because I'd just assumed that since my speed with Rogers' 25 down was fine, then there'd be no problem with VMedia, since they're using Roger's lines. Welp. (Still holding out hope.)
GeorgeBurger

GeorgeBurger

Garneac, don't lose hope. We have been advised at a couple of levels that these issues-the general upgrade complications and delays, and the capacity mismatch on the swap-are on the verge of being resolved. If I sound less that ecstatic, it is only because a lot of things were supposed to happen over the recent 2 months that didn't. You may recall when we first were alerted to the upgrade issues-some areas being slower than others of be converted, and not even knowing in advance which ones-we thought things would be put to bed by the beginning of June. I will not infer any motives, just genuine complications in executing complex tasks. That makes it no easier for our customers, nor for us, watching so much effort and hard work being undermined. We'll see, in your case there is a week to go, though that is little consolation for our existing customers. But it will be resolved, that is for sure.

HenryA
join:2011-05-28

HenryA to LazMan

to LazMan
Ok, about 13 hours later

Much, much better then last night. If it's a problem with aggregated POI with Rogers, then Rogers needs to be hauled in front of the CRTC and made to explain why they're shorting the ability of TPIA stability and reliabilty to a customer base. Essentially they're making sure of failure. If that's the case, and that isn't legal, it's monopolizing the system to make sure they stay ahead of everyone else.

Fast Furious
@209.141.166.x

Fast Furious

Anon

Yes the speed is still not that great. Vmedia subscriber so CIKTel is the one we use. I am getting a speed of 10.47 Mbps/3.95 Mbps and this is on a 45 Mbps/4 Mbps plan. Why pay so much if I don't get the faster speed?!
GeorgeBurger

GeorgeBurger

Fast Furious please get in touch with us, the issues are starting to lift we want to help. PM me your details, and give us a screenshot of your speeds if you get a chance.