spc
Search similar:

uniqs
vibescdn
join:2004-06-19

vibescdn to LazMan

to LazMan

Re: VMedia - Real-World experiences?

I'm in Ottawa and with Rogers. I feel ripped off..

I am considering vmedia however I have few questions.

1. Does the TV channels have Closed Captioning?

2. I see that the "Space" channel is available in premium package, however not available in the Uchoose package. Why is that so?

Does that means the Uchoose package does not include all available channels to choose from?

3. Does Vbox allows VPN or DNS Proxy?

4. Ability to install Hulu app?

Thanks.
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

1 edit

koreyb

said by vibescdn:

I'm in Ottawa and with Rogers. I feel ripped off..

I am considering vmedia however I have few questions.

1. Does the TV channels have Closed Captioning?

2. I see that the "Space" channel is available in premium package, however not available in the Uchoose package. Why is that so?

Does that means the Uchoose package does not include all available channels to choose from?

3. Does Vbox allows VPN or DNS Proxy?

4. Ability to install Hulu app?

Thanks.

1. If the broadcaster has it encoded then yes.

2. Because under the current rules, (which may change) the broadcaster (Bell Media) has demanded it to be packaged with other channels they own. It's either agree, or you don't get the channel. Some channels are also required to be offered in a package due to their licence. It also may be financially impossible based on what the channel provider wants for them to offer the channel on it's own. The CRTC may change the rules on this ending this type of packaging, as vmedia is very likely to allow every channel they can offer on it's own once this happens based on what has been said.
You can always get basic and add the theme pack with space if you don't want all the other channels just to add space... May save you 5-10 bucks.

3. I doubt it due to how they require to keep IPTV within their own network (thanks CRTC)... But it may... I will allow others to answer this one.

4. I can't see why not if it's available on the play store or you have the APK. It's android based.
vibescdn
join:2004-06-19

vibescdn

said by koreyb:

Where did you get that information?

I called the customer service "Maria" who demonstrated lack of knowledge - took her forever to reply while I found this site which is not visible on vmedia website but visible via google:
»www.vmedia.ca/support/po ··· ess.aspx

This states that CC is NOT YET available.

I need the ability to use VPN or DNS proxy to be able to use Hulu. Does the web browser have settings for DNS proxy?

Thank you for your help
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato

said by vibescdn:

said by koreyb:

Where did you get that information?

I called the customer service "Maria" who demonstrated lack of knowledge - took her forever to reply while I found this site which is not visible on vmedia website but visible via google:
»www.vmedia.ca/support/po ··· ess.aspx

This states that CC is NOT YET available.

I need the ability to use VPN or DNS proxy to be able to use Hulu. Does the web browser have settings for DNS proxy?

Thank you for your help

IF your not using the Android Hulu App they include they u could likely put HOLA on the chrome browser and use that to access it though I have not tried extensions on Android Chrome yet myself.
koreyb
Etobicoke, ON

2 edits

koreyb to vibescdn

to vibescdn
I work for a major broadcaster and that is how CC works.. IT's encoded within the feed from the channel. IF your tv can show it, it will work. Vmedia is not going to strip this from the feed at least not on purpose. CC may not be on the box itself which is what their notice may be referring to, but it should work unless somehow Vmedia is stripping it off due to some whacked out compression. Can someone who's tv will show Closed Captioning please test this and verify that CC shows up? If not, I stand corrected, which means it's being stripped off the channel feed.. but I doubt this is the case. I think they mean it's simply not offered on the VBOX. Then again.. Weirder things have happened.

file
join:2011-03-29
Riverview, NB

file

As VMedia is re-encoding their streams it is indeed possible they aren't copying the CC stream into the resulting stream as well.

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra

Whelp, sorry George, I hit another CC in Toronto today, downtown, there was no demo again. We're moving on.

Maybe once the service can be demo'ed live, I'll consider it again, but not now.
koreyb
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb to file

to file
said by file:

As VMedia is re-encoding their streams it is indeed possible they aren't copying the CC stream into the resulting stream as well.

Never argued that this couldn't be the case.. I have not yet moved over to Vmedia, and are unable to test for my own viewing, but all cable/dish companies re-encode/re compress/change the feed they are supplied and Vmedia would be one of the first I've seen where CC was stripped out. With someone who uses Vmedia currently for TV simply has to turn on the CC on their TV (not the VBOX) and tune to a major broadcaster. IF CC shows up, that's your answer..
koreyb

koreyb to Nitra

to Nitra
said by Nitra:

Whelp, sorry George, I hit another CC in Toronto today, downtown, there was no demo again. We're moving on.

Maybe once the service can be demo'ed live, I'll consider it again, but not now.

The Canada Computers on Kennedy Road has a demo and it works well. (accept CNN) which is just awful. I have voiced my concern about it a while back.

Undead100
join:2014-03-14

Undead100

Does VMedia charge anything for upgrading/downgrading packages?

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra

said by Undead100:

Does VMedia charge anything for upgrading/downgrading packages?

How many posts are you going to make for the same question?

Undead100

Undead100

Good you answered back. Is there a charge for switching between packages and does a tech need to show. My understanding is that this could be done with a firmware update almost instantly. I need to know since it would cause problems not knowing this info. Hidden fees make me frustrated.

If it does cost money transfer between packages, please feel free to answer my question?

So I can pass it on to my father who pays the bills for the service. That would save him time.

rednekcowboy
join:2012-03-21

rednekcowboy

said by Undead100:

Good you answered back. Is there a charge for switching between packages and does a tech need to show. My understanding is that this could be done with a firmware update almost instantly. I need to know since it would cause problems not knowing this info. Hidden fees make me frustrated.

Why wouldn't you just go to the vmedia forums? Pick up the phone and call them? I think they even have a chat option on their website.....

Undead100

Undead100

I am going to do that once it is open at 10 am. I wish it was 24/7 and all the required info was on the site...
BoogaBooga
join:2004-06-12
Canada

BoogaBooga

Yes
They do.

Undead100

Undead100

What is the charge. I'm on the 45/4 mbit package using rogers infrastructure and switching down to 25/2
BoogaBooga
Canada

BoogaBooga

I have no idea for cable, when I upped my DSL package it was $50-60

Undead100

Undead100

i'll better call that number right away... i don't think it would be smart to downgrade and get charged. lol. besides i wish fttn dsl was in my area
Trentelshark
join:2002-12-11
London, ON

Trentelshark

Double-check with their chat support but I'm pretty sure Rogers charges about the same as what Bell does for a profile change. So what BoogaBooba said should be about right but best to check with them.

Undead100

Undead100

Thanks... i'll bet that this will not be worth the effort if this is the case.
Garneac
join:2011-05-01
Brampton, ON

3 edits

Garneac

Is anyone else having difficulties trying to watch a Youtube video, or even perform a Google search?

Speedtest shows 44 down/4 up. I'd read that there was something up with Rogers. Is that still going on, or is there something I can do on my end to fix this?

EDIT: Well, I guess Speedtest wasn't lying, because I just started a download and the speed isn't affected. Is this only a Google thing, then? Or am I missing something here?

EDIT: And everything seems to be okay again. Weird. Oh well, so long as everything's fine, I'm good!

HenryA
join:2011-05-28

HenryA

Same problem. I thought it was openDNS having a problem. I changed it to the default DNS for ciktel, didn't help. Same speeds as you, just stalled on certain sites.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to LazMan

Premium Member

to LazMan
It was bad, I couldn't pickup email (even Gmail) my phone (using wifi) was slower then Wind 3g

bfksc
Unlimited on Vmedia
join:2011-11-22
canada

bfksc

I'm on Distributel and I had some slowness the last couple of days. Seemed like DNS issues at first, but I think it was an issue with Rogers. Seems ok today.
Trentelshark
join:2002-12-11
London, ON

Trentelshark to HenryA

to HenryA
The issue last night was the HE issue which affected numerous ISPs.
arahman56
join:2011-08-11
Etobicoke, ON

arahman56 to LazMan

to LazMan
Can anyone say how reliable VMedia is in Etobicoke?
Garneac
join:2011-05-01
Brampton, ON

Garneac

George, are you planning on adding higher speed packages for cable at some point in the future?

Also, I know that for Teksavvy, some customers set their downloads to happen during the night, as this helps offset Teksavvy's load (or something; truthfully, I didn't read over the thread in question all too carefully...). Is that something that could help you guys in any way? I can set a scheduler to run in the wee hours if that's the case.

Anywho. It's impressive, seeing all the other stuff VMedia is pushing forward. I'm only signed up for the internet, however, but love what it's offered me so far. You have my thanks.
BoogaBooga
Canada

1 recommendation

BoogaBooga

VMedia's usage patterns are different than TSI and the rest. Because their TV service is on top of the internet, all that TV viewing must count towards the internet usage. This means that most of the usage is during prime time and it would be impossible to shift that usage later in the night.

I am not sure what percentage of their customers are Internet only vs. internet+TV, but they don't have as much freedom as the other indie ISPs to shift usage patterns.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to Trentelshark

to Trentelshark
said by Trentelshark:

Double-check with their chat support but I'm pretty sure Rogers charges about the same as what Bell does for a profile change.

It's something like $5 to chance speed packages on a Rogers fed TPIA connection, which most IISPs simply just do not charge.

Bell charges more because sometimes there's need to be a port or SLAM change, particularly when going from ADSL to VDSL.
BoogaBooga
Canada

BoogaBooga

I was charged $50 for going from 25/10 to 50/10. I think they also changed the port because my line stats went from 75/14 to 70/9 and now I have a 50/4 sync.

Speak to Vmedia and find out exactly what will happen and what charges you may incur.