Search similar:

uniqs

BThunderW
join:2010-02-16
Cambridge, ON

BThunderW to LazMan

to LazMan

Re: VMedia - Real-World experiences?

Any alternatives to the vbox or is that mandatory? Would love to stream TV to any of my computers in the house without having to get a vbox for each one. I have a Media/Gaming PC running XBMC connected to the main TV, would be nice to have ability to watch TV right from that.
taraf
join:2011-05-07
Ottawa, ON

taraf

Thread necromancy ftw....

I have vmedia without a vbox, but I don't subscribe to TV services with them. The vbox is, as far as I can tell, mandatory if you're subscribing to the TV service. There's no monthy fee for the vbox if you buy it outright, and last time I checked the service credit you get for buying it at Canada Computers offsets the actual cost of buying it, if that's your concern.

That said, if you subscribe to another OTT service or have a PVR set up (xbmc or otherwise) there's nothing to stop you from using it with the service. I watch Netflix and Hulu without any problems.

You could, in theory, have the vbox feed into your TV tuner on your HTPC and have that record/stream to other TV's in your house, but you'd be losing on quality : last time I checked, they don't make HDMI-capable TV Tuner cards for PC's due to piracy concerns. Other than that, there's no actual reason you couldn't simply buy a single vbox and stream it to other TV's using xbmc or similar. Just don't expect tech. support.

BThunderW
Cambridge, ON

BThunderW

If the vbox is just a simple android ARM box it's probably running a simple app to connect to Vmedia servers to stream the video. There's no reason why this couldn't be done on a PC, but since the connection is most likely encrypted it'd have to be something done by VMedia as they have the proper keys. I'll see what I can sniff out once my install gets completed.
grand total
join:2005-10-26
Mississauga

grand total

said by BThunderW:

is most likely encrypted

I doubt it, that takes horsepower on both ends.

file
join:2011-03-29
Riverview, NB

file

While it does take horsepower this is usually built into the hardware. As for whether it's encrypted... it would have to be. Upstream channel providers generally require DRM so their content can not be easily "stolen".
grand total
join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
·Fido
MikroTik RB750Gr3
MikroTik wAP AC
Panasonic KX-TGP500

grand total

said by file:

Upstream channel providers generally require DRM so their content can not be easily "stolen".

Yes, but encryption and DRM are not the same thing, are they?

file
join:2011-03-29
Riverview, NB

file

Technically no. Encryption is a method used to achieve DRM though.

eeeaddict
join:2010-02-14

eeeaddict to file

to file
not sure why their so nervous considering the gaping analogue hole still exists
Gza14
join:2002-12-31
Scarborough, ON

Gza14 to LazMan

to LazMan
For new subscribers: how long did it take Rogers to provide Vmedia/ you with a confirmed installation date?

I submitted my application on Aug 12th (confirmation email from Vmedia on the 13th), but still no confirmed date/ time from Rogers as of yet.
alexb4
join:2010-01-13
Gatineau

alexb4

I got my installation confirmation 3 days after placing my order.
Trentelshark
join:2002-12-11
London, ON

Trentelshark to Gza14

to Gza14
Mine took more than a week if I remember right, mind you it was a transfer so no tech visit was required. You may want to follow-up with them to confirm everything is going through as expected.
carlosey
join:2014-08-14

carlosey to LazMan

to LazMan
I placed my order about two weeks ago, I have no internet at home and there is no resolution in sight. No one can answer me when Im going to get an actual installation date. Im starting to have my doubts seeing now how customer service works with them and how long it can take for a switch when something doesnt go perfectly.

I'll post here again when I get my install date sorted out.
Gza14
Scarborough, ON

Gza14 to Trentelshark

to Trentelshark
I've emailed Sales a few days back, and they've issued me a ticket.

Support Chat couldn't help as well.

Hopefully George can chime in on this.

BThunderW
Cambridge, ON

BThunderW to grand total

to grand total
The stream is definitely DRMd. I was able to sniff out some packets and neither VLC or Quicktime can open the .ts stream with the same URL that the vbox is using. The communication protocol seems to be Apple's HTTP streaming using a encrypting segmenter. Funny enough the vbox identifies itself as an iPAD to the vmedia web server when starting the stream.
fink
join:2002-08-21
Toronto, ON

fink to Gza14

to Gza14
It took 3 or 4 days to confirm the date which I'd requested to be about 10 days later. The Roger's tech visit really wasn't necessary though but it's part of the deal I guess. Everyone wants their cut. I had cable w/Teksavvy and it was working perfectly so there was no reason for a tech to show up, measure the signal for 30 seconds and tell me it was "fine, have a nice day".
Gza14
Scarborough, ON

Gza14

George PM'd me to look into the matter, and I just got a call from Support as well.

Apparently there's an issue with all new installations, cable-wide.
carlosey

carlosey to LazMan

to LazMan
I'm close to giving up. Ive gone through every point of contact possible and so far no luck. No idea what the issue is exactly except that it perhaps has to do with Rogers. I must say George has tried to help me recently however.

I want to be with Vmedia but time and patience are running out. I wont be able to hold out a hell of a lot longer. Its been 2.5 weeks and my family is ready to hang me for the lack of internet access and TV mostly. I really hate to say it but a switch to Vmedia is becoming regrettable at this point
Gza14
Scarborough, ON

Gza14

So I called Start, and the rep there also confirmed a 2-week (approx.) delay for new cable installs.

Not that I didn't trust George or his colleague (I appreciated their follow up); I was just curious if other providers had heard anything else since then.
Gza14

Gza14

For sh!ts and giggles, I gave Rogers a call, and mentioned my supposed 'ideal' installation date (Aug 30).

He had no word/ idea of any installation delays at all whatsoever! I told him the big factor that was holding me back from going with Rogers was their uncompetitive pricing.

Thus, two things come to mind:
- installation delays won't be known until an actual order is submitted
- Rogers is screwing around with TPIAs
Trentelshark
join:2002-12-11
London, ON

Trentelshark to Gza14

to Gza14
said by Gza14:

So I called Start, and the rep there also confirmed a 2-week (approx.) delay for new cable installs.

Not that I didn't trust George or his colleague (I appreciated their follow up); I was just curious if other providers had heard anything else since then.

Everyone is gearing up to return to school again, I believe this happens almost every year around this time as the number of sign-ups with the IISPs and even incumbents sky rockets.
Gza14
Scarborough, ON

Gza14

Hmm, totally forgot about that. Makes sense! Hah.
carlosey

carlosey to LazMan

to LazMan
I have now been invoiced by Vmedia for my first billing cycle. No install date confirmed as of yet.
GeorgeBurger
join:2011-12-30

GeorgeBurger

Hi carlosey, really sorry about the delay, and for the stress your family is under. Please rest assured the billing is just an automated process, and all amounts will be adjusted and credited back to you based on the start date. For what its worth what you received is not an invoice, but a notification that the first of the month invoice date is coming up. This is intended as an aide to people who prefer to pay by electronic funds transfer, so they have enough notice to make sure the funds hit our account by the first of the month. Best regards George.
carlosey

carlosey to LazMan

to LazMan
Ok thanks George. I understand that this is simply billing. Its not a major issue.

The only real problem is that there is no date defined for an install through the signup process until now. That's all.
carlosey

carlosey to LazMan

to LazMan
Unfortunately I couldn't wait any longer and went back to my previous provider.

Vmedia seems to have good tech (good demo at Canada Computers) and pricing. The Vbox is nice. George is a good presence for the company. They are young and need to improve their customer service as a selling point. They need to be more proactive and inform clients of delays and actions to be taken to ensure the client remains confident in switching to them. I don't doubt Rogers can fudge it up a little bit for them on purpose. I will consider them in the future again when they are stronger on this front.

bosephus
join:2000-11-06
Smiths Falls, ON

bosephus to LazMan

to LazMan
Here's my story so far...

I placed my order about 28 days ago and the installation date was on the same day as the cancellation date from Bell. I'm on the 6m down, .8m up dsl profile. I checked the FAQ which reported that any dsl 6m profiles will not require a tech to visit your home. Great, I can just change the username and password on my modem and I'd be connected. Well today (08/22/2014) arrived and my internet wasn't activated. I confirmed that the Bell dsl was disconnected, so I called VMedia tech support twice and they said to be patient the confirmation email would arrive shortly.

Is this a normal issue when migrating from Bell to VMedia? I'll be patient, but I don't want to wait too long.

Any input would help.

Thanks,

B.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS

Did you order the 6Mb/s DSL from VMedia on the same telephone number the Bell one was on or as dry loop?

bosephus
Smiths Falls, ON

2 edits

bosephus

said by TypeS:

Did you order the 6Mb/s DSL from VMedia on the same telephone number the Bell one was on or as dry loop?

Yes I ordered the dsl under the same telephone number. I still have my land line phone with Bell.

Update 08/24/2014 - I got my confirmation email today! The install date is for Monday 08/25/2014. Hopefully everything will go smoothly. I'll update my review once it's connected.

Update 08/26/2014 - my internet has been activated, but still needs to be provisioned? Based on my modem's status I have an IP but I can't access the Internet. I was told yesterday that my internet line would require 7-12 hrs to get provisioned. It's been 18hrs and I still can't access the Internet. I'll give call tech support again today...

B.
GeorgeBurger
join:2011-12-30

GeorgeBurger to carlosey

to carlosey
Hi Carlosey, I just want to let you know that your install has been confirmed. We have been trying to reach you by phone but no luck. If there is any way you can give us another shot, we encourage you to do so. This was truly no indication of our service, as it was matters out of our control, which of course is not relevant to your needs, but our diligence in trying to pursue a solution and the degree to which we value our community is within our control, lasting, permanent and always improving.Wish you all the best either way.

bosephus
Smiths Falls, ON

2 edits

bosephus

(Sorry had to bump. Please see my last update).

So I called tech support today and now they blame the modem for the problem I'm having. When it was working last week when I was with Bell.

08/26/2014 1:50pm - everything seems to be working after getting my problem escalated to the engineers. I think there was a problem with the initial IP I was given, since the one I'm using now is on the same subnet as the gateway.

B.