Asus RT-N66
Hitron CODA-4582

nekkidtruth to jdrom

Premium Member

to jdrom

Re: VMedia - Real-World experiences? - WORD OF WARNING

said by jdrom:

said by nekkidtruth:

FTTN/FTTH is only available to Bell and not to third party ISP's.

Slightly inaccurate... FTTH (Fiber To The Home) is only available to Bell. FTTN (Fiber To The Node) is available to everyone. That's what the 25/10 and 50/10 packages are with VMedia and other IISPs. Also FTTN definitely still has distance limitations as the last mile is still the good ol' copper wires.

Yeah I had 2 different things going on in my head. I was thinking of Fibe TV. Stupid ISP's and their silly naming schemes.

Toddman
@72.1.195.x

Toddman to HenryA

Anon

to HenryA

Re: VMedia - Real-World experiences?

HenryA. I think you are being unfair. Why would someone not think you are a VMedia employee or investor trying to protect the company and discredit people with real world issues?

I myself am a big supporter of small companies who are trying to offer acceptable products at more reasonable rates than the big established monopolistic players.

I was tired of Bell, and Rogers and decided to try VMedia. I liked the price and the anticipated services offered. However the reality is the service has been questionable and I feel I am not getting good value. I signed up for VMedia in May 2014. The first month the internet was intermittent and channels were not working that we had paid for. Some time in July it started to work reasonable and for July and August it was working. Now for the last 2 days we have no tv, and very limited internet. I have tried to contact VMedia and only get an answering machine. I have emailed and received what looks like an automated response. How long should a company be given leeway before one decides the product is not worth the price? I can't get an answer out of VMedia as to what is going on. The service is provided over Bell equipment (Modem) and their network (Fiber) but Bell will not talk to me help resolve this issue because I am not a Bell customer. Even if VMedia had a twitter, Facebook or other communications method to let customers know what is happening that would help. I'm half expecting to hear they have gone bankrupt and that is why the service is not working.

If this problem gets corrected I will continue to work with VMedia but they are seriously diminishing the goodwill I had for them. If another effective competitor comes along they will have a tough time keeping their customers.

HenryA
join:2011-05-28

HenryA

»forum.vmedia.ca/

And GeorgeBurger is available every single day on this site. Email him directly.

Sorry you're having problems. Not trolling. I am sorry. I've had a few problems off and on with vmedia, but, I can say they've always been fixed in a timely manner. I'm in a stable area that has good Rogers coverage.

Again, contact GB. Good guy. If you're unhappy with the replies, or you don't get anywhere then tell them to cram it, and try another service. It happens from time to time. You can't make everyone happy.

Hey, if George wants to pay me commision for saying I like Vmedia, I'll happily accept.
Expand your moderator at work
Garneac
join:2011-05-01
Brampton, ON

Garneac to LazMan

to LazMan

Re: VMedia - Real-World experiences?

»puu.sh/clzxE/47c8cab95f.png

I normally don't do downloads around this time, but even so, those speeds aren't looking too good. I thought network congestion had been solved somewhat? Or is it just that I've disciplined myself to avoid downloading at this time, which has led me to believe the issue had been resolved? sadlol

I mean, it's not like I can't continue my download at another time. Still, I thought it would be worth bringing to people's attention. (VMedia to me is still a great service overall.)

EDIT: I'm on the 45/4 package.

giggabotch
join:2006-12-16
York, ON

giggabotch

Could be your neighbourhood node or Ciktel or both. My guess is since this forum isn't being littered with Ciktel complaints that you node is over subscribed hence the timely slow downs.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

It's not CIKTEL, I'm on the same profile and experience no slowdowns at night. My guess is it's the node.

IPTVFan
@167.88.27.x

IPTVFan

Anon

Does anyone (George?) know when the channels for Cloud PVR will be expanded? Right now, it's only the over the air channels. I want to be able to record channels like AMC and Food network.

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been
join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON

WhaleOilBee

said by IPTVFan :

Does anyone (George?) know when the channels for Cloud PVR will be expanded?

I wouldn't hold out much hope for that happening in the very near future. It's not VMedia's fault; I'm sure they're trying their best. I just don't think the owners of the specialty channels ( Bell, Rogers, et al ) are too eager to allow such a great feature to their competitor.

My immediate hope is that a client-side PVR is released soon. It's almost ready for a limited Beta release as far as I can tell.

IPTVFan
@167.88.27.x

IPTVFan

Anon

Thank you for the response. A client side PVR would be perfect. Do you know whether it will be implemented by connecting a hard drive to the USB port (when the application software is ready of course) or would additional equipment be required?
GeorgeBurger
join:2011-12-30

GeorgeBurger

Hi IPTVFan in fact you are right(and so is WhaleOilBee), but in particular to your comment, nothing further an than a hard drive or a USB key or a memory card.

IPTVFan
@167.88.27.x

IPTVFan

Anon

Great news, George! Thanks!
monsoon66
join:2007-01-13
Toronto, ON

monsoon66 to LazMan

to LazMan
Is anyone here using VMedia in a neighbourhood with a high population density? I'm in an apartment building in an area with a lot of other apartment buildings so I'm worried there would be congestion issues (on the Comstock POI currently) during prime time.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Everybody goes through the POI at York Mills and Yonge, COMSTOCK is use for Rogers, but all of TPIA goes through "YORK"
lmotaku
join:2014-11-02
Canada

lmotaku to LazMan

to LazMan
First post. But I've used DSLReports for seeing what people think about different companies for a long time, so I figured I would add to it.

As far as internet service goes Vmedia in the Simcoe County region(DSL Dry-Loop) seems to be working just fine. The thing I'd say to be wary of is their customer service. When you sign up you get very understanding and personable people. When doing anything with your account, trying to figure out a problem, or solve a discrepancy, you get very uncaring individuals and people that don't comprehend what you're trying to say very well. You could spend an hour trying to get a result and it ends up in a constant loop of talking to people who basically don't care. Have a problem? Deal with it yourself. Did we frustrate you? We don't care about that either. Did information not get presented to you adequately? Tough. Vmedia's business model is pay for it or leave it, we couldn't give a damn if you go somewhere else. They use the excuse "We are cheaper by $30 of xyz company": If you don't like it, switch.

I wrote them an email with full details of what my issue was and asked them to do something about it and someone replied with a generic "We're sorry, but we don't care." response to me having an issue with the information presented to me and my complaints against their customer service. So, if 0 responsibility or liability is okay with you, their service is just fine.
GeorgeBurger

GeorgeBurger

Hi Imotaku, I am very sorry to read about your experience with VMedia. That is not a great start, but I also want to assure you that is not the quality of service we aspire to achieve. We are always trying to improve while managing the demands of expansion, nonetheless and impression of lack of caring to help and resolve is an unacceptable one to be left with. Please if you care to, email me with your details so I may look into this, and forward me the email you are referring if you can. I will follow up.

vmedia_user
@199.119.233.x

vmedia_user to monsoon66

Anon

to monsoon66
I would recommend against using Vmedia if you would like to have broadband speeds between the hours of 6PM to midnight. There forum is riddled with complaints about nightly slowdowns that have been going on for months. I finally got fed up and posted there because I'm on the verge of switching after being forced to tether to my smartphone tonight.

»forum.vmedia.ca/forum/in ··· -support
GeorgeBurger

GeorgeBurger

I am very sorry to hear about your issues, can you let me know your account ID so that I can look into this myself?
alexb4
join:2010-01-13
Gatineau

alexb4

I've noticed the same thing the past few evenings. I'm lucky if I even get 5 Mbps down. My upload speeds are faster than my download speeds...
monsoon66
join:2007-01-13
Toronto, ON

monsoon66 to LazMan

to LazMan
Was talking to a friend about VMedia earlier and he said that he has heard how VMedia will soon remove CIK as the middle man and switch over to being a more independent ISP.

Is this true and if so what is the ETA of this happening?
alexb4
join:2010-01-13
Gatineau

alexb4

It's mentioned in the VMedia forums. I think leshka said it's 3 months down the road...
Expand your moderator at work