how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rvd_06

join:2001-09-25
Calgary, AB

2.4ghz vs 5ghz outdoor ap can't pick up ssid

Using a 2.4ghz tplink TL-WA5210G I can pickup almost 90 ap's. But when I use 5ghz tplink TL-WA7510N, I can only pickup 2 ap's.
Why is there such a huge discrepancy ?

The wisp I'm trying to use said to use a 5ghz outdoor ap, I can't find there ssid on either 2.4 or 5, any general help with that ?

»www.staples.ca/en/TP-LINK-24GHz-···_1_20001
»www.staples.ca/en/TP-LINK-5GHz-1···_1_20001

treichhart

join:2006-12-12

1 recommendation

is because there is more 2G ap's then what 5G ap's are out there.

rvd_06

join:2001-09-25
Calgary, AB
said by treichhart:

is because there is more 2G ap's then what 5G ap's are out there.

Okay, makes sense.

Any general advice when trying to accquire a wisp's ssid, all I was told was point it in a sw direction off my roof, lol.

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
kudos:1
Can you see their tower from your roof? You need to get above the trees for 5GHz to work.

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Winchester, CA

1 recommendation

They may also be using proprietary radios that you cant just buy off the shelf and use. You need to know what they are using, what freq, what bandwidth they are using 95mhz, 10hmz, 20mhz or 40 MHz) depending on manufacturer they are using these are some of the things you will need to know. They may even be encrypted and also not broadcasting the SSID. Sounds like you really need to talk the person in charge of the RF dept. Most wisps don't just let you connect to their network with your own equipment, I know I would not and have never allowed this. To many headaches to deal with..
--
»www.accelwireless.com
ComTrain Certified Tower Climber.
Wireless and IT consultant.
Proficient in Mikrotik