spc
Search similar:

uniqs
orcanaria
join:2013-07-20
Thornhill, ON

orcanaria

TekSavvy DSL 15/10 Getting slow upload.

Hi, I have recently changed to the 15/10 DSL plan.

Ever since day 1, I have only been getting 3.5mbps upload rather than the full 10mbps which was advertised. The only reason why I have changed the service is to get the upload speed in the first place because I do a lot of uploading.

Here is my speed test result.

My modem is connected directly to my computer. Teksavvy support kept saying that I had high attenuation between the node to my house. I tried taking off all the phones in the house and I also tried changing different DSL cable/phone cable to reduce the attenuation. But I also told them that attenuation has nothing to do with this issue because my download speed is fine and its only the upload speed getting affected.

I suspected that it would be a mistake from Bell's side or Teksavvy's side in changing the speed profile, because I am only getting about 15mbps download 3.5mbps upload. The service person told me that they are seeing the same line stat from their side and that the profile was set correctly..

Or maybe I was thinking that the advertised speed was not offered in the area and maybe they gave me the service anyway to gouge me? I live in Thornhill area near Dufferin and Steeles.

They also had mentioned that I will have to pay an additional 90 dollars if I wanted to have a bell technician come and look at my line. Which I find absolutely disgusting seeing that I already paid for the installation and technician fee when I first made the switch.

has anyone else had the same/similar issue? Please let me know what you guys think!

Azmodan012
join:2013-05-10
Chatham, ON

Azmodan012

You would only pay the $87.70 + tax if Bell found that the cause of your slow upload speed was being caused by your inside wiring, or equiptment. If the issue is found to be caused by a problem on their end, then you pay nothing.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to orcanaria

Premium Member

to orcanaria
Do you live in a house where you have access to your demarcation point on the side of the house? thats the best way to check your inside wiring, by hooking up your modem there and checking the stats.
henry128
join:2010-09-03
Hillsboro, OR

henry128 to orcanaria

to orcanaria
Unfortunately, I think this is how things are supposed to work. I only got ~3.5 Mbps upload when I was with Bell's 25/7.

If you look at Bell's website, they promise 680 kbps upload for "15/10", 3 Mbps upload for "25/10", and 9 Mbps upload for "25/10". Perhaps Teksavvy should state these guarantees more prominently on their website.

The attenuation is likely because you are far from the CO/remote, and isn't something you can fix. Long lines tend reduce upload speeds sooner than download.

One way to see whether your line is actually capable of ~10 Mbps upload is to see whether the 50/10 service is offered at your location.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to orcanaria

to orcanaria
Unfortunately, the 10Mbps upload is not a guarantee, even to Bell's own customers. I know no one likes to read the words "up to", but TekSavvy has them there on the website because that's all Bell, their vendor for the service, guarantees them, anywhere from 640kbps to 10Mbps.

You're most likely on a remote DSLAM that many on here refer to as a "Stinger", early deployment units when Bell first rolled out VDSL service. These remotes often don't put out full upload speed. A lot of people get stuck on 7 out of 10.

You can post here »/fo ··· avdirect and see of TSI Keith can look into pushing Bell for bit more upload speed, but I doubt you will see the full 10.
orcanaria
Thornhill, ON

orcanaria

Thanks for all the feedback. I wasn't really able to locate where the line was being fed in. I will give that a try later today when I go through the fuse box. I think my modem line gets fed into the house along with all the power lines.

As for what henry128 mentioned, my area doesn't have an option for 50/10 service. So I suppose it would be the lack of lines that are coming into area which is causing the lack of upload.

This makes sense because I was also suspecting that bell didn't have a line coming area which supported 10mbps upload. I was willing to accept a clear answer of "this service is not provided in your area" but I was upset over the fact that either end was unable to tell me what kind of service I should be able to receive, providing me with an unclear solution which may or may not work.

I'm also aware that 3.5 mbps upload is pretty decent and it hasn't failed me so far, but I should be able to upload higher resolution content if I got the full 10mbps upload which I thought I was signing up for.
orcanaria

orcanaria

Some update.

I've actually tried connecting to the basement dsl line (because I couldn't connect to demarcation point directly. The modem wasn't able to resolve the login when I connected to demarcation point directly for some reason)

I could observe an increase in upload speed up to 5mbps.

Maybe it is something to do with the wiring inside the house..

som ting ron
@teksavvy.com

som ting ron

Anon

Bell 50/10 fine prints:

Actual speeds will vary depending on the distance between the customer’s modem and switching equipment from Bell : min. 46 Mbps and max. 50 Mbps down speeds; Min. 9 Mbps and max.10 Mbps up speeds.

»www.bell.ca/Bell_Interne ··· et-50-10

hardware / line issue should not affect the upload speed alone.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS

That's on 50/10 only though. Typically if you can get 50/10 you're a) on a 7330 remote and b) pretty close to it.

On 25/10 this is the fine print about the upload:
quote:
Actual speeds will vary depending on the distance between the customer’s modem and switching equipment from Bell. Min. 3 Mbps and max. 10 Mbps up speeds.

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009 to orcanaria

to orcanaria
Do you know what your profile is actually set at?

xsbell
join:2008-12-22
Canada

xsbell to Azmodan012

to Azmodan012
said by Azmodan012:

You would only pay the $87.70 + tax if Bell found that the cause of your slow upload speed was being caused by your inside wiring, or equiptment. If the issue is found to be caused by a problem on their end, then you pay nothing.

There are no DMC charges anymore on high speed tickets (SA).
orcanaria
Thornhill, ON

orcanaria

I've successfully connected to Demarcation point and I've gotten 6.7 mbps download. This is the maximum I could get before the wire split in the house.

It seems like a mix of both messy wire job in the house and the incoming upload speed.

I believe the teksavvy service person told me that I was actually on a 16/10 profile...