Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

GoRaptors

join:2011-07-22
London, ON

1 edit

intermittent issues last 2 weeks w/Distributel cable modem

Past 2 weeks I have been having intermittent signal issues with my Motorola sb5101 cable modem from Distributel.

The send/receive & online lights will go out & start flashing it will lose "synch" for lack of a better term. Seems completely random happening.

Since yesterday I bypassed the splitter & hooked up the line from the cable box that was coming from outside directly to the back of the cable

modem. That *seemed* to have fixed it mostly, however it seemed to happen once overnight & just happened again once now.

Only 1 desktop pc and it is wired directly to the cable modem.

I will post some screencaps of some info & would appreciate any & all help/tips/ideas on what else it could be! Thanks in advance!

»imgur.com/2IVJdhD

Let me know if any other info is needed! Thanks again! :P! ! Cheers!
--
»tinyurl.com/83jhmnc ---> Please comment! Switch from Rogers Prepaid to Wind Mobile?

»tinyurl.com/6pfywwp ---> Please comment! Rogers/Distributel Nightmare!

GoRaptors

London, ON

bump? Please? somebody help me out here? It would be greatly appreciated! Super thanks in advance! Cheers! :P! ! (or did I say or do something wrong?)

BTC Kevin

join:2011-10-01
Nepean, ON
kudos:1
reply to GoRaptors

Motorola sb5101 is a docsis 2.0 modem with only 1 down and 1 up RF channels.

Get a Docsis 3.0 such as a DCM475/476
It has 8 down and 4 up. which is much more resilient.

In fact some cable networks are requiring users to switch to docsis 3.0, if they want to keep service.

GoRaptors

London, ON

I rent the modem from Distributel. I don't own it. Thanks for the advice tho! Cheers! Does anyone else have any helpful troubleshooting tips/advice/ideas on what the *intermittent* problem might be? I was advised I might need a low pass or high pass filter on the tv side of the splitter? there is possibly noise coming back from the tv(even though it is just analog). a trap filter: WHP or MLP filter. Super thanks in advance! I would greatly appreciate more people chiming in! Thanks again! :P! ! Again if u need *any* other info let me know!
--
»tinyurl.com/83jhmnc ---> Please comment! Switch from Rogers Prepaid to Wind Mobile?

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

well if you're renting just ask for a D3 modem instead.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2

You're going to have to switch by Sept 1 and will have to go to a DOC 3 modem anyway.

GoRaptors

London, ON

Is this via mail or e-mail? I have not gotten any notices, are they totally phasing out docsis2 cable modems? Nothing on twitter or the website as of yet. I haven't made up my mind as of what I am going 2 do as of yet. In the meantime though, I have no tv cos I bypassed the 2 way splitter to get stable internet. I would appreciate more feedback/ideas on how 2 resolve the issue/problem(without having to switch modems or possible experience any downtime). So would a low/high pass filter(a trap filter WHP or MLP) fix the issue if I put it on the tv side of the 2 way splitter?. Thanks in advance if anyone could please chime in on how to *actually* troubleshoot the problem/issue! Super appreciated! :P! !
--

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2

said by GoRaptors:

Is this via mail or e-mail? I have not gotten any notices, are they totally phasing out docsis2 cable modems? Nothing on twitter or the website as of yet. I haven't made up my mind as of what I am going 2 do as of yet. In the meantime though, I have no tv cos I bypassed the 2 way splitter to get stable internet. I would appreciate more feedback/ideas on how 2 resolve the issue/problem(without having to switch modems or possible experience any downtime). So would a low/high pass filter(a trap filter WHP or MLP) fix the issue if I put it on the tv side of the 2 way splitter?. Thanks in advance if anyone could please chime in on how to *actually* troubleshoot the problem/issue! Super appreciated! :P! !

Both

quote:

Dear xxxx

As you may already know, Distributel purchased 3web Corporation, your Internet service provider. We are now seeking to align its services with ours, and transition you to a Distributel package featuring better service, faster speeds, and great value, with no term contracts.

Distributel Communications Limited is one of Canadas leading independent providers of Internet services, committed to providing the best value and customer service in the marketplace.

Next Steps
This transition will take effect as of September 1st, 2013, after which time we will no longer be able to provide you the service you currently have.

However, by following the steps outlined below, you will be able to select a new Distributel package and your Internet service will be uninterrupted.

Choose the Package Closest to Your Current Service
Distributel offers the best value in residential Internet service in Canada and truly unlimited downloads! This is the opportunity to upgrade to one of our many high-speed Internet services. These can be seen on our website, www.distributel.ca

As you can see in chart below, Distributel still offers the best value in residential Internet service in Canada and all of our Internet services come with truly unlimited downloads!

DISTRIBUTEL ROGERS
Speed All Unlimited Capped Unlimited
6 Mbps $36.95 $41.49 $71.99

25 Mbps $51.95 $51.99 $94.99

Based on your current services, we recommend that you choose one of the following:

* Why is a new modem required?
Because your current modem may no longer be supported by our current carrier or be capable of taking advantage of the speeds made available to you.

How Do You Choose?
Simply login to your 3web My Account online portal, and follow the easy steps to activate your new service.

Please note that your existing service will be phased out on September 1st, 2013. To avoid the disconnection of your Internet service, please ensure that you have selected your new package by August 10th, 2013.

We look forward to you joining the Distributel family, and benefiting from the great value in Internet service that is the core of our reputation.

Please do not reply to this email. If you require further information, please call us at
1-877-743-8242.

Best Regards,

Customer Care Team
Distributel Communications Limited
www.distributel.ca

--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

f7

@3web.net

the sb5101n modem from distributel are just refurb that they bought dirt cheap from rogers. ...it is just a money grab for a docis 2 modem as your current docis works good as well.