how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kevnich24

join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

[TV] Guide small on tv

We just changed our service from Verizon to Brighthouse. When I called to order the DVR, I mentioned I was wanting one that was a bit faster than the one we had 3 years ago as it was very clunky and slow. The guy on the phone said they had a new lineup of DVR's that were very fast and had recently revamped the guide and menu's so they are higher resolution and look better on HD tv's, had a lot of new features such as hooking up to online streaming video. I said ok let's do that. The tech came and had one of the same boxes we had 3 years ago. After he got it hooked up, the guide is showing very small. The only settings I see that can be changed is to stretch it, zoom it or have it be normal.

For a service and guide that I was told was upgraded and is more modern and made for HD tv's - this is the same guide as before. I can't find any settings for showing an HD version that looks anything close to what we had on our verizon FIOS guide. Am I missing something in the settings or do I need to just take this DVR back and exchange it for a different one?

wbrightfl7

join:2004-07-15
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
Many of us feel that so-called guide upgrade, was a down-grade. I for one hate it and for me, it's the only negative for having Bright House for cable TV. The guide can't be set to full screen. It will display in a smaller box in the middle of the screen while leaving a great deal of blank space around it, so you are only able to view an hour and half of listings at a time. The BH guide is far behind Verizon, Dish, Direct and Tivo. After they released this poorly developed guide last year, they did get a lot of feedback about how disappointed we are with it. Hopefully they are working to develop something user friendly and easy to view. It's been almost a year so let's pray they don't wait too much longer to roll out a new guide.

As for your DVR version, which make and model is it? I have a Cisco 8642 and it's an excellent DVR. High quality picture and responds well to the remote commands. Very happy with it's performance.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:148
reply to kevnich24
said by kevnich24:

We just changed our service from Verizon to Brighthouse. When I called to order the DVR, I mentioned I was wanting one that was a bit faster than the one we had 3 years ago as it was very clunky and slow. The guy on the phone said they had a new lineup of DVR's that were very fast and had recently revamped the guide and menu's so they are higher resolution and look better on HD tv's, had a lot of new features such as hooking up to online streaming video. I said ok let's do that. The tech came and had one of the same boxes we had 3 years ago. After he got it hooked up, the guide is showing very small. The only settings I see that can be changed is to stretch it, zoom it or have it be normal.

For a service and guide that I was told was upgraded and is more modern and made for HD tv's - this is the same guide as before. I can't find any settings for showing an HD version that looks anything close to what we had on our verizon FIOS guide. Am I missing something in the settings or do I need to just take this DVR back and exchange it for a different one?

What make/model box do you have?
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

kevnich24

Mulberry, FL
SA 8300HD is the model box I have.

Yeah the guide seems like a big step down. It could easily be improved. Seems like such a waste of space to not use the entire screen to view more channels.

kevnich24

Mulberry, FL
reply to kevnich24
One other big thing I noticed is that this SA 8300HD has such a SMALL hard drive. There's no way we could keep this. One recording took up 5% of the space. Guess I will make a trip to the BH office sometime this week to exchange it with a different brand with a bigger drive.

Guide_Tim

join:2012-02-28
Taft, CA
kudos:1
reply to kevnich24
kevnich24 I hope the next DVR you pick up works out better for you , keep us posted
--
Taft CA Bright House Customer Since 2003 Lightning 60/5 Motorola SB6141

kdwycha

join:2003-01-30
Riverview, FL
reply to kevnich24
I have a Samsung model HD-DVR and the guide is full screen and seems to work okay.

kevnich24

Mulberry, FL
said by kdwycha:

I have a Samsung model HD-DVR and the guide is full screen and seems to work okay.

Yeah the samsung box is what sales person on the phone said he was going to give me, but apparently never put the proper notes on the order for the install tech so that's not what I actually received. Now I have to find time to get to the local office for them to exchange it.