how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

snorlax14

join:2007-11-20
Thornhill, ON

1 recommendation

Don't forget to replace your DSL filters yearly!!

Philips DSL filter
I had to laugh when I saw this. In the upper right corner is a notice to replace your DSL filter yearly. Must be a translation mishap. Thought I would see the community's reaction.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2
Sounds like something the CSRs at Ciktel would require: »CIKTEL - Literally a candidate for worst CS in the world..

shwatkin
Premium
join:2007-10-02
Bowmanville, ON
Reviews:
·Distributel Cable
reply to snorlax14
I once had a customer come into a computer store I was working at and ask me for a new 56K modem (yeah, this was a few years ago). I asked why? The customer said that she had spoke to Bell tech support and that the support tech told her that her modem wasn't working because it had expired and to go buy a new one. I informed the customer that she should probably bring in the computer for us to test free of charge and if the modem was actually faulty then we would sell her a new one and install it. After the customer left I promptly laughed myself to tears. It's amazing what people without tech knowledge will believe when it seems to come from a reputable source. Expired, still love that one.

snorlax14

join:2007-11-20
Thornhill, ON
"expired" may be translated as "dead". Could be a tech who first language isn't English used the wrong word.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to snorlax14
I've seen DSL filters go bad, but replace them yearly? I don't think so. I suspect the Philips filter isn't cheap either (despite being exactly the same or lower quality than what ISPs provide...)
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to snorlax14
If you got the $4.95 to waste per year buying replacement DSL filters, I got a 419 scheme I'd like to sell you on...

Regards

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
reply to snorlax14
I bought a pack of 5x generic DSL filters for $8 from Adisson five years ago. They worked perfectly fine for ADSL for the past five years and for ADSL2+ between the time the Bell tech setup the DSLAM and the time the TSI tech installed the POTS splitter.

xDSL filters are made entirely from passive components. Unless the components are of exceptionally poor quality, have manufacturing defects or the phone line has major surges on it, filters should last almost indefinitely.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
said by InvalidError:

xDSL filters are made entirely from passive components. Unless the components are of exceptionally poor quality, have manufacturing defects or the phone line has major surges on it, filters should last almost indefinitely.

The Corning ones I got from Bell said "Made in Haiti".
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

BTC Kevin

join:2011-10-01
Nepean, ON
kudos:1
reply to snorlax14
56k modems do 'expire' at least Microsoft wise.

The old hardware 56k modems can't function on the newer windows. So only newer software driven 56k modems work. the better term is 'in-compatible' but I guess 'expired' was easier for the person to understand.

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
reply to snorlax14
Mine never failed and they're around 6 years old.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to shwatkin
said by shwatkin:

I once had a customer come into a computer store I was working at and ask me for a new 56K modem....

Like the woman in an old electronics magazine cartoon, standing at the counter in the repair store, talking with the tech there :

"My husband said that this radio has a 'short' in it. - Would you put a 'long' in it, or something ?"

Don't shoot me - I'm only the messenger - the cartoon exists.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to snorlax14

@ OP :

Funny !

I have however been led to understand that the inline surge components in power surge bars can and do wear out in time, without any obvious symptoms until they don't do their job.

But not every year.

Fraoch

join:2003-08-01
Cambridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to snorlax14
This is an easy one!

DSL filters contain capacitors. Capacitors are filled with electrolyte. Electrolyte dries up over time so it's best to replace the filter every year.

While you're at it, most other electronics contain capacitors too. So...

edit: if it isn't obvious, I'm kidding.

balur

join:2010-04-28
reply to BTC Kevin
said by BTC Kevin:

The old hardware 56k modems can't function on the newer windows. So only newer software driven 56k modems work. the better term is 'in-compatible' but I guess 'expired' was easier for the person to understand.

Yeah Windows 8 really is a bitch with ISA ports

InvalidError

reply to Fraoch
said by Fraoch:

This is an easy one!

DSL filters contain capacitors. Capacitors are filled with electrolyte.

Only electrolytic capacitors have electrolyte. Ceramic, MLCC, mylar, glass, paper, tantalum and a few other types are dry/solid.

Electrolytic capacitors are rarely used for signal filtering; particularly for MHz+ signals like DSL.

And unless electrolytics get operated close or beyond their nominal specs, quality ones that operate well within their spec usually last a very long time - I have a 30 years old audio amplifier, still works perfectly fine apart from a few worn switches that occasionally glitch.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to snorlax14
Make it easy.... replace them twice per year - the same time you replace your furnace filters & smoke detector batteries. I'm sure Bell could dream up a service plan around that.

Fraoch

join:2003-08-01
Cambridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to InvalidError
said by InvalidError:

said by Fraoch:

This is an easy one!

DSL filters contain capacitors. Capacitors are filled with electrolyte.

Only electrolytic capacitors have electrolyte. Ceramic, MLCC, mylar, glass, paper, tantalum and a few other types are dry/solid.

Electrolytic capacitors are rarely used for signal filtering; particularly for MHz+ signals like DSL.

And unless electrolytics get operated close or beyond their nominal specs, quality ones that operate well within their spec usually last a very long time - I have a 30 years old audio amplifier, still works perfectly fine apart from a few worn switches that occasionally glitch.

...I did say I was kidding...

InvalidError

said by Fraoch:

Except there are so many poorly designed consumer electronics that drying/dying electrolytic caps are a genuine plague.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to snorlax14
Well yeah!? It's a "FILTER"... it get's dirty over time. lol

elec999

join:2005-12-19
Do you still DSL filters with dry loop?

julienvf

join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC
reply to shwatkin
That actually happened to me last week.. Customer asking for a new 56k modem to put in a tower running Windows Me!

BTC Kevin

join:2011-10-01
Nepean, ON
reply to elec999
Yes, because Bell doesn't do TRUE dry-loop anymore.

They just silence the dial-tone generator (sometimes) and put a restricted outgoing dial plan, and still issue all line a dial in number.

Dry-loop has become a term they use for DSL-with-no-calling-plan. It's no longer DSL-with-no-phone-signal.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

Make it easy.... replace them twice per year - the same time you replace your furnace filters & smoke detector batteries. I'm sure Bell could dream up a service plan around that.

Yeah, trust Bell....

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to Fraoch
said by Fraoch:

You need THESE :

[jk] Text [/jk]

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to BTC Kevin
said by BTC Kevin:

Yes, because Bell doesn't do TRUE dry-loop anymore....

Even in earlier times, dry loops ALWAYS were assigned a phone number and a circuit number, just like regular lines.

Bell just never told us, and most of us never asked.

I found out what mine was by asking TSI and/or a Bell field tech, at the time of my DSL install some years back.

It proved to be useful info at times.

Not really

@206.172.0.x
reply to BTC Kevin
said by BTC Kevin:

Yes, because Bell doesn't do TRUE dry-loop anymore.

They just silence the dial-tone generator (sometimes) and put a restricted outgoing dial plan, and still issue all line a dial in number.

Dry-loop has become a term they use for DSL-with-no-calling-plan. It's no longer DSL-with-no-phone-signal.

You don't actually need a dry loop if you have nothing other then your modem connected.

Exidor
Premium
join:2001-05-04
Brampton, ON
reply to snorlax14
Related discussion:

»How long do dsl filters last?