All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
trclac
join:2005-05-04

trclac

[Windows] Networking question

Our house is two stories, but the way the house is constructed, we barely get a signal from the router in the study into the master bedroom located on the same floor. Since the house was built in 2008, they ran ethernet all through it. So what I did is use a D-Link DIR-655 as the main router in the study. I have a switch in the closet where all the ethernet cables merge. I then placed an Access Point in the master bedroom, and two rooms upstairs (the D-Link DAP-1522).

However, I am thinking it is time to upgrade the router, but this router works great with the set up I have (i.e., the 3 access points to expand coverage).

Any thoughts on the best way to upgrade the router to one of the latest versions, and any idea as to what type of access points I should use? As noted, all access points are hard wired to the main router via the switch in the closet.

Thanks.
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN

Premium Member

What makes you tink it's time to upgrade the router? The 655 is a good piece of gear.
trclac

trclac

Maybe it's just time to upgrade the APs. Whatever it is, the connection no longer seems as strong from room to room. The APs are the first gen DAP-1522s. So perhaps a suggestion for some solid APs that will work well with the router is what I need.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to trclac

MVM

to trclac
said by trclac:

Any thoughts on the best way to upgrade the router to one of the latest versions,

Like AsherN See Profile says, it'd help to know how / why you came to the conclusion the DLINK needs replacement.
First place I'd start is the charts at smallnetbuilder.com and check for the one(s) that meet your needs --
max thruput, max # of simultaneous connections, etc.

It also helps to know how / why you came to the conclusion you need to replace the WAPs? WEP-only gear?
(wanting to) move to N speeds?

Regards
trclac

trclac

We've had this set up for about 4 years or so. The 3 APs are the first gen DAP-1522 (Rev A). The DIR-655 is Rev B. Over the last year, as we have more and more devices relying on wi-fi (iPhones, iPads, laptops, TVs, game consoles, etc.), the performance on the wi-fi side seems to have degraded, with my family remarking that the network isn't as fast as it used to be, unable to connect, etc. And I would also like to take advantage of the speed increases developed in the last few years. The network still works, it just seems to have gotten slower and more congested. This is the reason for the question.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

Do you have the AP's set to Auto-Select, or to a fixed channel?

It's time to use something like InSSIDer to scan for the networks around you and the channels they are using.

How big is the house, and what type of construction? Are you sure you need three additional AP's?

If you do replace them, I would recommend dual-band units. Move what you can to the 5ghz range. There are more available channels and less congestion to deal with.
trclac

trclac

They're set to a fixed channel. The house is about 4500 sq ft, but the builder said they wrapped it in some type of thermal material to keep the heat out. It also blocks a lot of wi fi traffic. The router is in the study, and we receive very little signal in the master bedroom on the same floor. So we have an AP there. We have two APs upstairs for similar reasons.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

billaustin

MVM

I would start with InSSIDer on a laptop and check the channel usage at each AP location. Do the upstairs first, and turn off the other three units while scanning each location. The goal is to setup a channel usage plan that minimizes interference with other networks and your own AP's.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to trclac

MVM

to trclac
Get an inventory of the following

a) how many devices on a WIRED connection, and their connecting speed -- ie. 100Mbps, 1000Mbps.

b) how many devices on a WIRELESS connection, the frequency band (2.4Ghz, 5Ghz), and whether they're G or N band.

As for this comment
said by trclac:

with my family remarking that the network isn't as fast as it used to be, unable to connect, etc.

Get a tool like IPERF or similar and start getting some actual numbers. I work in Networking support and the FIRST
thing I ask when I get a user saying "it's not as fast as it used to be," I ALWAYS tell them "get me an actual
number to compare to."

As for "faster" gear, the step above N is AC, which is still in DRAFT status and not yet ratified. You COULD try
it out, but caveat emptor.

InSSIDER and doing a site survey couldn't hurt either.

My 00000010bits

Regards

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to trclac

Premium Member

to trclac
Anecdotally, I recently picked up a Linksys E6300 (actually an E6400 internal parts), as strictly as AP, and the kids noticed an improvement (iphone users etc), over two older generations of AP .

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd to trclac

MVM

to trclac
My suggestion is the Netgear R6300 -- it has significant flexibility and if PLACED properly will serve your needs far better than most other wireless devices. If you decide to get the R6300 make sure to load the latest firmware V1.0.2.68_1.0.49

By placement I mean as high as possible and as central as possible. for example in a 2 story home I would place the unit on the 2nd story, in the hallway where the stairwell leads to the 2nd story and 18 inches from the ceiling. Most people will not do that due to the expense and bother of setting this up properly

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to Anav

MVM

to Anav
said by Anav:

Anecdotally, I recently picked up a Linksys E6300 (actually an E6400 internal parts), as strictly as AP, and the kids noticed an improvement (iphone users etc), over two older generations of AP .

I picked up an ASUS RT-N66U router and that thing has great range over the older Netgear router that I used to have that was 2 years old. Its amazing that I can go down the street 3 houses down and still get good signal. Not saying that a router will solve all your issues, but upgrading does have its advantages. You may want to consider it.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to Anav

MVM

to Anav
said by Anav:

Anecdotally, I recently picked up a Linksys E6300

More anecdotal evidence. A year ago I replaced our enGenius b/g AP with an Netgear 802Tv2 802.11n AP. Much better range then before. I don't know if this is AP specific or the impact of the 802.11n spec. Based on Nightfall See Profile post of old Netgear vs new ASUS seems to indicate 11n has better range.

AP is in 2nd fl closet and I now get very strong signal in my basement office at the other end of the house.

/tom