spc
Search similar:

uniqs

hellohello5
join:2013-06-28
Detroit, MI

hellohello5

2600 series & 2500 series. Embedded C..

Studying for my CCNA, I acquired 2 Cisco 2600 series routers & 1 Cisco 2500 series router. And reading about OSPF – I had a few ideas how to modify this protocol. My modification would be more relevant on more robust routers. I have a lot of the logic thought out, and I have programmed in C/C++ in college. I was wondering if there is any open source code available for these Cisco routers that could replace Cisco IOS – and I would be able to add my logic to change OSPF slightly.

Regards,
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE

MVM

said by hellohello5:

I was wondering if there is any open source code available

...about as likely as finding open source code from Microsoft, Adobe, AutoCAD, etc... which is to say,
"none at all that I know of."

Also, your idea of running software other than IOS on these devices is not likely to happen either. I
personally haven't gone out of my way looking for alt software for these. Feel free to browse on your
search engine of choice, but it comes with a warning of "your fault if you brick it."

Regards

hellohello5
Detroit, MI

hellohello5

Yes, I figure Cisco doesn't have open source software. But I thought there maybe something out there? But searching - I found nothing.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

cramer to hellohello5

Premium Member

to hellohello5
Unless you go way back to the 2500 line they contain too much proprietary hardware. And the 2500's are so old, even Google cannot find the linux hack that runs on them.

hellohello5
Detroit, MI

hellohello5

There is DD-WRT for home routers. Just was unable to find anything for my enterprise routers..
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to hellohello5

MVM

to hellohello5
Let's just say when you hit the enterprise arena, do you want a turnkey solution, or did you want to be home brewing your own router code?

If the latter, Cisco kit ain't it.

Regards

hellohello5
Detroit, MI

hellohello5

Thats true. I don’t’ want to go off on a tangent – just trying to earn the CCNA.
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to hellohello5

MVM

to hellohello5
Best of luck on that endeavor hellohello5 See Profile

Regards

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

TomS_ to hellohello5

MVM

to hellohello5
There was a tiny linux distro that could run on the 2500 series (uClinux), but otherwise, IOS is a proprietary operating system, and I doubt you will find source code to it anywhere.

uClinux is still out there, I downloaded it maybe a couple of months ago. Still have it on my Mac, if you really want to look at it I can upload it somewhere. It ceased active development a loooong time ago though.

Cisco may license it like Microsoft does for the Windows kernel to very select universities for study purposes, but Ive never heard of it happening.

Your better bet might be to implement something between a series of *nix boxes as a proof of concept, rather than wasting too much time trying to get something running on a Cisco box.

And FWIW, what you are trying to achieve is well beyond the realms of CCNA and will not really help you one bit towards obtaining it. Even CCIE I would imagine. Cisco certs are not about analysing the operation of protocols and technologies to determine how they can be improved, more so just to understand them so you know how they work.

For all its worth, if you think you have something, then as I mentioned above, come up with a proof of concept, write an RFC about it, and publish it and see what happens. If it can be made any better, Im sure there are people out there that want a better routing protocol.

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One

Premium Member

Aside from IOS being proprietary, it's not like you can just go "write your own" version of OSPF. Internet protocols are vetted by the IETF, and typically take years to become deployed. No offense, but I expect some random guy programming his own version is pretty unrealistic.

But I don't want to be a complete wet blanket, you can certainly look into submitting your ideas:
»www.ietf.org/newcomers.html

Who knows, maybe some day we'll see your RFC!