spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

CDD

join:2008-08-11

MiFi Antenna Setup?

I purchased one of the Universal Antenna's from Millenicom and hooked it up to my 4620LE JetPack. However, nothing much happened and I'm just wondering if there's any other setup that I need to do. For whatever reason, there's no documentation on the antenna online and very little for the 4620LE.

Has anyone gotten an antenna for their JetPack and done anything more than plug it in to the jack? And if that's really all there is to it, is there anyway to determine if it's doing anything?

Thanks!

Max Signal
Premium
join:2008-03-07
Buffalo, NY
kudos:1

That is a great antenna . Do you have the Magnetic Mount antenna on at least an 8 eight inch by 8 inch ferrous metal surface . It is very important that you do .

CDD

No, I actually have it sitting on top of a wooden curio cabinet since that's where I get the best signal What kind of metal surface do you recommend? Just go to Lowe's and grab a piece of...something?

Max Signal
Premium
Buffalo, NY

Did you not read the big orange sticker on the antenna? , any ferrous metal surface at least 8 inches by 8 inches . Fridge , pizza pan , metal saw blade etc. ( not aluminum or stainless steel ) By a window is best not not up high on a cabinet

Lyserjic

join:2002-07-02
Grapeland, TX
reply to CDD

Easy reading:

»www.criterioncellular.com/antenn···ane.html

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_plane

CDD

reply to CDD

Ok, so I used a cookie sheet for the base, put it near a window and absolutely no change in signal. Whether I use the antenna or not, I get the following almost always:

RSSI: 44%
-107dBm
2 bars

A month ago I had 3-4 bars all the time but it's always 2 now which is why I thought I'd try out an antenna. Just find it strange that the antenna doesn't help out even a little. I would think I'd see some change, even minor.

Max Signal
Premium
Buffalo, NY
reply to CDD

Sounds like a bad RF port on your device . It is not connecting with external antenna . If antenna were bad and you were connecting properly with it ., Signal would get worse . When adapter is inserted normally interior antenna is disconnected when external antenna adapter is inserted in device . This does not seem to be happening.

dmc271

join:2008-09-02
Stillwater, OK
reply to CDD

CDD: What is your terrain like? I'd recommend taking your setup--including the cookie sheet groundplane--onto your roof and testing the signal again. You can always mount the antenna up there if needed (with better cabling for the long run).

Also, for a fixed location, it's almost always better to use a directional antenna rather than an omnidirectional antenna.

I get about the same signal level as you indoors: RSSI in the -100 range. With two homemade Yagis in a MIMO setup on my roof, aimed at my nearest tower, my RSSI goes to -60. Of course, everyone's situation is different--it all depends on the terrain and the existing signal levels/paths--but height and directionality can usually make a significant difference.

CDD

reply to CDD

I finally found a good place for my antenna (outside on my front porch on top of an aluminum foil covered cookie sheet) and getting the following now:

RSSI -98 dBm
SINR 19 dB

Speeds are great anywhere between 7 - 15Mbps.

One question I have is if there is any issue with leaving the antenna outside (obviously modem is still inside with the cable just running indoors).

The only issue that I really still have is constant disconnects from the 4G LTE network. This happens every 15-30 minutes, sometimes as little as 5 minutes. It's just a quick disconnect that lasts for 5-10 seconds and if you're in the middle of a web browsing session might have to refresh the page. The real issue is using VPN to my employer since this is long enough for you to get kicked out.

Is there anything that can be done on my end for that? I read about Yagi antennas and maybe that helping maintain connection better, but I'm an antenna newbie to say the least so really have no idea. Could be I'm just at the mercy of the network.

Max Signal
Premium
Buffalo, NY

No problem leaving that antenna outside . It is actually an outdoor antenna . , get rid of the aluminum foil . Just make sure your ground plain is ferrous metal . i.e. Not aluminum or stainless steel